This type of malfunction happens more often than one thinks ... Watch the video and tell me how something like this can happen? ... I know,  because I've seen it happen on a T-Bar lift ...

TiffaneeAdaWill_JanitorSukiesnowCarlaRooster
This type of malfunction happens more often than one thinks ... Watch the video and tell me how something like this can happen? ... I know, because I've seen it happen on a T-Bar lift ...

Mechanical things malfunction. Especially when they arent maintained.

Carla Carla

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N...c?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

Carla Carla

In response to “Mechanical things malfunction. Especially...

I'll reveal how this happened later.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

I haven't been to the snow in years and have never seen anything like that before! Heard about a few things like that before though. Damn!

Rooster Rooster

In response to “I haven't been to the snow in years and have...

I'll reveal how this happened later.
Just think about the physics side of things.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

Seems like somebody could have pulled the plug and stop the mayhem.

VicZinc VicZinc

It's called a rollback.

A chairlift uses it's mechanical hydraulic power to take people up the hill, dropping them at the top. Means on an average, a high speed quad chairlift can pull about 700 lbs per chair and say 50 chairs (just going up) small lift.

Imagine a malfunction in the hydraulic, the electrical brakes failed and suddenly a rollback begins. The weight of the skiers per chair and around 50 chairs going backwards, the speed would be incredible (like what you see on the vid). The emergency brakes on the cables wouldn't really work or in this case it didn't. At that point jumping off is/was the only option. The chairs smashed into each other because they were detachable, so after the first few they piled up.

You should see what happens when the cables snap.

Are chairlifts a possible death trap ... Yup.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

No wonder that I've always felt uneasy going up.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “//No wonder that I've always felt uneasy...

Cause ya can come down backwards much faster.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

Human error and not maintaining the equipment. Same as on carnival rides, my son and friend were on a ride, the seat belt gave way, he was OK, but the girl was bounced around, got some bruises, but they got them down ASAP.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Human error and not maintaining the...

Hydraulic failure, then roll back. See my comment above

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP