Yes

astral_queenTrishDWFgoblue1968LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundredWill_JanitorparentaldiscretionRoosterSynysterGates

No

VicZincBudwickBozetteThibaultJerryHendricksonProdigalSonFlrdsgns

Other

ZonkeyBallsWalt_OReagun

BozetteAdaWill_JanitorSukiesnowazlottoZonkeyBallsProdigalSonRoosterSynysterGates
Should the legal age to buy a gun be raised to 21?

Explained by JustJimColo...

I've been watching as some people are now arguing that the age to purchase a gun should be 21 because they feel people under 21 are not mature enough to own or handle a gun. If we do that, shouldn't we also raise the voting age back up to 21 since those under 21 have been deemed to be too immature? Should we also change the law prohibiting those under 21 from entering the military or hold public office due to maturity issues? I notice that nobody comes out and claims that the thousands of young men and women who were drafted or enlisted, and were killed in Viet Nam, and other wars, including the one we are in today, are too immature to be in the military.

Either one is deemed an adult, with all of the rights and responsibilities, or one is not.

Bozette Bozette

I agree with all you said there as I went to Nam when I was 18 but I do believe that the age to buy a gun should be 21. Hopefully if teens can't buy guns? It will help to stop this senseless killing in schools.
I don't think maturity really comes in with this. It's just something that should be done to hopefully help. I hope it does.
The rest on your list should remain as it is. JMHO.

Rooster Rooster

In response to “I agree with all you said there as I went to...

I did the Army thing at 17 way back when as well. This whole age/maturity debate is a bit crazy to me. I don't have a problem with changing the law to 21 to purchase a gun (With an exception for active duty military). If you change a law, at least be honest why you are changing it. Public or school safety in this case. Claiming it is a maturity issue to me though, just doesn't hold water.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “I did the Army thing at 17 way back when as...

No it isn't. It isn't about maturity.

Rooster Rooster

In agreement Rooster. I think raising the bar to 21 is not a bad idea, even as a fervent supporter of the 2nd Amendment.

Freeranger Freeranger

In response to “In agreement Rooster. I think raising the...

I initially thought the same thing being an ardent supporter of our 2A, to up the age to 21, only because of how freakin' immature most 18 year olds are today compared to when my generation turned 18..but the more I thought about it I changed my mind thinking back of when our GOVERNMENT back in the 80's upped the drinking age from 18 to 21, with the braniacs in our government THINKING doing so would somehow deter teenagers from obtaining alcohol, which it DID NOT at all...if anything since then our teenagers became binge drinkers and/or found a cheaper way to get themselves high...thus the deadly heroine becoming an easily accessible/cheap ILLEGAL drug for our youth to purchase on the streets to get high.
IN MY OPINION, had the legal drinking age remained at 18 as it was when my parents were teens as well as during my generation...teenagers for the past 30 years (being typical teenagers) would not be looking for an alternative DANGEROUS/DEADLY method to get their buzz on as teenagers?????...Back in my day as a teenager in the 70's, splitting a 6 pack of Budweiser with friends was enough to get us all feeling buzzed....eh now teenagers binge drink or do freakin' heroine to get a buzz on. Hmm why is that?????

Gronk17 Gronk17

I'm not sure raising the legal age is the answer, I think banning weapons like the AR-15 would be a better choice.

Flrdsgns Flrdsgns

In response to “I'm not sure raising the legal age is the...

Why? The only difference between the AR-15 (AR stands for ArmaLite, the brand, btw...not "assault rifle", as many believe) and most other rifles is cosmetic. It looks really, really scary, but is actually less lethal than many others. Nor is it "the weapon of choice" for most mass shooters. Only ~ 3% of homicides overall, and ~ 39% of mass shootings are committed using rifles of any brand or style.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Why? The only difference between the AR-15...

Actually.....we know the answer, "Assault rifle" sells MUCH better for the MSM. For those of us who know the difference, a Remington Woodmaster, is ALSO a semi-auto....in a larger caliber.
http://media.liveauctiongroup.n...CEEB2BD1111F60

Train and arm staff volunteers. The perps choose soft targets. Change the opportunity.

Freeranger Freeranger

Bozette Bozette

Nope.

The government should issue each newborn a gun at birth, like a social security number. Then only citizen would have guns. and everyone with a gun is a citizen.

VicZinc VicZinc

You've got some very interesting arguments there Jim.

Of course there are a zillion teenagers that don't own the gun they go out hunting with. Maybe it belongs to Dad or Grandpa - but Skippy doesn't have $400 or more to spend on a rifle anyway.

Sounds like another proposed do nothing legislation that will leave schools just as vulnerable as they are now.

Budwick Budwick

Not unless they just go ahead and deem the age of 21 to be what is considered legal age. I'm not a big fan of the picking and choosing between what an 18 year old is mature enough to handle and what they're not. You can feed your lungs cancer, but you can't drink. You can vote for candidates that propose gun laws but you're not allowed to have a gun. If an eighteen year old is still deemed irresponsible than just make legal age 21.

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon

If you can join the armed forces at 18 (and be compelled to register for selective services), it makes no sense to be barred from buying a firearm until you're 21. Some of these age restrictions are necessarily connected. I'm also not convinced that this would have much effect on mass shootings; many shooters have been older than 21. It's the connection between firearms and mental heatlh that needs to be addressed, not that between firearms and age.

Thibault Thibault

In response to “If you can join the armed forces at 18 (and...

I agree; however we live in a time when people shy away from anyone with mental health issues; they are treated as freaks in the real world. And That will not change anytime soon...

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

It won't make a damn bit of difference. Their parents have guns or they can get them illegally.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “It won't make a damn bit of difference...

Jerry, when I was a little girl growing up, my siblings and I all knew that our Marine dad had many hunting rifles in our home, as well as having a handgun in our parents bedroom under their bed, a hand gun under the seat of his work truck and a handgun under the seat of our family car ALL for protection... and we knew that our dad had some kind of rifle bullet making mechanism that was next to our downstairs playroom, where he would use to make his own bullets for his rifle when he went hunting on the weekends during deer hunting season. EVEN when our dad was away on those weekends during hunting season, my siblings and I KNEW to never ever go near our dad's other hunting rifles or to go near the handgun in our home that we knew was under our parents bed or the one in our family vehicle.

Gronk17 Gronk17

Raising the age to 21 will not do a damn thing to deter those under the age of 21 from obtaining a gun....just as our government raising the drinking age to 21 back in the 80's hasn't done a damn thing to deter teenagers from obtaining alcohol.
For right now UNTIL we as a UNITED country can come together to figure out WHY so many young teenage boys for the past 20 years are shooting up their schools, we first need to take immediate action to protect our children via putting armed guards in all our public schools ASAP, as we did in our airports and on planes after 9/11 and as we do for big events in our country.

Here's a thought as to how our government(our tax dollars) can fund our military veterans to be in our public schools to protect/defend our children.... how about defunding Planned Parenthood and instead use that 500 BILLION to pay for our veterans to protect our children while at school, instead of going towards killing children while in their mother's womb.

Those on the left are calling for President Trump TO DO SOMETHING(ban all guns) to stop our children from being murdered in our schools by these GUNS...yet if he proposed defunding PP to instead use that money to pay for our veterans to be armed to protect/save our children during a mass shooting while attending school, they'd be protesting in the streets that Trump defunded PP, thus supposedly their "right to choose" because they'll have to actually PAY out of their own pocket to abort their child who was conceived at an inconvenient time in THEIR LIFE.

Gronk17 Gronk17

How about a system, where the general accuracy and effectiveness of the firearm correlates with the age of the buyer? At eighteen, you could have a .22 or .223. At twenty-one, this would be upped to .44 or 5.56. At twenty-four, assuming you haven't strangled more than ten parrots or done something similarly deranged, you could have a free .50 with a coupon provided by the Federal Government or a minigun for a half of the original price.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “How about a system, where the general...

Are you saying .22 isn't as effective or accurate as larger calibers?
The IRA and mafia have used .22 and .25 for decades, for assassinations.

And since .22 ammo is cheap, people using those are usually more accurate than people who use larger caliber firearms.

