What would happen if there were no cars, buses, trains, boats, or planes? How would this change your life?
  • Topics:A better world
  • Featured on the home page on Mar 10th 2018
  • Post Of The Day on Mar 13th 2018

DandyDonOzSurferAdaPartyOfOneazlottoCarlaRoosterSynysterGates

It would take a bit longer to get from point A to point B on a horse. And i dont reckon id be eating godiva chocolate anymore.

Carla Carla

I'd just have to get me a mule!

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “bicycle is less work.

Mules can carry supplies.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “Mules can carry supplies.

Yes they can but they also need food and shoveling out after they eat. All the homeless guys round here have bikes and a cart to carry things, they make it with a thrown away bike and a wood box. I want to buy one from one of the guys so I can hook the little cart onto my little prius car.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

In response to “Yes they can but they also need food and...

That's alright. I can shovel shit.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

Carla Carla

In response to “It would take a bit longer to get from point...

Aw, shucks, ma'am - I'd cripple a mule for all the miles I'd put on it to ensure you'd have your chocolate and, damn it, it'd be Godiva or my name ain't poo (wink)

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

In response to “Aw, shucks, ma'am - I'd cripple a mule for...

What a gentleman.
Hope that mule can swim;)

Carla Carla

In response to “What a gentleman. Hope that mule can swim;)

Lol... I was thinking the same :P

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

horses and mules are good swimmers we never used saddles took ours to the lake several times a week in summer. fun if you can hold on. (biggrin)

Carla, yes a horse can work it you have room for it. We had 3 horses when I was a teen and that is how we all got where we wanted to go, shopping was a pain if you didn't take someone to tend the horse while in grocery. People are thinking they can just go pat a horse like a dog - not cool sometimes.

In response to “Carla, yes a horse can work it you have room...

I grew up with tennessee walkers. My sister still raises and trains them. We too, went everywhere on them:)

Carla Carla

I'd love no cars, but I'd struggle a lot without planes so I would have to move to a good surf beach as I wouldn't be able to travel. Also without cars, the obesity epidemic would come to an end very quickly so that'd be a positive, but the downside with no trucks would be no deliveries of supermarket goods in the quantities we are used to.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “I'd love no cars, but I'd struggle a lot...

So true the fatties would need to do more than sit on butt all day, especially kids because I am sure those kids would be sent on lots of errands. (scn)

In response to “So true the fatties would need to do more...

Yes, and newspapers would probably be delivered by kids on bikes again rather than people in cars that just throw them out the window and you have to go on a paper hunt to find it.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

My life? This would change the world! Basically set us hundreds of years back! You know those avocados bananas and all kinds of exotic foods and merchandise you absolutely love? You would only dream about those, The world is advanced as it is by a large part due to fast transport.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “My life? This would change the world!...

Some could get to us by raft floatation things that are not boats, whatever hat could be. . After arriving in usa I think someone would figure a way to bring it into towns and stores, probably we would grow more in local communities when possible,

In response to “Some could get to us by raft floatation...

I'm not saying it would not be possible, I'm saying that you'd have to wait VERY long, aside from the stuff will be super overpriced due to the effort needed to bring them to you. If you want a mango I will overcharge the living hell out of you because I'm not gonna make that road for a few pennies. Imagine waiting for your delivery for 4 months and it's some mundane thing you now could get from your local store

Aside from the fact that a lot of things you can not locally grow in the US, not to mention that without modern technology a lot of perishables wont make it in time to be ripe and consumable.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

I agree, and I was just thinking of the stock market where most of our retirement funds sit, that'd take a huge dive just at the hint of no more cars/trucks etc.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

Reckon it would just put me back on a horse again, which I really don't mind.
Wouldn't be so good for food and resources but I think we could manage. We have before. I just would feel sorry for people who don't know how to ride a horse but I suppose a buggy would work.

Rooster Rooster

I guess I would use my bike. I bike a lot in the summer, in fact many times I bike to the grocery store and pick up a few things to put it in my back pack.
Not sure I would bike 30 miles or something, but I can manage if need be.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

I wouldn't travel unless necessary..

There's a slight bit more people now than the good ole western days..

There would be so much horse crap on the roads...you'd need a gas mask when riding..

That'll be one of many things, that drives up your insurance rates.

Yea...don't think that insurance will magically disappear.

DandyDon DandyDon

In response to “I wouldn't travel unless necessary.. There's...

They used to have the jailbirds go out and pick up all the crap! (hehe)

Rooster Rooster

In response to “They used to have the jailbirds go out and...

That's another thing.

You just thought police in cars, took a long time to get to a call..

If you call the police, you can sit down and have lunch while waiting....
Maybe not, if it's a well traveled road (hehe)

DandyDon DandyDon

In response to “That's another thing. You just thought...

I'm imaging police chases on bicycles and they'd have to hire olympic cyclists for the police force. Their motto would be..."no more donuts for you" (hehe)

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “I'm imaging police chases on bicycles and...

Yea, I think donut sells would drop (hehe)

DandyDon DandyDon

Get out my hoop or for long journeys my roller skates and a bike...

JD JD

In response to “Get out my hoop or for long journeys my...

What a way to travel, hope you have your kneepads ready lol

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud

People survived somehow before all of those forms of transportation were invented. It would make life very miserable, however.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “People survived somehow before all of those...

People weren’t miserable back in the day before all that the only thing is nowadays society is too busy nowadays everything is Rush rush rush

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud

I guess I'd get a horse and carriage to go to the grocery store. Perhaps my doctor would go back to making house calls by the same method.

JanHaskell JanHaskell

In response to “I guess I'd get a horse and carriage to go to...

How nice would that be if drs did that

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud

In response to “How nice would that be if drs did that

Our city has had a doctor who did home visits up until his death, 20+ years ago - had been doing them for ages, just as was common back in the horse and buggy era.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

In response to “Our city has had a doctor who did home visits...

It’s a shame those days are long gone

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud

I guess I'd add some modifications to my lawn mower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBpddpK2k

azlotto azlotto

In response to “I guess I'd add some modifications to my lawn...

That would certainly work, lol

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud

Riding a bike is good exercise, might take awhile and that’s ok. It would definitely be a lot quieter

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud

Communication may take a dip......

Freeranger Freeranger

I just thought, about food shortages as farming and producing food might become a bit of an issue if we went back to non-motorised farming methods.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “I just thought, about food shortages as...

We would be farming like the Amish, by horse. They have no electricity, indoor plumbing, it's a hard life. No phones in their homes, but when they need to make a call, they use a neighbor's phone. lol They don't own or drive cars, but when they need to go a far distance, they hire a driver. lol

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “We would be farming like the Amish, by...

Yes I think it would definitely return to that type of existence, and I also think the stockmarket would take a huge dive and many businesses would go bankrupt due to the lack of customer turn-over, but blacksmiths would make a come-back lol.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

Our economy would crumble, the ramifications of which would have us picking plants and killing animals to subsist on... purified water for many would be out of reach, both for the much higher cost and the logistics of getting it out to remote areas. Medical necessities wouldn't be available (fresh organ transplants, for instance). I could sit here and tick-off tens of thousands of specific devastation and still not hit upon all the Hell on Earth it would cause, much of it immediate.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

isolation and non development would have been there.

sudhakarlistens

I’d die

TheTorrent

Well I would need to move into town so I could walk to the store - well if there was anything in the stores because it would be hard to walk all the items in a store from distributor to shelves.

We would use horse and buggies.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun