Do you often wonder if people really know the difference between telling the truth and knowing what a lie is

I have wondered

PhilboydStudgeLil_PrincessRooster_Howler_

No clue

SkylarPerkins

Rose are you crazy

Nobody :(

Other

VicZincStarzAboveDandyDonBozetteNeanderthal_MomdoerJustJimColoZonkeyBallsSynysterGates

Lil_PrincessPiper2StarzAboveDandyDonBozetteWill_JanitorJustJimColoCarlaZonkeyBallsRoosterRose_Bud_Howler_

Explained by Rose_Bud...

IMHO I don’t think some people can help themselves

I'd say that most people do.

At some point, there are those who convince themselves the lies they tell are true.

And I've know a couple who automatically lied...even when there was no reason to and they could easily be proved wrong, and even when it wasn't in their best interest to do so. I would always ask them why they did so, and never got an honest answer, ha ha ha...I really don't think they could help themselves, though what made them that way is beyond me. Ironically, those were truly some of the best people I've ever known.

Bozette Bozette

I'd say that most people do.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I'd say that most people do. At some...

I would have to agree with you on this, I’ve known a couple of people like this and what’s hard is knowing the truth yet they lie right to you. You said that well Bozette Thank you!

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

In response to “I would have to agree with you on this...

Thank you.

Yes, it can be difficult...I adjusted, though. :)

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Thank you. Yes, it can be difficult...I...

Some things can be overcomed while others no so easily.

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

I've seen people lie for no apparent reason either.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “I've seen people lie for no apparent reason...

Sadly so have I

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

I have known some people like that. I think they were trying to be sarcastic, and they were not good at it.

that_guy that_guy

In response to “I have known some people like that. I think...

These were people I knew very, very well...it was not sarcasm.

Bozette Bozette

Too many people don't care if they tell lies. There isn't any accountability when they do so it has become natural for them to do it.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “Too many people don't care if they tell lies...

And people wonder why there is no trust, kind of goes hand in hand. Thank you Jim!

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

I agree, accountability and credibility is truly important.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

To add to Boz answer. What's disturbing to me is the people that complain about the ones that lie, yet they are okay with friends that have lied consistently over and over and have been shown proof ... in a real life situation that is.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “To add to Boz answer. What's disturbing to me...

That one always baffled me as well, I just don’t get people sometimes, not sure I want to either.

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

In response to “That one always baffled me as well, I just...

I hear ya, I feel the same way.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

The are certain differences between the truth and the truth.

I have to lie every day to some of my dearest in order to contain the truth from them. Then again, that doesn't make the truth itself any less of what is. It's a constant paradox in time, moving both forwards and backwards, from each of the points of view.

The truth is fallible to be altered and people usually buy into the worst ones of their fears. All I can say, it's all a cake game. Game thoery says that most of us would always go for the biggest part of the cake, which is self-explenatory as such. But does that part represent the truth itself or just merely the truth as we others, less-fortunate, want to see the truth to be, so we wouldn't. If the rest of the bunch decided to put the rest of the cake together, wouldn't that make a truth decided by those with the supreme power? Even, if the truth was still hidden in that biggest slice of the cake?

I'm out of the military, I'm out of answers. Who knows? Maybe I'm the biggest liar there has ever been? Even without realizing it.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “The are certain differences between the truth...

We are only human and we all have lied at one point or another, not making excuses and saying it’s right. I have known some that have lied to protect others just not certain what they are protecting them from. The true always comes out in one way shape or form. Thank you Zonkey for that.

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

Damn! It's as if Vic spoofed your account there. (smile)

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “Damn! It's as if Vic spoofed your account...

Perhaps I spoofed his account to spoof mine...

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

Some people lie without even thinking about it, they don't realized the damage they can do..but some just do it to make people like them, .....

JD JD

In response to “Some people lie without even thinking about...

A very poor reason if you ask me but it happens. Thank you JD!

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

Not sure if this is true but I found it interesting..

https://www.psychologytoday.com...hey-don-t-need

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “Not sure if this is true but I found it...

Thanks for sharing that Phil, I'm going to be saving it.

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

I'm laughing at some of these comments, judging others for lying when in fact everyone of us has lied at one time or another, here and in reality, and anyone that says differently, just told a big fat lie. And yet here they are judging others for doing exactly what they have done. Rather hypocritical I would think.

What is more baffling to me is those that condemn liars are OK with the lies that come out of the highest office in our land every day. And they defend those lies....wonder why?

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I'm laughing at some of these comments...

This post WILL NOT be political, we all have different points of views and opinions.. Thank you!

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

In response to “This post WILL NOT be political, we all have...

Oh really, who died and made you boss?

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Oh really, who died and made you boss?

My post so I say so, and if you can't respect it I will say goodbye to you..and you be gone

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

No. I don't wonder. I am convinced that most people believe it is possible to tell the truth. I think it is not possible to even know the truth, that alone tell the truth.

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “No. I don't wonder. I am convinced that most...

What one knows as the true then it shall be spoken, one has to live with themself

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

In response to “What one knows as the true then it shall be...

It is not suggested that one make statement they think are probably not true. However, it is worse to make the mistake of thinking you can make statements that are absolutely true.

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “It is not suggested that one make statement...

You can not speak for all people nor do I, experience has everything to do with it. Good play on words though thanks Vic. Reverse psychology never worked on me. Thank you Vic!

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

I grew up with a pathological liar, in my home. He would lie for the sake of lying. Lie so well that he could convince himself, completely, that his lies were truth. Some have carried, unchanged, for 40+ years. Many were harmful, some just ridiculous. I didnt understand as a child. I grew to understand what a sociopath is.

I try very hard to speak to what i believe to be true. Of course i have told untruths in my life, as a form of avoidance. Not the right thing to do, but we all have done it.

Carla Carla

In response to “I grew up with a pathological liar, in my...

I also know what it is like to know someone such as that. It is hard on a person to deal with. I'm so sorry you had to deal with it, hopefully it made you a stronger person.. To err is human..

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

In response to “I also know what it is like to know someone...

It did.
To err is human. A sociopath pretends to be like other humans. Forgiveness can only be given so much before it turns to folly.

Carla Carla

In response to “It did. To err is human. A sociopath...

I fully understand, one can only forgive so much, I know.

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

A liar knows it's a lie...

They just hope you foolishly believe what they're saying, or that you won't call them on it..

No one can keep enough mental notes and records to get away with being a liar..

DandyDon DandyDon

In response to “A liar knows it's a lie... They just hope...

You have to have a great memory if you're gonna lie. lol

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “You have to have a great memory if you're...

That counts me out.. lol

DandyDon DandyDon

Your first sentence says it all. You have to choose the right words when dealing with someone who lies or the outcome becomes ugly. Thank you Don!

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

I'll let the picture speak for it self

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

In response to “http://data.amirite.net/user_images/5aa9c92be24...

Pictures speak a thousand words and that picture screams. Thank you Neanderthal!

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

It all begins at home.....

Freeranger Freeranger

In response to “It all begins at home.....

Parents can only do so much but when that child becomes an adult when do the parent stop being blamed.The blame game has to end somewhere.

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

In response to “Parents can only do so much but when that...

True. When the child reaches maturity (a definition which varies among "adults" (wary) ) I think most sensible people understand that, that son/daughter are now, considered responsible for their own actions.
I can't underscore the word "sensible" enough. So yah, you can be the most wonderful parents who did everything right and end up with kids who are real asshats. I don't blame rational parenting, I blame a lack of personal responsibility on the part of the perpetrator. It used to be called "character flaw."
As with all opinions and opinion sites, mileages vary

Freeranger Freeranger

In response to “True. When the child reaches maturity (a...

Very true, well stated. Thank you!

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

Truth / honesty are important to me. I value clarity and truthfulness above most everything. I know that most if not all people lie to some degree or another. Anything from the legend of Santa Claus to murder.

Like most others that have commented before me, I too know people that lie for no apparent reason. It's maddening and when it happens I generally will distance myself from them.

People that deny the existence of truth are new to my own experience. I tend to view them carefully, as con men.

I suppose there are some that believe their own lies - but then they must have some kind of mental issue and is it really fair to judge their behavior as compared to normality?

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Truth / honesty are important to me. I value...

I would tend to agree with you Bud, but when it’s a mental disorder do they know the difference? It’s hard to say.. I do honestly think they don’t know what they are doing. I have dealt with people like that and sadly I’ve had to distance myself from them. Right or wrong there is no excuse. Thank you for your input!

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

In response to “I would tend to agree with you Bud, but when...

You bet Rose. I enjoy your comments and posts.
For the most part I think I agree with you - the mentally disturbed don't know the difference. There are some [including some that may post here] that deny the existence truth, are probably not crazy but I feel strongly that they DO know the difference.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “You bet Rose. I enjoy your comments and...

Thank you Budwick, I try to post different issues besides the same ole same ole like politics, that gets old after awhile.
On your reply I would have to agree it seems as those tend to argue and IMHO they enjoy it.

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

Oh I lie...(shh) I ain't really a Princess but don't tell anyone

Sometimes I do lie when people say "Are you okay?" sometimes I don't always tell the truth on that one.

Anything else, I have no reason to lie. I know some do to make friends and that is just stupid (ono). If people don't like me for me that is their problem not mine. I am a mama, a best friend, a sister...sometimes I am quite, sometimes I am loud, sometimes I am kind and polite and other times I am a sassy-**** but at the end of the day I am me.

I hear some do it because of past situations. Well I have walked the road to hell and back, been ashamed of who I was and the things that have happened to me but I have never hidden who I was. Might have hated looking in the mirror but I have always been honest.

If people wanna lie that is their business but never understood the point (crs)

🦋

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

In response to “Oh I lie...(shh) I ain't really a Princess...

Omg 😮 I thought you were a princess! I know when people ask how your doing thier just being polite but unless I’m in a mood I’ll actually tell them how I really feel then I make sure to say “ now aren’t you glad you asked me (hehe), you sound like you have a good heart. I think we all have been through some kind of hell and back but found a way to bounce back. Thank you for you comment I appreciate it.

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

In response to “Omg 😮 I thought you were a princess! I...

(hehe)

Most welcome. Great post btw.

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

In response to “(hehe) Most welcome. Great post btw.

Thank you, I was looking for something I hadn’t seen yet.

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

Not really. With rare exceptions, I figure people know very well that they are telling a deliberate falsehood.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “Not really. With rare exceptions, I figure...

People are only going to tell you one or 2 things...what you want to hear or what they only want to tell you..
Thank you Piper!

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

In response to “People are only going to tell you one or 2...

I don't think people telling you only what they want to tell you is actually "lying" though, do you? Once again, there are exceptions.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “I don't think people telling you only what...

Only when you find out the real truth then yes I do

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

In response to “Only when you find out the real truth then...

Hmm...so every mortal who has lived beyond the age of 3 or 4 is a "liar", then.

Personally, I have an aversion to lying, even small harmless ones. I have a distrust of those who 'speak' intentional falsehoods, and lose respect for them. In the meantime, I say "I'm fine" all the time, when I'm not....

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “Hmm...so every mortal who has lived beyond...

I find it interesting how people assume things.

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

In response to “I find it interesting how people assume things.

I find it quite annoying when people assume things.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “I find it quite annoying when people assume...

Funny so do I
Also people that have chips on their shoulders walk funny

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP

In response to “Funny so do I Also people that have chips on...

Well, alrighty then. People who have a stick up their butt probably would, too. (o_o)

Seems like the subject of the post has gone by the wayside...

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “Well, al//righty// then. People who have a...

Best stay on the subject at hand then Am I rite

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud OP