So maybe reverse it.
Since .50 caliber is so expensive and they can't afford to practice a lot with it ... that would be allowed first.

LOL

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “Are you saying .22 isn't as effective or...

Well, I wouldn't waste a perfectly good .22 on a parachuter, when there's me elder bro with a fifty cal around, ye. I knew this was going to bite me in da **, but .22 is still a sharp shooting tool, whereas having a minigun is just pretty much more ** fun, as a Crocodile Dundee surgeon tool, eh...

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “Well, I wouldn't waste a perfectly good .22...

There's a couple guys at the local shooting range, who build "gatling guns" with .22 barrels. Fun to shoot.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “There's a couple guys at the local shooting...

The basic design works great with the potato guns as well. We have a lot of potatos over here. And it really is nasty as Hell, for the laughs.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

ZonkeyBalls, there are no amount of even more new gun laws or restrictions on guns that will deter a freakin' lunatic from wanting to commit mass murders....they'll just find another method manner to do so to commit their mass murders, as Timothy McVey did, as the 9/11 terrorists did etc. etc..
I find it absolutely MIND BLOWING that any sane person would think the answer to stopping these mass murders from happening again is to DISARM or make it even harder for the LAW ABIDING citizens to obtain a gun as a means to defend/protect themselves, especially during these times.
Heck, even if the Progressives had their way of eventually banning all guns in the USA supposedly "for the children"(give me a break)...that would only result in the LAW ABIDING citizens in the USA being disarmed and unable to defend themselves, where only the scum bag criminals and our government would have guns!....Because no criminal is ever going to volunteer to give up their ILLEGAL guns NOR will a politician give up their tax payer funded bodyguards who have GUNS to protect THEM...yet according to the rhetoric spewed by the supposed intelligent far left in my country, making it even MORE difficult for LAW ABIDING citizens to obtain a gun and/or out right banning guns in my county...doing so will somehow stop lunatics from wanting to commit mass murders??
Eh if anything after this latest school shooting, even my liberal friends want to get a gun to protect themselves and their family/children..... but my country's MSM will NEVER interview those people who have changed their minds about now wanting a gun in their home, because my country's MSM only interviewS the people who agree with their liberal narrative.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “ZonkeyBalls, there are no amount of even more...

Oye.

Take it easy.

I didn't know you really want to have a gun that bad... I'm more into swords, these days.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

Politicians are so anxious to do something they don't much care what it is. I don't have much faith in this as any kind of a deterent for future school shootings. Either armed guards, or armed and trained teachers has a much better chance of positively affecting the issue in my humble opinion. Both would be better.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “Politicians are so anxious to do something...

I just heard that there was at least 1 (armed?) police officer at the Florida school ... who didn't even attempt to confront the shooter.

Reminds me of that commercial where the robbers enter the bank, and the guy says "I'm not a security guard, I'm a security alert. You're being robbed."

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “I just heard that there was at least 1...

Yep. That story is pretty hot right now.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Sure.
And raise the age for military enlistment (and draft) or membership in a religious organization to 21, as well.

I mean, if you aren't legally responsible enough to drink, smoke, or own a firearm ... then you probably aren't responsible enough to make those decisions, either.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

Raising the age to 21 will do nothing, in fact, all of the things Trump has proposed are pointless. They'll talk about it for a while and then do nothing.
Largely because there are only 2 choices. Either ban guns or learn to live with mass shootings.
Maybe if they didn't have kids on psychotropic drugs from age 6 it would help./

urwutuis urwutuis

Sure at 18 kids now are still brainless.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

Yes, and also the legal age to vote should be raised to 21!

goblue1968 goblue1968

The age of being able to purchase a gun should be 30. Most people are less stupid after then, and a bit more self-aware.

War? There was a time when you couldn't stop men from going to fight...women would cry and want to keep the boys at home; yet they insisted on going... What happened?

I'd also like to stop or make it difficult for people to get married at a young age. There are way too many single mothers in Hamilton; and men with more than one family to support.

It's bad news for us when bad things happen in the States; eventually copycat psychos drift up here or perhaps become alert long enough in order to hear the details of what happened.

If men are so interested in self-protection...they should take up Taekwondo or similar.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow