Yes

foy49

No

PhilboydStudgeVicZincBudwickBozettebeachbumozzyboyNeanderthal_MomdoerJerryHendricksonWill_JanitorPennyThoughtsRoosterBubThedudeyouhatetomeetSynysterGates_Howler_minamullins22

I don't care

Nobody :(

Other

lemonpie

BozetteAdaWill_JanitorRoosterBubSynysterGates_Howler_
Is it right for teachers, schools and the media to use children who are supposed to be in class, to promote their political agendas?

Explained by JustJimColo...

What bothers me about the protests are the motivations behind the protests, and where the massive amount of money is coming from to fund these protests. There is pressure being placed on kids to participate by those organizing and coordinating these “protests”. This includes teachers and school officials. The organizers are “using” children to promote their agenda of banning guns. This has nothing to do with making schools safer. It is just a move to further the agenda of getting rid of 2nd Amendment rights. Today, there seems to be a wave of organized protests using children as young as grade schoolers. In a time when high school students struggle to pay for prom tickets, I find it interesting that these “kids” are receiving huge amounts money to protest from people such as George Clooney,(500K) Oprah, (500K) Soros, move on dot org, and other extremest organizations. Harry Styles, Mariah Carey and Justin Bieber, have also shown their support by signing a petition created by the "March for Our Lives" organizers that calls for action to end gun violence and protect schools. The media is also fully engaged in promoting and using children for their political agendas. (Where were they in all the prior school shootings?) There is another protest planned following the walkout called “March For Our Lives,” the march will be held in Washington, D.C. on March 24, with satellite events taking place across the country and internationally. There will also be another school walkout on April 20, to mark the 19th anniversary of the Columbine shooting. I find it disturbing that they are "using" our children as pawns. It also angers me when I think of what they are indoctrinating our kids with behind closed doors.

Neither is it right for teachers, schools and media to use children that choose NOT to participate in walkouts to punish children to support their political agendas.

Budwick Budwick

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Amen!

Thanks Beach!

Budwick Budwick

Would you be saying the same thing if the kids were walking out to support gun rights? Or does this only apply when the political opinions being expressed are not ones you agree with?

Additionally, what does it mean to "fund" a walkout? I'm fairly certain that students don't need to pay to be out of class for 17 minutes.

Logan Logan

In response to “Would you be saying the same thing if the...

Yes, I would. I don't think children should be "used" for ANY political agenda, be it gun rights, pro abortion, pro choice, pro LGBT, or anti LGBT, Pro Trump, Anti Trump, or any other political agenda. Children should be taught about the political process and how it is supposed to work. Not who they should vote for. I taught my children my values at home, just as I am sure those with opposing views taught their children at home. The role of teachers and schools is to educate, not indoctrinate.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “Yes, I would. I don't think children should...

I don't disagree with that and I do think that the media especially has been exploiting this. At the same time, I do support the right of teens to express their political views (and I also think it's important for young people to realize that politics is a slow process and that change doesn't happen overnight). If they want to participate in a protest, they can do so outside of school or if they do it during school, they can face whatever consequences they would face otherwise for skipping class.

Logan Logan

In response to “I don't disagree with that and I do think...

I am ALL for teens to express themselves. If they had done it after school, or on a weekend at no expense to the taxpayers, I wouldn't have a problem with it. (Other than funding coming from national political groups, on either side of an issue) Like "adults" they would still be required to get the appropriate permits, pay for the venues etc etc.
Lets be honest. How many "kids" would have shown up for a protest on a Saturday afternoon? Let's also throw in that it should be organized, and funded only by the children and there wouldn't be any celebrities in attendance. The kids also wouldn't get any extra credit from teachers for attending.

I don't see this as kids protesting as much as I see it as adults "using" kids to protest.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

Funding a walkout has also included busing kids at taxpayer expense to DC. These "walkouts" aren't walkouts. They are political rallies. Ever see a free political rally?

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

Jim, those young people are participating because they want to participate.

dru18 dru18

In response to “Jim, those young people are participating...

Are you sure? How many would have gone on a Saturday? Honestly? When I was in school, if somebody gave me the option of going outside for an hour, regardless of why I was out there, or sitting in class...... I also remember being forced outside for pep rallies that I didn't care anything about. (At least those were on school time, and not my own)

Kids said they were ordered to go outside by teachers. Baltimore schools spent $200K in taxpayer money to buss children to DC to protest.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “Are you sure? How many would have gone on a...

I doubt they were ordered and you should know better than to believe everything you read.

This generation is a little different, in that many have been in a war zone, while sitting in class.

dru18 dru18

In response to “I doubt they were ordered and you should know...

Dru... I didn't read it. My son came home and told me about it.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “Dru... I didn't read it. My son came home...

Told you what? That they were forcing him to participate in a protest?

dru18 dru18

In response to “yes

Jim, I hope you are not pulling my leg. Nobody should ever be forced to protest for a cause, especially one they don't believe in.

dru18 dru18

I'd rather pay $200K to bus kids to D.C. for what I consider to be a safety and security issue, not a political one, than pay for Shulkin, Zinke, Carson, et al to spend frivolously for office furniture and their personal travel expenses and the millions it's costing for Trump to spend weekends at Mar-A-Lago.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “I'd rather pay $200K to bus kids to D.C. for...

Really Lynn? A school that deosn't have enough money to pay for heating in their school is gong to pay 200K to bus kids to a protest, and you believe that is going to make schools safer?
Then you deflect it to someone buying furniture? It sounds like you really don't want to address the issue as much as you want to voice your hate for the right.

So you support teachers using children for their own political purposes... OK.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “Really Lynn? A school that deosn't have...

For one thing, there is a fund to which a number of people are contributing to help these kids get where they need to be for their protests, so unless that school district is not applying for reimbursement, it will have to pay. The taxpayers in Baltimore will have to eat that cost - not the rest of the country. Second, I'm not deflecting - I'm pointing out your hypocrisy in your complaint that the school spent so much money when politicians do it all the time and ALL the taxpayers pay for it. I don't hear a thing about that. It's no secret that I detest what some of the right-wing politicians are doing and they are doing it for political gain. The kids are doing it for safety and security reasons - they're the ones that are getting killed.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “For one thing, there is a fund to which a...

These kids aren't doing it for their safety. Most have no clue what they are even protesting against. It's ironic that they are protesting to raise the law to buy a gun because they claim a 20 year is not mature enough to own a gun, but the same kids and people who want to eliminate guns, claim these kids are mature enough to make decisions about our constitution and policy.

We both know that getting rid of assault rifles isn't going to stop a single school shooting any more than raising the age to buy a gun isn't going to change anything. How hard is it for a criminal or an illegal of any age to get a gun. Changing laws don't do anything. How many laws do we already have against murdering people? I can't think of a one that has stopped a murder.

As to your fund... are you talking about the fund that Clooney donated 500K to, or Oprah for 500K? Or maybe move on.org for 3 million? By the way.... many schools dollars come out of Federal funds.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “These kids aren't doing it for their safety...

They aren't necessarily talking about handguns. They are talking about assault-type rifles that hold large ammo clips. There isn't one good reason you or anyone else can give me for a civilian not in law enforcement to have that kind of weapon and ammo. There isn't any good reason not to ban bump stocks. Not one, and every recent mass shooting has been done with one of those weapons.

I might agree with you about changing laws not doing any good if it wasn't for the proven fact that Australia banned assault-type weapons in 1996 and hasn't had one mass shooting since. How is it that this country, of all the "civilized" countries in the world, has more mass shootings than any other?

As far as the kids not knowing what they're protesting, I suggest that you may not be giving them sufficient credit. Remember, the seniors are going to be of voting age in the not-too-distant future.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “They aren't necessarily talking about...

