It can be quite exhausting coming up with excuse after excuse and constantly trying to find someone to blame for the way we feel, <strong>amirite?</strong>

ProdigalSonSynysterGatesStarzAboveSunny_the_skepticRoosterWill_JanitorSofiaHimPhilboydStudgeOzSurferbeachbum

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

Piper2OzSurferSofiaAdaWill_JanitorThinkerbellRoosterSynysterGatesHim
It can be quite exhausting coming up with excuse after excuse and constantly trying to find someone to blame for the way we feel, amirite?

Successful people find ways to cope without dragging other people down.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Yes, yes and yes. It's always someone or something that is blamed on for the way a person feels at that moment.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “Yes, yes and yes. It's always someone or...

Of course. Because it's obvious we are a species that is unable to produce its own negativity. We can only create it and dish it out or receive it from others.

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon OP

Exactly. Some just can't justify what they themselves are doing to others, so they play the victim.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Exactly. Some just can't justify what they...

They do....I've been guilty of it myself. And there's no getting past it until you focus inwards and stop bringing others into your own emotions. All they can do is influence. We are the only ones that can control.

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon OP

It's nothing else than lying to yourself, just take responsibility and admit you screw up.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

I agree with all the others but I'm running out of excuses!

Rooster Rooster

In response to “I agree with all the others but I'm running...

Maybe you need to write a post asking for some new ones so you can update your list.

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon OP

I'll stick with the tried and true. My dog ate my homework. Ha!

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “Successful people find ways to cope without...

Some people delight in dragging others down to their level. Low self esteem, etc.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

I agree Will....but I kind of want to change out successful for responsible.

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon OP

It was a vast right-wing conspiracy.

It was misogyny.

It was the Russians.

It was Comey.

...

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “It was a vast right-wing conspiracy. It was...

No. It was this guy.

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon OP

In response to “No. It was this...

It was Zack Morris...?

I think it was Bill. Hillary would have had a half-dozen Secret Service agents watching him 24-7 if she had become President.

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “It was Zack Morris...? I think it was Bill...

Damn right it was Zack Morris. Biggest douche bag ever.

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon OP

In response to “Damn right it was Zack Morris. Biggest...

Um... I would venture to say 2nd biggest.

But I admit it's close. (hehe)

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “Um... I would venture to say 2nd...

Lol, photo finish.

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon OP

That's why I do my best to not do that. I do a lot of self-reflection when things are going wrong.

Sofia Sofia

In response to “That's why I do my best to not do that. I do...

Me too Sofia, I'm my own worst critic.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

I try to call what I do self reflection but usually it looks more like self loathing.

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon OP

In response to “I try to call what I do self reflection but...

Responsible people usually expect more from themselves than others. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Too many people these days don't accept responsibility for their own situation in life. It's easier to blame someone else for our failures, and sadly, the culture we are living in today, encourages that.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “Too many people these days don't accept...

No doubt. Sometimes it's just pathetic.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “No doubt. Sometimes it's just pathetic.

I think it's just another means to push socialism by telling some people they are entitled what those who have earned more, have. What happens after they have taken it and there are no more wealthy to take it from? At some point the teat runs dry.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

I've seen a few people on here promoting this redistribution of wealth Will. I wrote a story that outline their mindset.

There are two women, Sally and Jane.
Both get a job in a small company and start at $15 an hour.
They both rent small apartments.
Sally goes out and buys a new car for $20,000.
Jane buys a serviceable older car for $5,000.
5 years later, Jane has saved $15,000 more than Sally because she wasn’t making car payments.
Jane now has enough for a down payment and buys a house. Sally is still in the apartment.
After 5 more years, Jane trades in her older car and buys another used car for $7,000.
Sally trades hers in and buys another new car for $25,000. (Inflation)
1o more years pass and Jane sells her home for a $300,000. Sally still lives in an apartment.
Sally says life is unfair and believes she is entitled to half of what Jane sold her house for, because she claims Jane is wealthy and there needs to redistribution of wealth.

