We have had some very different politicians in office from both parties over the last 20 years.  The power has swung back and forth several times and both sides have made a lot of noise about their likes and dislikes.  Has anything really changed in your personal life because of these events?
  • Topics:PoliticsAmerican Politics
  • Featured on the home page on Feb 20th 2018
  • Post Of The Day on Feb 17th 2018

Yes, this!

DW2BudwickThinkerbell_Howler_

Not much

PhilboydStudgeTiffaneeLorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundredProdigalSonLookimhonest

Not a friggin thing

DandyDonWill_JanitorRoosterSynysterGatesFlrdsgns

Only my blood pressure from watching the news!

Nobody :(

Other

DWF

PhilboydStudgePiper2TiffaneeBozetteAdaWill_JanitorThinkerbellCarlaProdigalSonRoosterSynysterGatesMetal_god14Lookimhonest
We have had some very different politicians in office from both parties over the last 20 years. The power has swung back and forth several times and both sides have made a lot of noise about their likes and dislikes. Has anything really changed in your personal life because of these events?

Explained by Will_Janitor...

I was just driving to work and letting my mind wander. I'm not saying that things in government aren't ever important in our personal lives. I'm just saying it's a rarity. :) As always: JMHO

My home decreased in value during Bush's terms. Regained most of that value during Obama's.
My workload significantly fell during Bush's terms, and I had to decrease my pricing. Gas pricing was out the roof, and i drive pretty far. By 2014 I had more than I care to do, and I was able to increase my pricing. Gas prices fell.
The only effect from trump thus far, on me, my ability to absorb the absurdities of government. And...it really is too soon to tell.

Carla Carla

Other than taxes increasing every year, nothing. I care a lot about how much money I have to give to the government.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

Not really! I haven't seen to many changes other than gas prices all the time!

Rooster Rooster

Liberal leadership hasn't done any favors for me. The most recent example was Obamacare. It allowed the government to take over 1/6 of the economy and pretty much destroy the worlds best health care system. For me personally, the cost of my medical care skyrocketed. My healthcare plan evaporated, my premiums doubled, my doctor was no longer accessible in my new plan, I spent an enormous amount of money on deductible expenses. It completely absorbed my savings and reduced my quality of life.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Liberal leadership hasn't done any favors for...

I'm sorry to hear that, Bud. I have been covered by a company plan for quite a few years and though it changes slightly each year, I saw very little difference.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor OP

In response to “I'm sorry to hear that, Bud. I have been...

Thanks Will. I wasn't looking for sympathy, but recognizing that political policies do make real differences in real peoples lives motivated my response.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Thanks Will. I wasn't looking for sympathy...

I don't disagree, I just believe it is a rarity.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor OP

In response to “I don't disagree, I just believe it is a rarity.

I understood the question to be about my own personal experience. Perhaps I misunderstood.

Budwick Budwick

The best healthcare system in the world?

Our health care costs have been skyrocketing for years..
Before Obamacare:

After Obamacare:

I share your frustration over healthcare costs. In the past two years I spent roughly 15-20% of my gross income on insurance premiums, prescription medications, out-of-pocket expenses, etc. It has also impacted my family's quality of life. I don't know how my one daughter with Type I diabetes will ever be able to afford healthcare.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

ACA was a republican plan. We haven't had liberal leadership since 1980.

urwutuis urwutuis

I have seen my standard of living going down since around 2000. I suspect many others are in the same boat.

I haven't notice all that much difference between who is in charge - Dems and Reps - in this regard. That's one of the reasons it's frustrating to watch all this bickering between U.S. citizens. Left, Right, Centrist.. nothing seems to change our standard living or the divide between the haves and the havenots.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

Carla Carla

In response to “My home decreased in value during Bush's...

Are you saying that those changes were a result of the administrations in office?

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor OP

In response to “Are you saying that those changes were a...

Well...obama took over in the middle of the worse decline since the depression. He ended with unemployment at a record low, and household income at a record high. I just know that people are building and remodeling now, and weren't. Interest rates had been kept low. I think helping the auto industry, which was paid back, was huge.
I don't know...i just know who was in and who was out:]

Carla Carla

In response to “Well...obama took over in the middle of the...

I agree. It's hard to figure out what things cause other things to get better or worse, or if those things are just a natural part of economic fluctuations. There are not real dots to connect most of the time. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor OP

In response to “I agree. It's hard to figure out what things...

No, there isn't.:)
I have often said that a president is a figurehead. But, some come in not just telling us what they will do, but actually having plans on how to accomplish those things.

Carla Carla

Actually, it has Will. It has profoundly raised the quality of my life because..........I no longer watch any news. The change has been magical.

Freeranger Freeranger

Not really and the swing of power and fairly even distribution is probably the very reason why. Two major parties and neither one has really been able to push their agenda when they have been in power. I mean right now there is a GOP friendly Senate, House, President, and Judiciary. And they still struggle to get anything meaningful accomplished. Solidarity tends to be found at election time and then it's back to squabbling for what each individual wants. Sure checks and balances is a beautiful thing but because of it progress (or regressing) can be at quite the crawl.

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon

In response to “Not really and the swing of power and fairly...

I agree. Sometimes I believe it is better that way. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor OP

In Canada, Trudeau's carbon tax is driving up the cost of living for people barely living pay cheque to pay cheque as it is.
You're not allowed to criticize the carbon tax that punishes poor people for the crime of not wanting their families to freeze in the winter though, because it was Trudeau's idea. Criticize it publicly and people will call you an alt-right nazi or an "environment hater". if Harper came up with it (which he wouldn't, he actually lowered taxes) the same people defending the carbon tax would be rioting in the streets about it.

Thedudeyouhatetomeet Thedudeyouhatetomeet

Well for one thing I used to be able to generally assume that I wasn't talking to a fascist sympathizer

DWF DWF

Isn't that funny, no matter who is in charge our lives keep ratteling along. Better study up and vote for the best people not the popular ones.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

Actually, yes, and a great deal at that...though that is only partly due to politicians. I and others I know have experienced some pretty drastic changes in standard of living, economic security, healthcare, etc. For some, things changed for the better, worse for others, and it's a mixed bag for a few.

One of the biggest changes I see is the growing divide in our country that is moving what used to be a few on either end with the majority bunched around the middle of the political spectrum to an appreciably larger, if still relatively small, number on either extreme, a much slimmer midsection, and a growing number moving either further left or right. There are many causes for this, and it cannot be blamed solely on whichever flavor of idiocy happens to be driving the DC clown car at any given time.

Changes in our laws have brought about identifiable changes in people's lives, as well. Plane travel has changed quite a bit since 9/11, and that is increasingly true of other means of travel. Zero-tolerance policies adopted over the past two decades may have long-term consequences for kids today that are unimaginable to those of my generation, as it's been estimated that ~25-40+% of our youth will be arrested by age 23. Privacy is something I took for granted growing up...kids born today will never truly know what that is.

I am not the same person I was 20 years ago. My worldview has changed dramatically. My respect for the institutions of government, academia, media (journalism and entertainment), business...and society as a whole have declined almost to the vanishing point. That said, I see no significant difference between the left and the right...the changes have happened regardless of what letter the president sports behind his name or which party controls the House, the Senate, or both.

As always...JMHO

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Actually, yes, and a great deal at...

And we'll respected by me. 😊

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor OP

Yes.
Lying, crooked, corrupt politicians and government officials disgust me more than ever now. (puke)

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

Yup I’m getting more money every paycheck thanks to the current administration.

DW2 DW2