VicZincAdaZonkeyBallsSynysterGates
I'm worried that I let music affect me more than it should. It alters my mood and enforces opinions. Should i be careful what kind of music I listen to or should I focus on not letting it alter me or just let music change me?

I agree about moods, I tend to listen to certain music depending on my mood but opinions... I don't think so.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Let it change you, that is what art is all about.

VicZinc VicZinc

Nah, whatever happens, happens.

It's not the music altering you. Why do you think we have so many silly metal bands in Finland? Everything happens for a reason and although I usually prefer the covers made by Eläkeläiset over the original versions, I still find myself pretty much in the same tight spot. Just... Don't think too much about it. Breathe.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

If it alters your mood in a way you don't like, you already know the answer. You just have to decide if you want to act on it.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “If it alters your mood in a way you don't...

Exactly. When I'm feeling down/sad, I choose to listen to AC/DC because their music has always and still always puts me in a good mood...instead of listening to some sad song that my sadness "can relate to" lol. WHAT'S THE POINT of listening to a sad/depressing song while feeling sad/depressed... that will only result in one feeling even more sad and depressed while listening to that freakin' sad song that they can relate to?
Eh I just don't get why one would want to listen to sad/depressing music/lyrics while they're feeling sad and depressed?

Gronk17 Gronk17

I mean, the whole purpose of art is to affect people. As long as it's not making you hurt people or turning you into someone you don't like you shouldn't let it bother you

DWF DWF

Music is good for the soul. It can send a message to someone, or tell a great story. I love music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igeKhTX5R6k

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Music is good for the soul. It can send a...

It's like when you don't like someone you can send them this song. (hehe)(hehe)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b...A?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SynysterGates SynysterGates

I knew from an early age that music and the lyrics to songs had an affect on my emotions...which is why I'm drawn to music with an underlying positive message in the lyrics to songs even if it's a hard rock song.
When my husband and I were first dating, he CRANKED up the volume on the radio when that lame, depressing REM song "Everybody Hurts" came on the radio and I was shocked because he did not 'look' like a guy who would like LAME depressing songs like that....so of course I had to say something like, you can't be serious liking this depressing song? Which he was serious liking that lame song lol!!!
20 something years together and having 3 children, our kids now that they're older, think it's so funny that their crass at times, bearded "biker" dad is a softy who likes to listen to easy listening/soft rock music, and their "normal" looking PTO mom likes to listen to loud heavy metal music lol!!

Eh there's a rider for every seat :)

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “I knew from an early age that music and the...

I mainly listen to relaxed slow phased rap music (Finnish) and really heavy metal music like meshuggah and many more. I'm mainly concerned how much I agree with many of the lyrics of the rap music I listen to. Buuut i'm starting to think I just happen to agree with them.

FinnishHighschoolMan OP

In response to “I mainly listen to relaxed slow phased rap...

I have never even heard of any Finnish rap or rock bands, and one of my closest friends is a loud and proud Fin because both of her boys being great hockey players who are both on their way to going pro playing in the NHL because according to her, it's because of her Finnish genes known to produce great hockey players, lol...but she being into music as a heavy metal fan like myself, has never ever once mentioned the great music of any Finland band :)

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “I have never even heard of any Finnish rap or...

My favorite finnish metal band that sings in english is Ghost Brigade. If your interested.

FinnishHighschoolMan OP

When I was freestyle skiing, I use to listen to Nazareth Razamataz on my walkman strapped to my chest during moguls and Jungle Love for aerials.
Those songs stuck in my head and had personal meanings, Razamataz as fast and hype song, great for moguls.

Today, I choose a lot of Metal music as my playlist when I workout, most of those songs have long guitar solos.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

Music is an art form, and like any art, is subjective. You like what you like, don’t ever let anyone make you feel guilty about it.

trooper trooper