For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. -Galatians 5:1

MazeBozetteJerryHendricksonVicZincBudwickPhilboydStudgelukpataTrishbeachbum

astral_queen

VicZincBozetteAda

Explained by Maze...

You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh ; rather, serve one another humbly in love. For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” -Galatians 5:13

“Love your neighbor as yourself.”

All of your neighbors, including the 'illegal' ones and the ones who seem to march to a different drummer.

VicZinc VicZinc

40% disagree while showing that nobody disagrees. That makes no sense. Cowardly anon socks... You disagree with love one another?

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “40% disagree while showing that nobody...

There are two different thoughts here. The first is that Christ died to give us freedom (with which I don't agree) and the second refers to being good to one another (with which I do agree).

Linnster Linnster

In response to “There are two different thoughts here. The...

Freedom and Salvation are two different words.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “Freedom and Salvation are two different words.

The Christian teachings are that Christ died for their salvation. As a non-Christian, I don't follow that teaching. Moses set the Jews free from the yoke of slavery in Egypt, but others have tried, and some have succeeded, in enslaving us throughout history.

Linnster Linnster

“Love your neighbor as yourself.”

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to ““Love your neighbor as...

Love foreigners who break immigration rules, sure, but enforce the rules.

Maze Maze OP

In response to “Love foreigners who break immigration rules...

I missed that passage. Where did Jesus say that?

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “I missed that passage. Where did Jesus say that?

"Render unto Caesar the things which be Caesar's, and unto God the things which be God's." -Jesus
(Matthew 22:21, Mark 12:17, Luke 20:25)

"Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves." Romans 13:1, 2

"Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor." Romans 13:7

So illegal immigration isn't just a crime, it's a sin.

There's a difference between pursuing freedom and rebelling against authority. Obey the law - strive for freedom.

Maze Maze OP

In response to “"Render unto Caesar the things which be...

Well done. However I suggest that Jesus did not write a letter to the Romans.

Either way I agree that complaining about taxes is a sin.

Also never said that you or I should enforce the laws. Only that criminals will be judged, presumably by god.

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Well done. However I suggest that Jesus did...

Actually, in that letter, Paul expanded somewhat on what judgement entails:

"For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience." Romans 13:3-5

As for taxes, complain all you like, call or write to your representatives in government, lawfully protest - that's all fine - just make sure to pay what you owe.

Maze Maze OP

Love your neighbor as yourself.
Not an easy goal, but certainly a worthwhile one.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

"I've come to set you free. Now do everything I tell you." - God

JimiHendrix JimiHendrix

In response to “"I've come to set you free. Now do...

What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means! Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?

When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness. What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.
Romans 6:15-22

The law of the wise is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.
Proverbs 13:14

Maze Maze OP