That is the mindset of too many people these days.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “I've seen a few people on here promoting this...

I think a lot people talk about the 1% ers. It is hard to argue that someone needs a 100 billion dollars because they once owned a monopoly in tech, but they never say what the number is that is too much. Like usual it is a lot of complaining without a firm idea of how to fix it. Hell they can't even agree on what a living wage is, yet that is the buzz word for businesses.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “I think a lot people talk about the 1% ers...

With the push for socialism Will, it affects us all. Even if they took 100% of everything those 1%er's have, what happens in a couple years when there are no more 1%er's and that money is gone? Remember that the tax base from the ultra rich would also be gone. Then they would want it from the 10%ers, and then the 30%ers. The people who still had their money by that point would all be living overseas.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “With the push for socialism Will, it affects...

That's the way it would trend. I agree.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

And I look at it this way.. wealth is constantly being redistributed. The uber wealthy have been having most of the success lately, and the divide between the haves and the have-nots is ever-widening. In my opinion it's partly because wealth begets power which begets wealth, and partly due to other economic factors - automation, globalization, etc..

I have seen images of cities where there is only a few meters between shining high-rises and shanty towns with no running water. I can't help but fear this is where we're heading.

I usually have a grim outlook on such things, so I could be wrong.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “And I look at it this way.. wealth is...

Phil, What would we do without the uber wealthy? Take Bill Gates. He started Microsoft which currently employs 124,000 people world wide. Warren Buffet's company's employ over 367,000. Would those jobs exist without the uber wealthy? Would those companies exist? How many billions does it take to even start some of these new companies?

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “Phil, What would we do without the uber...

We definitely need "job creators", and there will always be some people doing better than others. I just don't like the current trend of growing wealth disparity.

How can a representative style government work when the wealthy have unlimited access to politicians while the rest of us are scrimping and saving, simply in an attempt to maintain our current standard of living?

And why does it take millions to win a seat in Congress?
To me this means money somehow equates to votes. The the more money you have, the more say you have in who gets elected.

I don't have any answers, but I do believe we have a problem.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “We definitely need "job creators"...

Your comments couldn't have been more true Phil. I don't think we have had "representatives", in a long long time.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

Phil, the reason why our lifer politicians on the left and the right despise Trump so much is because he couldn't be bought off(like they all are) when he put his hat in the ring to run for POTUS, therefor why they're rightfully fearful that he as our CIC would/will expose the decades of corruption going on in DC
Therefore WHY they as lifer politicians who made their millions being LIFER politicians, as well as our complicit MSM, constantly on a daily basis try to portray Trump as being dumb, stupid, incompetent etc. etc.
Phil in your real life of making vital decisions for your own personal finances and your family's safety... who would you entrust more... lifer politicians like the Clintons, Pelosi, Shumer, McCain, Waters the Bush's etc. who made their MILLIONS as lifer politicians serving WE THE PEOPLE, or a self made Billionaire like Trump who ran for office to MAGA.... KNOWING damn well he would be ridiculed by our media and that he as BILLIONAIRE would no longer be able to live out his life being a private citizen living the opulent lifestyle as he was use to living for over 30 plus years.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “Phil, the reason why our lifer politicians on...

Gronk, I think we have all been indoctrinated into believing this group or that group should be paying more taxes, instead of saying the government is spending and wasting too much money. If you can imagine something, the government is spending money on it.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

Hey Gronk. I'm directing this response not only to you, but to Jim as well (Hey Jim). I thought it would be cleaner than starting multiple threads. Of course anyone is free to chime in.

My concern is that the standard of living of most Americans is going down, and has been for awhile. Furthermore I see no reason to believe this will end anytime soon.

Disclaimer: this is just my opinion, based mostly on personal observation. I don't like the generally accepted standard of living measurement, which is basically Real GDP over the number of adults. The reason being is that wealth is far from evenly distributed, so an average like this does not represent most of us.

I don't believe economics is a zero-sum game. That is, just because the rich are getting richer doesn't mean the rest of us are getting poorer. They could be pulling the rest of us along with them. That being said, I believe most of us are indeed getting poorer these days, once the cost of things like health care, food, automobiles are taken into account. Same disclaimer as above.

Do you agree that the standard of living of most Americans is going down? Do you believe we all have the right to become as wealthy as possible, or would there be a point at which you would feel wealth has become too concentrated?

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “Hey Gronk. I'm directing this response not...

Phil, I do not agree that the standard of living in the USA is going down..... I mean COME ON just those living off of our country's Welfare system bennies are IN FACT living like Kings and Queens compared to the TRULY POOR and NEEDY of those being truly oppressed in their countries.

If anyone living in our great country hasn't achieved their America Dream, that's on THEM, not because of them being the "victim" of this or that.

I became pregnant at 16 years old when I was a Junior in HS in 1980, and back then I was the ONLY girl in my HS to be "pregnant at 16" when it was an embarrassment to me and my family to be "pregnant at 16".. not an easy way to make MONEY as a pregnant teenager to submit a tape to MTV as me be pregnant at 16 hoping they'd pick ME to be on their freakin' reality TV show to SUPPOSELDY prevent teenage pregnancies in our country, smh.

IF not for my parents(especially my dad) being SO AGAINST government assistance to help me and my premature baby and my parents FORCING me as a teenager to stay in school to get my HS diploma to graduate on time with my fellow classmates...I WOULD HAVE BECOME just another loser DEMOCRAT welfare mom pushing out more babies RELYING on the GOVERNMENT(other peoples money) to support me. Whereas BECAUSE of my dad and mom, I being "pregnant at 16" back then went on to become a productive member of our country as a single working mom in the 80's and 90's NEVER EVER having to rely on the government!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “Phil, I do not agree that the standard of...

Thanks for the reply.

I give you credit for persevering after having a child at such a young age. I suspect many people in your situation would not have finished HS.

You and I probably have similar work ethics.

I'm proud to never have used any form of welfare, unemployment benefits, etc.. Just recently I had carpal tunnel surgery on both of my hands. Being a software developer who sits at a keyboard all day, I believe I was entitled to workers compensation from my employer. I chose not to.. barely gave it a thought really. Why should my employer have to pay for something like that? It didn't seem right to me.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “Thanks for the reply. I give you credit for...

Phil, my husband and I were both raised to never EVER take handouts from the GOVERNMENT(other people's money)..unfortunately too many in our country have been INDOCTRINATED to "feel" that they DESERVE to live the same American Dream lifestyle as those who bust their asses off to provide for their own families.
You know what really pissed me off...is when my 13 year old recently asked me if WE were poor!!!! ONLY because the actual poor kids in her middle school(getting free lunch) had IPhones and wore "mall clothes".
How f'd up has our country become were the WORKING MIDDLE CLASS kids like my daughter, have to question their parents asking if THEY'RE poor because of the welfare kids(getting free lunch) wearing designer clothes that I wont buy for her!!!

Gronk17 Gronk17

Phil, You sound like you are more sensible than a lot of people I hear complaining about life in this great country today. You are correct about economics is not a zero sum game. The people who are more successful at making money are not taking it away from those who are making less money. When the economy expands, the opportunity improves for everybody to make more money. But the kicker is that taking advantage of those increased opportunities requires ambition and willingness to work harder to take advantage of those new opportunities. Therefore, you are also correct when you state that "we all have the right to become as wealthy as possible". And the beauty of living in this great country is that because of our constitutionally guaranteed individual liberty and freedom, each person can pursue whatever he wants to take advantage of the unlimited opportunities available to him to improve his financial situation.

goblue1968 goblue1968

In response to “Phil, You sound like you are more sensible...

Thanks GoBlue. Let's see how reasonable you think I am after this reply. (smile)

The problem though as I see it..

To get elected to Congress, (which takes millions of dollars) you need to either a) be independently wealthy, or b) rely on campaign contributions from wealthy individuals and special interest groups. Naturally the concerns of these two groups are given weight over the interests of others.

I see a similar issue when it comes to policy setting. Public opinion is influenced and manipulated by large media corporations. I believe this is why there is strong support for policies that are not, in my estimation, in their best interests.

This affects the people of every political leaning. Conservatives are more likely to believe liberal universities have undo influence, whereas liberals are more likely to believe groups like the NRA have it. I question whether my own viewpoints and biases are the result of such manipulation.

So like I often say, I don't have any answers other vagues ideas like campaign finance reform and ending gerrymandering.

I just throw this stuff out here.. I guess with the hope that I'll maybe learn something.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “Thanks GoBlue. Let's see how reasonable you...

Phil, You still sound reasonable even after reading your reply to me because I agree with everything you said.

The campaign financing system will never be reformed because the people who benefit from the current system are the ones who make the laws that would be needed to change it.

Policy setting, on the other hand, have a better chance of shifting because most politicians are super-focused on public opinion polls, especially during election years. Those who are going to be on the ballot concentrate more on being on the correct side of controversial issues so they watch the polls to make sure that they please the majority of voters with their speeches and voting on legislation.

goblue1968 goblue1968

In response to “Phil, You still sound reasonable even after...

My brother from another mother.. (y)

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

Jim, notice how it's ALWAYS the 1% uber wealthy liberal/democrat celebrities and our liberal wealthy politicians who are against President Trump's tax cuts that benefit the working middle class...CLAIMING that they would be willing to be pay even more in taxes themselves.. YET they as "compassionate liberals" worth billions of dollars never ever VOLUNTARILY pay even more in taxes when filing their own tax returns!!

Man, if all of our wealthy liberal celebrities, liberal politicians and liberal CEO's in Silicon Valley combined their BILLIONS of wealth to donated just even 10% of their BILLIONS to the Government when filing their taxes, just their combined 10% of their BILLIONS of dollars alone would do more to help the causes they supposedly believe in, than them bitching about the extra $50 dollars a week my husband gets to KEEP in his paycheck under a Trump Administration for busting his **** as a blue collar worker.

Gronk17 Gronk17

My attitude is that, if you're the the one who will ultimately suffer because of something, then it's your responsibility to change it. Obviously there are many things we cannot change, but it's better fight than to accept the role of the victim.

Having said that though, there have been times in my life where I was accepting the role of the victim and didn't even know it.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

ah.....actually, the word is "malaise."

Freeranger Freeranger

It's the medication I'm on....ill shoot my doctor..

JD JD

I couldn't say, for sure. I've wondered what it would be like, though, to be able to blame anyone else but me, for how I feel.

As far as excuses to myself to not get a chore done today, or something...I'm not even very good at that. I just admit that I failed, and try and forgive myself...

Piper2 Piper2

Apart from being bullied at school, I can't really think of any time when I've blamed anyone or even anything for the way I've felt. Probably blaming a physical health issue would be the closest.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

Being honest, able to admit when one is wrong, to be accountable for ones own actions and to say 'I'm sorry', are all signs of STRENGTH, not a weakness.

My dad would say to my siblings and I when we were growing up (trying to blame each other for something/anything), he would say ... "There's always going to be 3 sides to this story... yours, theirs and then the truth, that only God knows since I wasn't there, so it's always best to just tell me the truth and deal with the consequences instead of being known as a liar."
Even though my siblings and I since we were little girls KNEW our dads thoughts about LYING, we as TEENAGERS would still try to blame each other for stuff we did, even KNOWING our dads thoughts and wisdom about lying because we were TEENAGERS.
Our dad's wisdom/advice did eventually kick in and resonate with all my siblings and I, as we got older and wiser.

Gronk17 Gronk17

Beter to just take responsbilities for your own actions

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

We have an in-law drama queen who thrives on blaming everything on everyone else. According to her, she is always right and has never, ever done anything wrong. It is ALWAYS someone else, and even on those rare times when she knows she's at fault, she will justify her actions/behavior until the moon turns blue listening to her.

beachbum beachbum