Anonymity

AdaRoosterSynysterGates
Anonymity

Explained by Freeranger...

Recently, a judge here in New England ruled that the local winner on a $560 million dollar Power Ball ticket would be allowed to protect their anonmyity. In many states, you must submit to publically picking up your winning. So whadda ya think? Should you be allowed to remain private or not?

I think you should be able to remain private. I see it as when someone wins that kind of money and it's advertised? The vultures will come out in droves to see if they can scam the person out of some of it. Hometown is good enough. JMHO.

Rooster Rooster

As a postscript, the judge did rule that her home town may be revealed.

Freeranger Freeranger OP

Rooster Rooster

In response to “I think you should be able to remain private...

You'll never be able to stop the biggest vulture of all. The IRS.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “You'll never be able to stop the biggest...

Ha.......to the grave Jim, to the grave...

Freeranger Freeranger OP

In response to “Ha.......to the grave Jim, to the grave...

And beyond, the way it works these days. <s> Who would have thought 100 years ago that the government would find a way to tax you even after you were gone.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

I think they should remain private, especially with that size of lottery.
Here in Canada they reveal the winners name, don't need to be photograph but the names, city and province are revealed. I hope they change that rule someone day. If I won 50 million, I don't want anyone knowing, take my cash and run to the islands. (hehe)

Oh and to Jim's point, Revenue Canada gets one shot at income tax deduction, them I'm out of here.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

It should be up to the winners to decide. In my mind only leeches would be interested in finding out who won.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “It should be up to the winners to decide. In...

I sure as hell want to know if my wife wins. I sure as hell wouldn't tell her if I won though. (smile)

JustJimColo JustJimColo

The lottery in the uk lets the winners decide if they want the win to stay private or not....all winnings are free of tax....

JD JD

In response to “The lottery in the uk lets the winners decide...

wow! no tax! After taxes, this winner lost around half of it in taxes.

Freeranger Freeranger OP

In response to “wow! no tax! After taxes, this winner lost...

The tax is paid for by the lottery company who offset most of it by giving to charities...

JD JD