PhilboydStudgedoctorwho1011Piper2TiffaneeBozetteAdaMazeazlottoRoosterSynysterGates
What's the most historic item that you own? How much do you think it's worth?

I have a lot of family photos that are well over 100 years old. Doubt if they are worth much to anyone but me. Here's my beloved grandmother around 1905.

JanHaskell JanHaskell

Gotta be a tool of some sort, but I couldn't say which one, exactly, or how much it's worth.

Bozette Bozette

JanHaskell JanHaskell

In response to “I have a lot of family photos that are well...

My jewelry was stolen some 20-odd years back. I had some expensive rings, and a lot of gold, because I'm allergic to anything else. But I could have blown all that off. There were two necklaces, though, a pink pearl necklace that belonged to my Dad's mom, and a little locket that belonged to my Mom's mom. Losing both of those hurt, but the locket most of all. It wasn't anything fancy, but it had a picture of my grandma on one side and my grandad on the other...on their wedding day. It had tiny little seed pearls, of which two or three were missing, and the back was dented up pretty seriously...because my Mom had teethed on it as a baby when my gram held her. It broke my heart to lose that. Your picture reminded me of it. I know you must treasure it. :)

Bozette Bozette

In response to “My jewelry was stolen some 20-odd years...

I'm so sorry you lost those precious keepsakes! (cry)

JanHaskell JanHaskell

A dinning room buffet what belonged to my great grandparents from about 1890. No clue what it's worth in dollars but it will never be for sale.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

A brass mortar and pestle set with matching candlesticks that were handed down to my maternal grandmother from her mother, to my mother and to me. Brass has some worth these days, but the family heirloom is priceless to me.

Linnster Linnster

When I was growing up, (graduated in 1992) our town had a video game arcade, and it was kind of a central hangout spot for teenagers. Like everyone of my generation, I have my share of memories attached to the place. Well it closed down a few years ago, and I got the opportunity to get the CD jukebox that was in there from about 1990 until about 2005. It's not a big part of history, but it's part of the local history of my generation.

I remember as a kid I was hanging out in there one day and as I was looking at the jukebox, something told me I'd own it one day. So I was looking at the jukebox, kind of pondering it, and Gus, the owner, decides he doesn't like the way I'm looking at his jukebox and tells me to play a song or take a hike. Still makes me chuckle.

Maze Maze

In response to “When I was growing up, (graduated in 1992)...

Very cool! 😎

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Very cool! 😎

Thanks Boz! (biggrin)

Maze Maze

In response to “Thanks Boz! (biggrin)

Most welcome. Looks like ya got some good tunes in there! (biggrin)

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Most welcome. Looks like ya got some good...

(tongue) Thanks, yeah not bad, the mechanism is a little wonky though, so I have it wired to run off the headphone jack of my computer when I want to crank up some tunes.

It's gotten kind of picky in its old age, it will play a disk for a while, then it will decide it doesn't like it anymore and refuse to play it until it's indexed, a process which requires it to pick up each disk, count the tracks and put it back. There's like 50 disks, so it's kind of a workout for it. It's easier just to plug it into the computer.

Maze Maze

In response to “(tongue) Thanks, yeah not bad, the mechanism...

Maybe one of these days you'll clean up the inner workings, find and fix the problem. Still...very cool! 😎

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Maybe one of these days you'll clean up the...

I've thought about doing that, could be a can of worms though. There's a little kit you can get for old jukeboxes that lets you use an iPod instead of the turntable mechanism. Unfortunately it's not available for my jukebox, or at least it wasn't the last time I looked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9HDouSWSVw

Maze Maze

In response to “I've thought about doing that, could be a can...

Maybe they'll come out with an adapter to work with yours. :)

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Maybe they'll come out with an adapter to...

I'm hoping they do. :)

Maze Maze

My wife has a huge, ornate family bible from the 1870s. Not sure how much it is worth to anyone outside the family.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

A cool picture my Uncle Antone had made in WW1. I still have his helmet from then also.

Rooster Rooster

In response to “A cool picture my Uncle Antone had made in...

Now that's pretty cool.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

My house. Built in 1865 (the year Lincoln was assassinated.) It was the first house on the street which is named after the original owner. French Mansard style. It's worth more than most 4 bed, 2 bath houses in the area because of its style, history, and the fact that we keep it nice. Houses in this town are cheaper than most places.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “My house. Built in 1865 (the year Lincoln...

That is way cool! I love historical homes.

JanHaskell JanHaskell

I dont know about own but the most historical thing I've ever found was an empty rimfire cartridge that had "H" on the primer. I assume it's very old since I found it when digging in the countryside many years ago. I also found an old grenade in the river, it was probably defective, it was hollow on the inside. It looks like an MK II grenade but I doubt it since what the hell would that be doing in a Bulgarian river.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “I dont know about own but the most historical...

That hollow grenade you found is most likely a practice grenade. I got one of those, but mine isn't threaded on the hollow end.

azlotto azlotto

In response to “That hollow grenade you found is most likely...

If a defective grenade that spent decades in water will it have anything inside? As far as I could inspect it there was a cylinder like space in it, that's what I meant. It didnt have space up to the squares.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

I have a photograph of a great, great, great Uncle who fought in the Civil War.

Also I have some antique dishes that my mother-in-law passed down to me, which are very old. Plus, a gold bracelet that was my great grandmother's that she received when she was in the 8th grade..... that one is very old, and I cherish it. They are all priceless.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

A 1912 gold sovereign.Not a lot.

Blewynanifail Blewynanifail

An M1 Garand rifle with matching serial numbers.
What it's worth? I don't know, but I turned down a $1,500 US offer.

Historical item it is:
"In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.” - General George S. Patton.

azlotto azlotto

I have a newspaper dated January 4th 1800 announcing the death of General Washington. It is all bordered in black, and they wrote about his funeral and his legacy. I have no idea what it is worth though.

Flrdsgns Flrdsgns

My other half has an Olympic Torch that she has insured for £20k

TheCensoredBrit TheCensoredBrit

My old house. It was built sometime between 1900 and 1910, they can't decide when. Some of the rooms were repapered in 1918 and we have left a couple of rooms as they were. So, some of the rooms have wallpaper that is around 100 years old.
We are the third owners and the house means more to us than the going rate of real estate.

ozzyboy ozzyboy