Have you ever been called for jury duty?   If so, did you serve, or did you try to get out of it?

PhilboydStudgePiper2TiffaneeOzSurferAdaWill_JanitorazlottoRoosterBubSynysterGatesChuck_Tom
Have you ever been called for jury duty? If so, did you serve, or did you try to get out of it?

Explained by StarzAbove...

I was called one time, but they called and cancelled it the night before I was to appear. Whew.... I wasn't looking forward to doing that. lol

Nope and don't want to either.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

I was called once but was rejected by the defense lawyer! It was a case of two life prisoners stabbing each other. I told them I couldn't make a proper judgement because of the prison problem and they let me go. Waste of time and money if you ask me. But I now have a permanent excuse card because of my Meniere's disease. Breaks my heart. NOT!!!!

Rooster Rooster

In response to “I was called once but was rejected by the...

I've always dreading being called. But my husband has served a couple of times, and he didn't thing it was a big deal.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

Nope and don't want to either.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “Nope and don't want to either.

Don't blame you.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

In response to “Don't blame you.

I'm too afraid of the big bad wolf. (hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates

I've served a couple of times.

JanHaskell JanHaskell

In response to “I've served a couple of times.

Good for you, Jan.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

I've been called on for jury duty three times. Two times I wasn't selected, the other I was selected as an alternate. That meant I got to sit through the entire trial but wasn't allowed in the deliberation.

The trial I saw was one where a man was accused of breaking another man's leg with a baseball bat. A compound fracture at that. It was mostly through interpreters because no one spoke English.

I was later told by another juror that the accused was found not guilty, on account that they
didn't believe anyone's testimony. Everyone seemed to be hiding something. I completely agreed with their assessment and decision.

Funny side note:

At one point in the trial the DA asked a witness if she saw the accused with a baseball bat that night at the scene. She said she thought he was carrying something but couldn't tell what it was. The DA then asked if it could have been a big stick. Again the witness couldn't say. Was it large? She couldn't say. He persisted. Was it bigger than my pen (he pulled a pen from his shirt pocket and held it for all to see). Again she couldn't say. Frustrated, the DA asked, do you remember anything about the accused? She said (through a translator), well.. I remember he was wearing pants. At this point the other alternate juror and myself burst out in laughter but instantly caught ourselves. The judge scowled at is. True story. You couldn't make this stuff up.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “I've been called on for jury duty three...

Sounds like the Jerry Springer Show. Ha!

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “Sounds like the Jerry Springer Show. Ha!

For sure. lol

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

True life is funnier than fiction. That is so funny. Thanks for sharing, Phil.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

Yes and I did serve on a case for 3 days. It was interesting but not so interesting that I want to do it again. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

I've received the summons for jury duty 6 or 7 times. I've had some legitimate reasons to get out of it, and I did.

The two times I've not tried to get out of it, and been there at the courthouse for hours or a day, the case was put on hold or something, and all the potential jurors were dismissed.

Piper2 Piper2

I got called up a couple of times and spent most of the day sitting in a room waiting for the case which was dismissed so it was a non-event for me.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

Just once. i got out of it. my boss wrote a letter saying I was too valuable to the office. Then when I wanted a raise, he said I wasn't worth it.

SkylarPerkins SkylarPerkins

In response to “Just once. i got out of it. my boss wrote a...

Wow, sounds like your boss was a back stabber.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

Yes, called three times. Never served.

azlotto azlotto

I was summoned once. I went. It was a day wasted.

that_guy that_guy

In response to “I was summoned once. I went. It was a day wasted.

They usually are. Thanks for commenting.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

I was called. I got out of it due to school.

Trish Trish