• Topics:PoliticsGun Control
  • Featured on the home page on Mar 5th 2018
  • Post Of The Day on Feb 26th 2018

DW2OzSurferhootowlChuck_Tom

DWFLorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundredProdigalSonajmsituationTrish

OzSurferWill_JanitorSynysterGatesChuck_Tom
Gun control measures that should be taken after the latest shootings. 1. All schools should eliminate homework. Kids shouldn’t have to work from home. At the same time that would completely do away with the need for backpacks. Kids could simply leave all their books in their lockers. I expect some debate on this. 2. One way in and out whenever possible at every public school. 3. Armed security at every public school. 4. More concealed carry permits for people who want to defend themselves and through action save the lives of many others That’s all.

I've been trying to think of a way to quickly disable - but not kill - everyone in a school. Like as soon as an active shooter is reported, flood the building with nitrous oxide. (smile)

I can't tell if this post is serious or not, but allowing guns in schools would be insane. School shootings would be a daily occurrence.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

if I was to choose

I choose the chalkboard

but then......

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

I don't think we are at the point where schools need to become armed fortresses. But maybe that is the inevitable direction this country is headed in, if nothing else will stop mass shootings.

Thibault Thibault

Or you could not let teenagers/people with ties to terrorist organizations buy guns

DWF DWF

In response to “Or you could not let teenagers/people with...

Good limits!
I vote we add crazy people to your list!
Actually, I'd like to see crazy people removed from the general population. Not jail, more like a secure hospital. What do you think?

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Good limits! I vote we add crazy people to...

We already commit people when they're a danger to themselves or others. Forcibly locking up people for mental illnesses beyond that is inhumane and evil.

DWF DWF

In response to “We already commit people when they're a...

"We already commit people when they're a danger to themselves or others." - Are you sure DWF? What about virtually every mass shooter over the past decade? They weren't locked up.

I don't understand how putting people unable to function, at high risk of hurting others into a protected environment for their own safety (as well as others) is inhumane or evil.

Budwick Budwick

More like schools should be done away with and tell the parents they must home school. Don't like it - don't have them.Think of all the tax money saved by eliminating schools.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

In response to “More like schools should be done away with...

It seems that everything will be electronic in the fairly near future so all they will need is a phone, tablet or watch. Of course in about 5 more years they will all need reading glasses. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “It seems that everything will be electronic...

OH ya. Schools can buy kids the device once then do all homeschooling. Big savings for all and it might prevent people from over breeding if they are expected to take care of the things themselves(chew)

What we really need to do is eliminate people entirely. They pose a bigger threat to guns than vice versa

DWF DWF

In response to “What we really need to do is eliminate people...

That would definitely solve all our problems. Ha!

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

All of this will be forgotten after a while like it has been for other shootings. Then people will start crying gun control and blaming gun owners after the next shooting.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “I've been trying to think of a way to quickly...

I hadn't heard the laughing gas idea before. Interesting. Ha!

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In city of Cleveland, they're already a daily occurrence. I'm not being flippant - I'm serious. They just are more targeted, take out a one or two - targets; not dozens.

I think that's a ... cultural problem though - gangs, drugs, etc.

Parkland was on the other end of the spectrum. Shooting was done by the time police arrived. Maybe, MAYBE an armed teacher or guard could have responded to take out the shooter and save some lives.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “In city of Cleveland, they're already a daily...

There was an armed guard at Parkland.

urwutuis urwutuis

In response to “There was an armed guard at Parkland.

We can't even count on the "good guys" with training and weapons to protect us! Your damn right we need more guns!

4 out of 4 deputies with inadequate courage to engage the shooter - hard to believe, isn't it? Well, as it turns out, Broward county was part of an Obama scheme several years ago. The aim was to "correct" the racial imbalance of incarcerations. An offshoot of that program was to lighten up on student suspensions and arrests. Broward county saw their school system as a pipeline to incarceration. So, the sheriff providing all that "amazing" leadership had trained his underlings to turn a blind eye to student crime. Phuckin aye, we need more guns!

Budwick Budwick

In response to “We can't even count on the "good...

Oh, it's Obama's fault. Of course. What was I thinking?

Easy access to guns certainly isn't the problem so let's make sure there are plenty of them in school.

They don't have enough money for school supplies, but guns are no problem.
Another police force only with less training.. What could go wrong?
And it would make the perfect learning environment.

The shooter wasn't deterred by armed guards but he would be by armed teachers?
I fail to see the logic.
That only ensures teachers will be shot first.

More guns is a solution to gun violence like heroin is a solution to morphine addiction.

urwutuis urwutuis

In response to “Oh, it's Obama's fault. Of course. What was I...

Obama certainly did nothing to help the situation, did he?

School funding is a separate problem - aggravated by ridiculous union pensions in many cases. How much are those dead kids lives worth Urwut?

Not another police force - armed people that can defend themselves and others. (I bet even the deputies would have pulled their weapons if THEY had been the target.)

You want to analyze the shooters stand of mind as he engaged in murder? Do you REALLY think he was of sound mind at the time? For all we know, he was aware that the deputies had been trained not to interfere!

Taking guns from the innocent simply makes them sitting ducks - exactly like those kids were last week.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Obama certainly did nothing to help the...

You're right. Obama didn't do shit.

That was my question. Where do the funds come from?

Yes it is another police force and we already have more guards in this country than teachers.
As inequality grows the number of guards grows with it and if you think the cops are there to protect you and me you might want to take another look at Standing Rock.

Trained not to interfere? and he knew it? Possible but a bit of a stretch don't you think?

Obviously a screw was loose somewhere and I'm not advocating taking guns from anyone except those bent on evil. I own several and I'm not eager to give them up but I don't take them to the store or work

The addition of dogs would be a much better option. Aside from being able to detect firearms before they're in the building people are more afraid of being mauled by a dog than of being shot.
With armed teachers a minor scuffle could rapidly turn deadly.
I do understand your perspective but I still think the pitfalls outweigh the benefits and thinking back to my schooldays does instill me with confidence in armed teachers.

urwutuis urwutuis

In response to “You're right. Obama didn't do shit. That was...

I don't know where the money comes from. I don't know at this point what needs funding!

They've been talking about using empty classrooms for policemen to do paperwork - instead of going back to HQ. Cost - $ zero

There may be teachers already trained, with guns, with conceal carry permit willing to carry to school. Cost - $ Zero

That business about the Broward County School and police training is true. It's hard for me to imagine a police officer simply waiting outside the building while kids were being shot. Cowardice is one possible explanation. But, FOUR of them? The training scenario suddenly becomes more realistic.

I like the idea of dogs on site.

Budwick Budwick

That is a good idea. Gas them to sleep- Then everyone is down without much damage. (wary)

The bad guys would adapt and wear gas masks, making everyone else more vulnerable.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “The bad guys would adapt and wear gas masks...

Yea, I thought of that too. It was just a funny visual (similar to an old Star Trek episode) and I wanted to share..

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “Yea, I thought of that too. It was just a...

I saw that one too. (The Original Star Trek series can be watched on Hulu.)

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

Yup. :) Smart.

DW2 DW2 OP

You could just make a law that bans gas masks duh....

AliceD AliceD

In response to “You could just make a law that bans gas masks...

Yeah, that will surely stop criminals from using them. Let's just ban everything. How old are you, 10?

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

Guns are already in many, if not most, schools today. In addition to armed guards, some schools contract with local law enforcement to have a mini-station or permanently assigned officers inside the schools. A few large districts have their own police forces.

LA being one with their own department aquired surplus military equipment from the federal government. Those items have since been returned as there was public outcry over a police force whose jurisdiction is limited to the public school system possessing a MRAP armored vehicle, three grenade launchers, and 61 M-16s.

http://laschoolreport.com/apolo...or-protesters/

https://www.counterpunch.org/20...of-la-schools/

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Guns are already in many, if not most...

Yea, I'm not comfortable with the militarization of a police force regardless of whether they are in/at a school or far away from one.

Well.. I guess it's good we're trying something. I hope the existence of teachers with pistols will be enough to deter a school shooting. I find it difficult to imagine the outcome of a situation improving by a teacher pulling out a weapon, but... I've been wrong before.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “Yea, I'm not comfortable with the...

Neither am I.

Scenario: A gunman bursts into a classroom and starts shooting:

Option 1: Most or all of the occupants of the classroom are slaughtered and the shooter moves on to the next classroom.

Option 2: The teacher pulls their handgun, aims, and drops the shooter, greatly limiting the loss of life.

Your choice?

At SH, at least two people, the principal and a teacher, may have - if armed - taken out the shooter in the lobby prior to him reaching a classroom.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Neither am I. Scenario: A gunman bursts...

That sounds good but I wonder how it would actually play out in the heat of the moment. I've read policemen firing a weapon at a person within six feet hit that person less than 50% of the time. That's why you often see so many shell casings at the scene of a shoot out.

Now imagine a teacher firing at a student at twice that distance in a classroom full of other students. I think it's a risky proposition.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “That sounds good but I wonder how it would...

Of course it is a risky proposition, but you miss the point. You have two options. One guarantees maximum loss of life. The other means possibly limiting the fatalities. Which do you choose?

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Of course it is a risky proposition, but you...

Right. I would choose having a teacher with a weapon that could possibly limit fatalities.

Using that type of reasoning I would also enact stricter gun laws with tougher penalties.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “Right. I would choose having a teacher with...

Because that worked so well with alcohol and drugs? Murder, and thus mass shootings, are already illegal. Some states have the toughest penalty possible. Has that stopped murders/mass murders?

Giving students a better possibility of surviving a mass shooting really is not directly comparable.

Perhaps we should penalize the USAF for not reporting the conviction that would have prevented the Sutherland Springs shooter from passing a background check and the FBI for not following up on the Parkland shooter. We have laws in place that are not being enforced. And how confident can people be that police or armed guards will protect students when the school resource officer (an armed deputy) and three other deputies decided not to enter the Parkland school during the shooting?

In addition to the failure of government officials, we have a mental health problem, as evidenced by the number of mass shooters who had known mental health issues. That needs to be addressed, and not by taking away someone's rights who has not been deemed a danger, but by getting to the root of the problem and then ammending or enacting laws if need be.

Bozette Bozette

"I can't tell if this post is serious or not, but allowing guns in schools would be insane. School shootings would be a daily occurrence."

Not really.
It was common for schools to have shooting clubs in the past. Some still do today. So guns were kept in those schools. Nor was it uncommon for kids to bring guns to school, to hunt before/after school. There weren't school shootings, in those days.

So the problem obviously isn't guns, or the ease of access to them.
It's obviously a change in thinking about the value of lives.
And that comes from the home and family, for the most part.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

I can't say I would choose these measures but I would like to see there at least be an attempt made to pass legislation. I've seen reports that Trump is backing the expansion of background checks which I would totally support.

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon

In response to “I can't say I would choose these measures but...

I would like to see something, but am really concerned that a hastily written law will be nothing but crap in it's real affect on the problem.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Better back ground and gun checks to make sure it is not stolen or defaced.

Homework can be done online and submitted similarly to the way it is on college "Blackboard."

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

DW2 DW2 OP

I'm not sure I understood the post but I'm agreeing with the no homework part, for the really young kids anyway. Getting into University without it would seem impossible. As far as guns in schools are concerned, I don't understand how anyone is able to get a gun into a school these days. Isn't there some sort of screening process as kids arrive? or is that just some schools?

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “I'm not sure I understood the post but I'm...

Actually very few.

DW2 DW2 OP

Earlier this week in Cleveland a kid brought a rifle - A FREAKIN RIFLE to school on the school bus. Walked into school. He ended up shooting himself while in the restroom. No one is saying if he offed himself on purpose or it was accidental.

How does THAT happen? How did he conceal a rifle?

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Earlier this week in Cleveland a kid brought...

Wow! Thanks for explaining, I hadn’t heard that. But yes exactly, how does a kid bring a rifle to school these days? Glad no one else was hurt though. I remember as a teen, I used to do target shooting as a school sport and we would bring our .22’s or shotguns to school on our bicycles and would store them at the back of the class room and would leave the ammo with the teacher. It’s hard to believe how much things have changed since then.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

1. I would agree with eliminating homework for younger kids, though it's really not completely feasible with older students. Backpacks are required in many schools, and weigh so much as to actually be harmful. That's beside the fact that the internet renders them unnecessary.

Schools should be administered from the local level. All the federal mandates piled atop state mandates force teachers to spend a great deal of time on paperwork that used to be spent teaching. The barrage of tests and the competition between schools to outperform other schools generally means that the focus is on "teaching" to the tests just to produce higher scores. The result is that kids memorize, regurgitate, rinse, and repeat endlessly through 13 years of schooling today without ever truly learning. Concepts such as critical thinking skills are sacrificed for conformity mandated by people who have no clue as to the reality of the kids/parents lives, prospects, needs, or desires.

2. You can designate a particular entrance be used, locking access to other doors from the outside, but safety necessitates more than one exit.

3. If armed security is needed/desired, I have no problem with that. I also have no problem with faculty/staff who have been screened being allowed to conceal carry. I think if that is done, however, that only the administration should be aware who is designated to carry, that those designated be prohibited from telling anyone, particularly the students, that they are carrying, and that the firearm should be on their person at all times (i.e., not kept in a purse or desk).

4. Agreed.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “1. I would agree with eliminating homework...

Agreed 100% love. Thanks for thinking it through. :)

DW2 DW2 OP

None of those ideas address reasons that students shoot other students.

ajmsituation ajmsituation

Backpacks should be unnecessary in schools, anyway.
C'mon! We live in the electronic age. It's a simple matter to have all texts and homework in an electronic format. (Well, except for art, I guess)

I find it amazing that there are schools that give out "free" laptops for students to do homework on - but still require purchasing textbooks and school supplies (paper, pencils, pens, etc). I mean, what's the point of spending money on duplicate processes (computer vs paper)?

--
Kids can't leave their books in their lockers in large schools. The lockers are shared, or they are too small, or the kids don't have time to get to the lockers between classes, or there aren't enough lockers for all the kids.

--
I was bullied from elementary through high school.
One bully was so bad, I brought a hunting knife and told him if he ever touched me or my friends again - I would kill him.
But for the most, I just told myself that it was temporary and I would never have to see those people after graduation. (otherwise, I would probably have resorted to a mass killing)

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

As a kid I always thought it was unfair to do homework after school.So I agree with everything you said.

hootowl hootowl