Do you know how many killings have been done by "assault rifles", or even ALL rifles combined last year Linn? 374. Over 1600 were killed by knives.
Do you know why people have rifles? To kill predators, to hunt with, for self defense, to target shoot with, etc etc. There is no such thing as an assault rifle as a category of weapon Lynn. It is a made up phrase for a rifle that has a different cosmetic design than the same rifle with a classic wooden stock. A single shot 22 rifle could be an assault rifle if someone is charging at you with it. I may not need a high capacity magazine to shoot a prairie dog with but if I am defending my home and my family, I might. Ever watch a police firefight? How many rounds do they shoot in a defensive situation? A lot.

You just said that I am not giving kids enough credit for being mature, and they will be voting soon. If they claim they are too immature to own a gun, then aren't they too immature to be making decisions about who to vote for? Are they mature enough to buy alcohol and marijuana, where it is legal? Either a person is considered an adult or they aren't.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “Do you know how many killings have been done...

You don't think it's worth saving 374 lives by enacting some very reasonable and common sense gun regulations? Is there some good reason not to eliminate the loophole of buying a gun at a gun show without waiting for a more extensive background check? Is there some really good reason not to make sure that a person buying a gun doesn't have some serious mental health issues? No one is trying to take away your guns - all they are asking is that some common sense be used when someone want to purchase one.

In NY, the drinking age is 21 - same as it might be for purchasing a gun. As far as I know, legal purchase of marijuana is for medical use only.

There are 18 year olds who are mature enough to make many good decisions and there are older, "mature" people who are not.

The issue of lowering the voting age to 18 occurred as a result of the Vietnam War. The argument was that if you were old enough to be drafted at 18, you should be able to vote at that age. It took until 1970 for it to be enacted.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “You don't think it's worth saving 374 lives...

Let’s look at just how miniscule that number of 374 is, when looking at the US.
Did you know that illegals are responsible for an average of 3,500 murders and killing 4,700 people while driving drunk, every year? That’s almost 8,000 deaths a year attributed to just illegals in our country. How many of them were children? Where is the outrage?

Lets get back to the subject of schools and violence.

Did you know that there are over 850,000 acts of violence in public schools a year in the US?
Did you know there are over 35,000 threats with weapons other than firearms in our schools each year?
Here are all the statistics about crime and violence in our schools that I cited above. There are more than you want to even read. They seem to cover up everything except the active shooters that the media and gun control nuts like to jump on.
https://nces.ed.gov/pubs2017/2017122.pdf

2,132 students are killed in school related transportation a year. Get rid of cars.
Over a 15 year period, 61 deaths were the result of arguments in school. There were 6 deaths as the result of robberies and 134 deaths that the cause was unknown. There were 24 gang related killings.
Do you know there is an average of 32.6 homicides in public schools each year? That’s 489 in a 15 year period. Why don’t we hear about those statistics? Where is the outrage about the danger in schools?
There were an estimated total of 1,299 people killed in schools and school related incidents in 15 years. That averages out to 87 school associated deaths per year. Why don’t we hear about this?? Schools are NOT a safe place in this country.

http://safehavensinternational....12_Schools.pdf

You can’t argue with real numbers. Also note that the links I gave are NOT conservative websites. :)

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “Let’s look at just how miniscule that...

I understand your point. However, knives, cars, school buses, etc. are not manufactured for the purpose of killing - guns are and you have still not given me one reason for anyone not in the military or law enforcement to have an assault-type weapon.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “I understand your point. However, knives...

