JustJimColoSukiesnowSynysterGatesCarlaThinkerbellPiper2Neanderthal_MomdoerAdaastral_queen

Walt_OReagun

Piper2AdaSukiesnowThinkerbellCarlaSynysterGates
I just read about a Jr High Science teacher in Idaho, who fed a live puppy to his snapping turtle in front of his students. That's pretty sick and disturbing to me.

Explained by JustJimColo...

It's tough to even express how much acts of sadism like this outrages me. PRESTON, ID (RNN) – A junior high school science teacher is under investigation after he allegedly fed a puppy to a snapping turtle in front of students. A local animal activist filed an animal cruelty complaint, KSTU reports, triggering an investigation into the incident by the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office. Deputies said Preston Junior High science teacher Robert Crosland fed a live puppy to a reptile last week. The puppy was reportedly sick, according to KSTU. In a news release, Preston School District 201 Superintendent Marc Gee said the district was made aware of the “regrettable circumstance” on March 7. Gee said the event occurred after school and was not part of a school-directed program. Crosland has not been cited or charged in the matter, nor has he been placed on leave, according to KSTU. “While the district certainly does not condone individual actions that may violate district policy or reasonable expectations of behavior, we hope that any errors in judgement made by a teacher in this instance will not cause us to forget the years of care, effort, and passion the teacher has given to students in Preston School District,” Gee wrote. Here is the email link to the school. I sent them my "thoughts". curtis.jenson@psd201.org

What is almost as sick and disturbing to me, is that some of the students and parents think it is somehow better or okay, if the puppy was sick or "deformed".

Nor do I think that feeding live captive animals to another one in captivity, has much to do with teaching students about the "circle of life".

Piper2 Piper2

I can't even think while reading this...:(

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

That's just sick, can't even imagine students watching this.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

Outrageous.

Carla Carla

I would feed the teacher to the crocodiles....he's not human..

JD JD

Behavior like that is a red flag. He needs to be seriously analyzed before returning to society, let alone the class room.

Budwick Budwick

What?!

I'm glad he was reported.

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

I'm surprised anything surprises me.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “What is //almost// as sick and disturbing...

Wow! Total, 110% agreement on this one Piper. Well said!

Budwick Budwick

that so-called teacher needs a mental evaluation

there was no lesson taught in that classroom
unless one views Cruelty as a skillset

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

"Three former students told reporters that Crosland had conducted in-class feedings in the past, using guinea pigs as offerings for both snakes and snapping turtles."

The only reason people are complaining, is because it was a dog. Nobody complained when it was guinea pigs. And I'm guessing he also used live mice/rats ... commonly sold by pet stores, just to be fed to snakes.

Sure, I love dogs. But they are no more or less intelligent than many of the other animals we eat. Hell, octopi are among the most intelligent animals - yet we think nothing of eating them.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “"Three former students told reporters...

There are also strict laws about how we kill the animals we eat. Torturing an animal is just wrong. Also turtles don't eat dogs in their natural environment. Granted, some people own snakes and feed them live mice. I don't think a Jr High school setting was appropriate to demonstrate the sadism of watching a dog be tortured to death for the teachers enjoyment. Kids emulate what they see. Who's to say pouring gasoline on a cat and setting it on fire shouldn't be acceptable behavior, if this is considered acceptable?

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “There are also strict laws about how we kill...

I'm just saying if you pause to think of some of the ways we kill animals we eat ... even though it is legal, it is still torture. EG: non "free range" livestock. Or legal hunting, if the animal is not killed immediately.

(I'm not about to give up meat anytime soon, but I can see where vegans/vegetarians come from.)

When I was in freshman year of high school, the biology teacher was raising an orphaned 'possum. Kids would come in on their lunch breaks to help take care of it ... feeding, cleaning the cage, etc. At the end of the year, one of her classes had to watch the 'possum killed with a blow to the head and dissected. >> Science teachers can be a weird bunch.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “I'm just saying if you pause to think of some...

I'm a hunter and I've never met anyone who hunts who doesn't try to get a clean kill. I've never mat a hunter who intentionally just wounds an animal over and over, prolonging the misery.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “I'm a hunter and I've never met anyone who...

I have a PM waiting for you. (angry)

dru18 dru18

You're right Walt!

Let's plan a field trip for the kids next week. We'll take 'em to the slaughter house!

Budwick Budwick

In response to “You're right Walt! Let's plan a field trip...

Nothing wrong with that.
In fact, it would be a good education for most students.
Maybe people should be more aware of where their food comes from. That it's not just nicely-packaged at the store.

Not much different from how the 4H / FFA kids learn from raising then slaughtering livestock.

Or what I learned growing up, from watching my neighbor slaughter their pigs.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “Nothing wrong with that. In fact, it would be...

I get it Walt.
But do you actually think taking the kids to a place like that is good education? Or, more shocking trauma to ensure less meat consumption?

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I get it Walt. But do you actually think...

By high school, they should be mentally mature enough. After all, they have to dissect animals in biology class.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “By high school, they should be mentally...

Either you've never been yourself or you've lost your soul. There are worlds of difference between biology class and wholesale slaughter.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Either you've never been yourself or you've...

When I attended elementary school ... we were taken on field trips to dairy farms, once a year.

In middle school ... we were taken on field trips to local farms/ranches. Part of the tour included the slaughter house, for those who wanted to see.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “When I attended elementary school ... we were...

So what? That doesn't mean it's healthy.

Budwick Budwick

Who the hell equates the slaughtering of farm animals for food, to the torturing of a baby companion animal?!

You're as nutty as that teacher.

dru18 dru18

In response to “Who the hell equates the slaughtering of farm...

You never heard of veal?
Nor heard of the "torture" that is modern ranching?

I also guess you never participated in 4H or FFA, or raised chickens. Those animals are as much "companions" as a dog.

BTW - the indigenous tribes kept dogs as "companions", but had no compunction about eating them.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “You never heard of veal? Nor heard of the...

You are falling on your **** and only embarrassing yourself.

But that's okay,somebody who's okay with this story, (as you obviously are) didn't have far to go to reach the bottom. You were pretty much already there.

dru18 dru18

In response to “You are falling on your **** and only...

Yet you are the one who has to resort to weak personal attacks when you can't have a rational discussion.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “Yet you are the one who has to resort to weak...

There is absolutely nothing "rational" in your words.

I have stated that your comparisons are deeply flawed and disturbing, and yet, you have learned nothing.

I doubt you ever will.

dru18 dru18

thing is
humans attaché EMOTIONS to certain animals an not to other animals

there is only animal known as man's Best friend
and it shure as hell ain't a rat

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

True, and birds. Guinea pigs and birds, fed to his captive snake(s) and snapping turtles(s), according to what students said they'd seen or heard. There was never any "outrage" over it, that I know of.

The very selective outrage, or caring about how certain kinds animals are treated, is undeniable.
http://www.amirite.com/788209-y...es-you-like-to

In the meantime...the snapping turtle has been seized by Idaho officials and allegedly "euthanized". :/

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “True, and birds. Guinea pigs and birds, fed...

I didn't hear the euthanizing part, just that he was seized. That's not fair to euthanize that animal. And of course, the "human" who is behind all of this will probably only get a slap on the wrist.

dru18 dru18

You are correct.

Piper, as you know I love all animals. I am the one who runs behind my cat and yells "drop it, drop it!" when she has caught something.

And I have always been against any kind of science lab experiment involving animals.

But the fact that dogs have been domesticated for over 10,000 years to be a companion animal, and this one was such a baby, does seem to fuel the fire more.

dru18 dru18

In response to “You are correct. Piper, as you know I love...

Idaho Law: 5. The possession, importation, shipping or transportation of live red-eared slider turtles and snapping turtles is prohibited without a permit.
http://www.nauti-lasscritters.com/state-idaho.html

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

Well yeah, I know I am. So is the individual getting blasted in the comments above.

Really Dru, I only know for sure how I feel about all animals, since my first memories.

I'm glad to say, that I never had a science teacher who thought feeding live animals to another captive creature, was necessary for students to learn about "the circle of life". I skipped class in high school, when frogs were going to be killed and dissected...

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “Well yeah, I know I am. So is the...

The person above is being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.

Yes, I am pretty sure we ALL know that some societies look at companion animals a little different than we do.

I am also very aware of the 4hclub since I had many friends who participated.

But as I stated; anyone who equates the slaughtering of farm animals to put food on their tables with the tortuous death of a puppy, is somehow missing something.

And yes, Piper, with all of the threads I have posted, not to mention the PM's, I am very much a animal person.

dru18 dru18

In response to “The person above is being argumentative for...

Perhaps, but I happen to think he has a valid point. Not one that had to be brought up on this particular post, but still valid.

I completely understand why people are more "outraged" about a live puppy being fed to a snapping turtle, Dru, than they were about birds and guinea pigs, or the suffering of animals they like to eat. Many people would have been outraged if it had been a kitten, too.

I am very aware of the 4H club sort of things, as well. It's always been weird to me, than someone could raise and become fond of an animal, and then smilingly send it off to slaughter.

Okay, back to the specific subject of this post....
From one of the latest articles I've found about this incident and teacher:

"A mother of two of the three boys in the classroom when the feeding happened told the Preston Citizen that the story has been blown out of proportion.

“'If anyone has a right to be upset, it is me,” Farahlyn Hansen told the paper. “I am not upset. I felt like it was the more humane thing for Robert to do than to just leave it (the puppy) to die…The puppy was dying.'”
She also told the newspaper that the puppy had been rejected by its mother."
(wt)

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “Perhaps, but //**I**// happen to think...

Piper, I grew up on a farm, butchered animals for food etc etc. If you or I had tied a puppy, kitten or any other living domestic animal, sick or healthy, to a tree to watch it get killed and eaten by a predator, for entertainment, we would have been arrested.

I didn't even mind that this teacher had a reptile in his classroom. He could have just as easily went down to the local (small town) grocery store and they would have routinely given him outdated meats like roasts to feed his animals for free. I've had to put down sick animals in the past, farm animals as well as pets, and I've always done it as quickly and humanely as possible.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “Piper, I grew up on a farm, butchered animals...

Okay, Jim. I grew up as a military dependent. Some of my relatives had and have farms, though..

We absolutely agree that purposely subjecting any kind of animal to such suffering, is just ethically wrong, I think.

Piper2 Piper2

I couldn't agree more about the 4H club mentality.

Years ago, my sister and her husband bought a baby heifer with the understanding she would be slaughtered one day.

They named her Tillie and the kids loved her. She could fetch the Frisbee, and would greet them when they got off the bus.

Needless to say, many years later, Tillie is still with them. LOL! She is family.

The mother's an idiot and idiots are a dime a dozen.

If the puppy was sick than the 'humane' thing to do is to take it to a vet for treatment, or have it put to sleep.

Becoming a meal for a snapping turtle is not a fast or easy death.

I think they're all nuts.

dru18 dru18

In response to “I couldn't agree more about the 4H club...

There is a cat I named Elsa, asleep on her favorite perch. I sort of inherited her, 10 years ago. When I first saw her, she had been rejected by her mother when her eyes weren't even open. A woman who was employed by the company I worked for, watched all day to see if the mother would come back, then finally took the tiny kitten home and did everything she could to make sure "Lucky" survived.

Too long...there is NOTHING remotely "humane", of course, about about feeding any live animal to another.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “There is a cat I named Elsa, asleep on her...

Lucky was indeed blessed for having two good people enter her life. I am glad she ended up with you and had a long and happy life.

I agree. Since we interfered I can't even call it 'nature'.

dru18 dru18

I have just learned something that I wished I had stayed ignorant about. Even the smallest and sweetest of animals is not spared from man's cruelty.

My mother, while in college, had two male friends smuggle out a kitten from a science lab where it was to be euthanized and dissected. I can't believe that none of the "kids" made an effort to save this baby canine.

I have nothing further to add except to say that there is a special place in hell for that "science" teacher, and I hope a snapping turtle is waiting.

dru18 dru18

In response to “I have just learned something that I wished I...

A very large, voraciously hungry one.

Carla Carla