Which would prevent another school shooting: All firearms banned, or staff heavily armed
  • Topics:PoliticsGun Control
  • Featured on the home page on Apr 7th 2018
  • Post Of The Day on Feb 19th 2018

No firearms allowed

astral_queenTrishDWFPartyOfOnevividlyprosaic

Staff heavily armed

DW2Darkest_SerenityBudwickhootowlbeachbumZolfiePennyThoughtsSunny_the_skepticRoosterSynysterGates_Howler_Cantona

Other

TiffaneeSofiaZonkeyBallsProdigalSon

Darkest_SerenityTiffaneeStarzAboveBozettePennyThoughtsZonkeyBallsProdigalSonRoosterSynysterGatesMetal_god14BillDer

Neither. The point is preventing the attack from happening at all, not just finding a way to stop the kid after he's already in the school shooting at people. That won't solve the problem.

Sofia Sofia

How about banning children? That should do the trick.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “How about banning children? That should do...

(hehe)

That made me laugh for some reason. I know your jokin.

MonaLea

great post , welcome to Amirite

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

In response to “http://49.media.tumblr.com/860c62e8a086a3eb3d62...

Heavily armed with paintball guns?

Nah... Miniguns should do the trick.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

Maybe a Judge Dredd in every school!

Rooster Rooster

In response to “Maybe a Judge Dredd in every...

Wasn't this version so much better than that Stallone crap? I'm still hoping a sequel gets done some day.

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon

Doing away with schools.

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon

I think every school should have one of these, with at least two different versions of the mounts for the modern gatling type of guns, such as the standard MG.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “Why stop...

There is only one God of Hellfire and since cloning Jeremy Clarkson isn't really an option...

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “There is only one God of Hellfire and since...

True...

But couldn't we mass produce those flame-throwing iron suits?

After all, Trump promised to bring back manufacturing jobs. We could re-purpose all those abandoned car plants. Detroit, the "Motor City", could become the "Deadly Fire Weapons" city.

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

In response to “True... But couldn't we mass produce those...

Det-ro-it...

Detect, rover and hover over, itch can be cured.

Kaboom!

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

Doing away with assault weapons, stricter background checks, lock down schools when in session. And have the Congress stop catering to the NRA and do what they were elected to do.....serve the American people.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Doing away with assault weapons, stricter...

Very good start right there.

Sofia Sofia

I'm afraid neither is a guarantee of success. But, I do believe that the chances of an attack are reduced with armed adults on the site. They could also respond more quickly and likely save more lives.

Taking guns away from law abiding citizens only makes more soft targets. It's a stupid idea.

Budwick Budwick

Neither will prevent a determined shooter.

That said, the idea of arming teachers is horrifying to me. I'm imagining my high school driver's ed teacher with a loaded firearm. (shudder)

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

In response to “Neither will prevent a determined...

I agree, arming the teachers would be disastrous, some crazy kid could take the gun away from a teacher and shoot up the entire class room.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I agree, arming the teachers would be...

Teachers are not police officers or soldiers. They are not qualified to defend a school with deadly force. (Nor should we expect them to.)

Perhaps all schools should do what many inner schools do; Total lock down at all times. Bullet proof glass. Metal detectors. Armed guards at the doors. No one gets in without a pass.

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

In response to “Teachers are not police officers or soldiers...

I agree. I have a young niece who is a teacher, and I doubt she has ever held a gun.

I was asked to pick up a neighbor's child (2nd grade) from school a few years back, he was sick, and his Mom couldn't get home in time. That was an elementary school, I was stopped at the door by a security guy, had to show my ID, then when I went to pick up the child, he ran to me so they let him come home with me.

But since then, they have tightened up security....I think they lock down now, which is a good thing, but like you said previously, if someone wants to kill, they will find a way. Sad that we have to worry about kids, or all of us anymore.

Even at church we have security guards that roam the church parking lot, and armed members are in the sanctuary. Our minister has had death threats...

StarzAbove StarzAbove

Teachers should shoot the kids to the kidneys, regularly, so they could learn how to behave correctly.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “Teachers should shoot the kids to the...

I'm sure you don't mean that. Enough kids were killed in Florida, we don't need anymore deaths.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I'm sure you don't mean that. Enough kids...

If I was/were (this conditional form always confuses me, in certain circumstances) a teacher, I would just tell people to behave. No shooting anyone, no misbehaving of any sort. Just behave.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “If I was/were (this conditional form always...

If it was only that easy. In some schools, the teachers, principals have no control over the kids. They can't punish them in any way because their parents will yell abuse and call in lawyers. They need to bring back the paddle and discipline in that way again. It was very effective. That's what they need.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “If it was only that easy. In some schools...

Well, shooting them in the kidneys can be a procreative start...

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

Sofia Sofia

In response to “Neither. The point is preventing the attack...

The first thing that Trump did as president was sign a bill that allowed the mentally ill easier access to guns. Now he's saying this is a mental problem. Trump is the one with the mental problem, he won't make any decisions about guns because he is in bed with the NRA. And money talks, they don't care how many kids get shot. Wonder how he would feel if someone shot his son or daughter dead.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

Kids should just wear riot gear as a uniform.

JimiHendrix JimiHendrix

That should do it.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

We want less bullets flying everywhere not more

DWF DWF

One big guy with an automatic weapon and a breastplate might deter another cringy fame seeking mentally disabled weirdo from doing the same

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

More violence isn't the answer common sense and good judgment in life are still the best.

Metal_god14

https://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/gudger.asp

My brother teaches in an inner city school. He is trained and has a CCW license. It is impossible to tell when he is carrying his handgun concealed.

Bozette Bozette

Only cowards use weapons to kill others.School environment should be free from any type of weapon.

ezhil

In response to “Only cowards use weapons to kill...

Show me a school where mass shootings have taken place that wasn't declared a gun free zone. Schools are also labeled as Drug Free Zones. How is that working out? Show me a law that has prevented violence, shootings, drugs or any other criminal behavior. There is the world some people would like it to be and then there is the real world.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

Neither one will prevent anything but I'd like to know what insane line of reasoning produced the idea that more people with guns will solve the problem.

urwutuis urwutuis

There should be "qualified", armed personnel at the schools today. I think before they have "teachers" armed, those teachers should be well trained and deemed to have the right temperament for carrying a gun. There are many people who can carry a gun, but don't have what it takes to use it in a stressful situation. I also don't want an unstable teacher to shoot a student in a fit of rage because she, or he, has lost control over their classroom. A soft target is an easy target. How often do we hear of mass shootings in a high security area?

JustJimColo JustJimColo

Being a hypothetical question, the hypothetical answer would have to be all firearms banned. Although, I suppose if one were to employ a semi automatic gattling crossbow the recipient/s of the bolts would be "shot". Having a hypothetical heavily armed staff would not mitigate another school shooting. In this particular question it seems there is no clear answer.

AliceD AliceD

No one is talking about forcing any teacher to carry.
We are talking about allowing school faculty who are willing and trained to be allowed to bring their weapon on campus.
If I were a teacher I would bring mine regardless of the "gun free zone" sign. It is only a misdeanor offense for a ccp holder anyway.

PennyThoughts PennyThoughts