Here's a good example of progressive thinking.  "Why do we live in a society where one of the icons of family entertainment, <em>the Pirates of the Caribbean</em> ride at Disneyland can have a segment called "wives for sale" and most non-progressives think that this endorsement of ****-trade slavery is just <em>good fun</em>?"  We will never progress until you can see the problem with that.  [Can't wait for the conservatives to rip me a new one for this post.]

VicZincgreenfrogfuzalaSukiesnowTrish

Sunny_the_skeptic

Sukiesnow
Here's a good example of progressive thinking. "Why do we live in a society where one of the icons of family entertainment, the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland can have a segment called "wives for sale" and most non-progressives think that this endorsement of ****-trade slavery is just good fun?" We will never progress until you can see the problem with that. [Can't wait for the conservatives to rip me a new one for this post.]

Start a boycott of Disneyland if you don't like it.

Bozette Bozette

Not much different from this

been going on for centuries

time for this to stop

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “Not much different from...

You're conflating **** slavery with foreign brides? Interesting choice. If that's even a legit ad, and I doubt it is, some women want to find a foreign husband because they're looking for a better future. There are also women who are kidnapped and sold into prostitution by criminal gangs, but that's not the same thing.

Even if you were to take away the ability of women to advertise for foreign husbands, that wouldn't do a damn thing to stop **** trafficking.

Maze Maze

In response to “You're conflating **** slavery with foreign...

Perhaps. What if we took away the male's belief that wives were a thing to be paid for?

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “Perhaps. What if we took away the male's...

How many men do you know that believe such a thing...seriously?

Bozette Bozette

In response to “How many men do you know that believe such a...

Personally? Got me, I don't ask around, I hope few if any. But based on the ad's I see on the internet, there seem to be a market. Maze's comment seems to indicate that some women find a that "market" which implies that there are 'consumers' out there willing to pay.

If it is a lot or a few, humans are never chattel and should never be treated as such.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “Personally? Got me, I don't ask around, I...

Sure, there's a market for everything. But I doubt such men are anywhere near as common in our culture as you imply.

As for the women...is it for you to determine what they do?

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Sure, there's a market for everything. But I...

Not at all. And I did not attempt to imply that this was a wide spread issue, only that until it is no longer a 'thing', progressives will have a goal.

You and others can continue to poo-poo this as a non-issue (exactly like OP predicted you would.) That doesn't make it a non-issue and it doesn't excuse you and others for your complacency in equating humans with property.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “Not at all. And I did not attempt to imply...

"... the male's belief..."

Unless you were speaking of a single man, this does indeed appear that you are implying it is widespread.

"You and others can continue to poo-poo this as a non-issue (exactly like OP predicted you would.) That doesn't make it a non-issue and it doesn't excuse you and others for your complacency in equating humans with property."

"Poo-pooing"? My "complacency in equating humans with property"? I acknowledged a fact and asked a question...which you did not answer, by the way. Maze, rightfully, called you out for equating foreign brides with kidnapping and forced prostitution/human trafficking. You seem far less concerned with the latter.

You can climb down off the lofty pedestal you've elevated yourself upon in order to look down upon others, Vic. It really must be difficult for you anyway, with your head so firmly implanted up your backside.

Bozette Bozette

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Start a boycott of Disneyland if you don't...

Thanks for begin the first to comment.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “Thanks for begin the first to comment.

Ah, do I detect a bit of sarcasm? You might even think I was being sarcastic, but I wasn't. I do not give my custom to businesses I disagree with.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “No need .... the change is already in...

So the sale of women will be replaced with theft... HA HA HA! 😂

Thanks for the link, Jan.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “So the sale of women will be replaced with...

Well, they are still pirates after all! (hehe)

JanHaskell JanHaskell

Disney is part of the Hollywood clique...therein lies the problem..

You should worry about what progressives are choosing to promote, instead of what some non-progressives MIGHT be thinking..

It's the same thing with guns...they don't like guns (well there's no problem with the guns their entourage carries, to guard them) but 7 out of 10 movies have hot lead ripping flesh apart..

Constantly with the mixed messages.

That's why I wouldn't go to Disneyland and don't watch many movies...too many hypocrites.

DandyDon DandyDon

And here's another perspective,no need take things so seriously. What if I say " I'm so hungry I could eat a horse" And everyone loses their mind OMG he's a horse murderer, he kills little cute horses for his sick pleasure OMGGGGGGG!

Why do progressives have to ruin everything by looking what to whine about and sadden everyone's day. It's not hurting anybody, no one in a modern, logical and democratic world actually thinks women are creatures so low that you should treat them like store merchandise. This oversensitive perspective is bad for everyone. I'd understand if this was about open hatred or offense but rather it's making a blue whale from a flea.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “And here's another perspective,no need take...

Maybe, I have complained more than once about the sidebar ads, right here on Amirite, that offer women like merchandise.

Are you sure in "no one in a modern, logical and democratic world actually thinks women are creatures so low that you should treat them like store merchandise."?

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “Maybe, I have complained more than once...

I'm pretty sure for the sole reason that we're supposed to be a rational society where such things can only be tolerated as jokes, if anything like this operates in a 1st world country it is dismantled and destroyed immediately.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Lighten up...it's a family fun fair ...

JD JD

Disney apparently agrees. It's being changed as we speak (or type)! (a)
http://variety.com/2017/biz/new...on-1202484394/

JanHaskell JanHaskell

"and most non-progressives think that this endorsement of ****-trade slavery is just good fun?" - What poll is that from?

Is this an excerpt of the Harvey Weinstein pamphlet of Ethics?

Getting close to the bottom of the barrel I see.

Budwick Budwick

I don't know anything about the ride, but is it contextual in a historical sense? As in, "this happened and we're acknowledging it?"

Also, is it possible it is depicted lightheartedly because it's part of a fictional play where the audience understands that it's not real?

StickCaveman StickCaveman