"Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People"....

DandyDonCarlaWill_JanitorAdaProdigalSonBozetteDW2

Nobody :)

dru18StarzAboveDandyDonBozetteAdaWill_JanitorCarlaProdigalSonSynysterGates

Explained by Piper2...

No particular "point", aside from how often I've seen similar quotes. I can foresee what many people will say, should they choose to comment.

There are all kinds of dogs.

Assassin Dogs:

Ninja dogs:

Even Boxers:

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

And that....is why guns have a safety on them..

Had the dog turned the safety off in mid air...then hit the trigger, it would be a different story..

Carelessness can get you shot by a fence too..

DandyDon DandyDon

In response to “And that....is why guns have a safety on...

Yeah...many people have been killed by a gun, due to someone's "carelessness".

Piper2 Piper2 OP

The quote in your post is correct.
Accidents happen everyday, careless people.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “The quote in your post is correct. Accidents...

They DO! The gun does kill people, though, wouldn't you say? Might be a dog that sets it off, a baby, or a little kid.

Piper2 Piper2 OP

There are all kinds of dogs.

Assassin Dogs:

Ninja dogs:

Even Boxers:

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

People with guns kill people.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “People with guns kill people.

And dogs. Dogs, little kids, and even babies have killed a a people with a gun.

Piper2 Piper2 OP

Try pointing your finger without a gun and no one gets killed...

JD JD

What happened too the dog? 乂ᵒ .ᴼ乂

Ada Ada

In response to “What happened too the dog? 乂ᵒ .ᴼ乂

The dogs that have shot or killed a people with a gun, have generally been found innocent of murderous intent.

Piper2 Piper2 OP

Every year in the US, over 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs, and over 25,000 require reconstructive surgery as a result of their injuries. Over 75,000 are hospitalized by falls resulting from tripping over their dogs, and most of the victims of these falls are women. Clearly it's time to consider a common sense ban on private dog ownership.

Maze Maze

In response to “Every year in the US, over 4.5 million people...

How about this one. " Ban all cars from drunk drivers" (hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates

Good point. According to available data, there have been 2 dog bite fatalities in the US this year, and around 2,000 by gun.

I know of few people who wish to ban gun ownership.

Piper2 Piper2 OP

In this case the irresponsible care of the owner got him shot. Guns can be safe, just know your do's and don'ts

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Lol, stirring the pot huh? I do agree with the quote...even in this case it's a person's actions or lack there of that led to their death. The gun is just a powerful tool that people are able to wield. Another good quote is "power in the wrong hands can lead to ruin."

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon

In response to “Lol, stirring the pot huh? I do agree with...

Although I don't see anything negative about "stirring the pot" on an opinion site , that wasn't really my intent.

Yeah, the gun is surely a powerful tool of death that people wield.

Piper2 Piper2 OP

While that saying may be an oversimplification, and it is true that guns are a tool used to kill people...only people murder people - guns do not commit murder.

What happened to that hunter was an accident caused by carelessness. People do die due to carelessness with guns. People die due to carelessness without guns, too, and far more often. Even among intentional use of firearms to cause the death of a person, ~ 2 of 3 are suicides, not homicides.

If all items used to murder people were banned, life as we know it would be dramatically changed. If all the things that cause death through carelessness were banned for human use, human life would literally cease to exist. It therefore becomes a matter of cost vs. benefit. Many believe the benefits of banning guns would outweigh the costs. I disagree.

As always...JMHO

Bozette Bozette

In response to “While that saying may be an...

I saw someone here on this site state: "I’m so sick and tired of hearing this **** about guns killing people". I've seen and heard many other similar comments, every time there is any kind of discussion about guns killing people.

I could not dispute much of anything you've said, even I wanted to. I don't think that many at all believe that banning guns would outweigh any cost, though.

What I know with a fair amount of certainty, is that countless people would be alive, if someone with a gun had not snapped and killed another in a moment of anger. They almost surely wouldn't have, had they not been carrying or had easy access to a gun.
I figure a former police captain of good repute, would be considered a responsible gun owner.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/10/...ial/index.html

That is my only 'point', aside from the fact that a non-person has indeed killed a people with a gun...

Piper2 Piper2 OP

In response to “I saw someone here on this site state:...

What I know factually is that people die senselessly each and every day. They die because a driver was distracted, because of mistakes made by health care professionals, because they were careless, because someone else was, because they took or quit taking dangerous - but legal drugs, because a parent or caregiver was inattentive, because they were inattentive, because of countless other reasons, and because of no reason other than sometimes that's just how things happen.

I understand that some people think that more laws, more restrictions, or gun bans would help prevent gun deaths. I also get that few understand that laws were already in place that could have prevented a great many deaths, including the one in Parkland recently. Often the authorities simply do not do their jobs and do not utilize laws that are already in effect. I also know that the people committing gun crimes simply do not follow the law.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “What I know //factually// is that people die...

I'll go out a limb here, and say that I figure more people than not know that factually.

I understand also, that many people think certain restrictions on the kinds of guns and ammunition people can so easily buy, is not a violation or threat to the 2nd Amendment they often rather rabidly defend.

Most people I know or listen to, are indeed aware that there are laws already in place, that could, may have, have prevented many deaths.

Piper2 Piper2 OP

In response to “I'll go out a limb here, and say that I...

Setting aside all else, please explain exactly which guns and ammunition should be restricted and why.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Setting aside all else, please explain...

If I had some definitive solution that I felt firm about, that might even even lessen the number of gun deaths I hear about almost every day....I'd be figuratively shouting it from the rooftops. Not here, probably , but in other ways.

I can't think of any reason I've heard that is valid to me, why just about anyone should be able to buy a military style rifle, and the high-capacity magazines so often used in massacres of people or animals. It is concerning to me, knowing how easily people can acquire them. I support restrictions on who can legally buy and own them, and sell them.

Piper2 Piper2 OP

In response to “If I had some definitive //solution// that...

Okay, so the "military style rifle" should be restricted because of its appearance? Because that is basically the only difference between a "military style rifle" and other semi-auto rifles. Well, except that some that aren't as scary looking are more lethal.

Rifles (all rifles - the really, really scary looking ones and the less scary ones combined) are only used in ~ 3% of homicides involving firearms. Rifles (and again this includes all rifles, not just "military style" rifles) are only used in ~ 39% of mass shootings, so it's not even the "gun of choice for mass shooters" as the MSM would have you believe.

I understand that people think that limiting magazine sizes would make a massive difference, but the truth is it really would not. States where magazine sizes are limited, ban those with the capacity to hold greater than between 10 and 20 rounds. A shooter can easily change magazines rapidly . A few municipalities ban mags over 5 rounds for rifles and shotguns, a limitation easily overcome by using handguns, many of which come standard with mags holding 10-17 rounds, again quickly swapped out.

The measures you propose are feel-good "solutions" that would have little to no impact in reality. I know this is not a subject we will ever see eye-to-eye on, and you will continue to support new gun restrictions, while I will continue rabidly defending the 2nd Amendment.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Okay, so the "military //style//...

I understand that you have a lot more experience with and knowledge of guns than I. I do read quite a bit about this issue, however, so I'm aware that there are more powerful and effective firearms than the "scary looking" AR-15-style rifles.

I don't claim to know how a big a difference limiting magazine sizes would have. If it made even a small difference, as opposed to a massive one, that would likely mean less people dead.

I know we will never see to eye-to-eye on this subject, too, because we apparently have a different interpretation of the 2nd amendment. Yes, I will continue to support gun restrictions that I discern to be reasonable.

Piper2 Piper2 OP

In response to “I understand that you have a lot more...

By the magazine size not making a massive difference, I mean basically none at all. I used the exaggerated term, because many (not referring to you) have a misguided belief that is true. Why basically none? Because in most mass shootings (not using Everytown's misleading definition) it would make zero difference. Mass shooters tend to 1) choose gun-free zones, 2) choose locations where they have a clear advantage, 3) not target specific people, and 4) either do not expect to live or are ready to die. The mere seconds it would take over the entire shooting timeline to swap out mags would have made no difference in a completely gun-free zone, such as a school. Take the recent church shooting in Texas, there's no doubt the guy intended to die. In small town Texas, he might have faced a gun right inside the door, but certainly knew someone would quickly be shooting back. It would not have even made a difference in Vegas had Paddock used all the weapons he owned and done so efficiently...which he absolutely did not do.

I know we'll never agree. But it has been nice talking to you. :)

Bozette Bozette

In response to “By the magazine size not making a massive...

I always appreciate your input, whether I agree with it, or not.

Piper2 Piper2 OP

Take the guns out of the equation and we would have seventeen people still with us today.

dru18 dru18

In response to “Take the guns out of the equation and we...

last week, 17 kids across the country were killed
by illegal aliens

not word of concern

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

People don’t kill People. Physics kills People

DW2 DW2