There is no such thing as an assault rifle Linn. The only difference between your "assault rife" and any other semi automatic hunting rife is the "look". There is no difference in the way they work. It's like saying we need to outlaw Hummers because they are military vehicles. They do the same thing as any other SUV. They just look different.
MOST guns are made for killing. So what? I hunt. My goal is to kill an animal, be it for food or for thinning out predators. I also have guns for self defense and protection of my family. So what? Isn't that my right? Who is anyone, to say what gun I should or shouldn't have to do these things? All my guns are legal. I am experienced with all the guns I have. I am even experienced with the "assault rifles", as you call them, although I don't own one yet.
You continue to blame the gun instead of the person who pulls the trigger.
There are currently about 15 million people who own your "assault rifles" in this country. Out of those 15,000,000, how many have been used in school shooting? maybe 3 or 4? It looks like those "assault rifles" have the lowest rate of violence against people of any weapon in the country.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “There is no such thing as an assault rifle...

We are never going to see eye-to-eye on this subject, so I suggest we agree to disagree.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “We are never going to see eye-to-eye on this...

Excellent suggestion...<s>

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “Excellent suggestion...<s>

Better than becoming enemies. :)

Linnster Linnster

In response to “Better than becoming enemies. :)

I doubt if we'll become enemies. LOL... We may irritate the crap out of each other at times but we can still have civil debates about things we disagree on and there are some things we do agree on.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “I doubt if we'll become enemies. LOL... We...

I agree. That's why I enjoy our discussions.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “Same here.

Thank you. :)

Linnster Linnster

As a matter of fact, it should be a crime.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “As a matter of fact, it should be a crime.

I don't know why we bother trying to convince the idiots of anything Jim. They argue against common sense every damn time. Sometimes it really pisses me off. I wish they'd just disappear, go to some non-existent fairy tail land where everyone is a pansy ****. They're brainless.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “It's frustrating.

Yes it is Jerry. If the students were protesting in favor of a right wing ideology, they would be screaming against it. If it's for left wing, they scream for it. How do you convince people that people entrusted with the care and education of our children, shouldn't be doing it at all, for either sides agenda. When people support "using" children, they really don't care about the children at all.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “Yes it is Jerry. If the students were...

Then I take it you don't think teachers should be armed? Good, because it is their job to teach - not to play security guard. And, while I'm at it, did you read about the teacher who injured 3 kids while teaching them gun safety? Just the kind of guy I want taking care of my kid.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “Then I take it you don't think teachers...

Then what is your answer to the violence in the schools and in the streets? A realistic one Linn....

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “Then what is your answer to the violence in...

The violence in the streets and outside the schools are in poorer areas and they aren't using assault rifles.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “The violence in the streets and outside the...

What is the answer to fix the problem then Lynn? It seems like nobody can give a realistic answer but everyone is ready to criticize any ideas that are thrown on the table.
Why would they use semi automatic "assault rifles", in those areas when the criminals there have (illegal) fully automatic machine guns? As to poorer areas, I know a lot of farming communities that are a lot poorer than the inner cities and they don't have the problems of massive violence. The excuse of living in a poor neighborhood is just an "excuse" to avoid responsibility and to get a free pass.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “What is the answer to fix the problem then...

The issue is not simplistic. There's more than one reason and many times, especially in instances of mass shootings, where mental health is the issue. Parents in some cases are in denial that their child needs help.

When I speak of the poorer areas, I'm talking about places in the inner cities where the family is broken, where kids belong to gangs because it gives them a sense of belonging that they don't have. This is not a one reason problem. As far as poorer areas, you talk about farming communities where there is likely a family unit. These kids in the inner cities are many times raised by single parents, which in an of itself does not mean they will pick up a gun and shoot someone, but we both know that having two parents who are interested in the welfare of their children is a leg up to raising a good kid.

We can't stop every killing and we can't necessarily stop every mass shooting incident, but we can certainly try to make it harder for them to take place by making it more difficult for them to obtain the type of weapon that can kill large umbers of people in a short period of time.

Linnster Linnster

No.

I am of the opinion that schools should teach about the processes of protest, disent, ect., without injecting their personal opinions into the classroom. When we covered current events in my Government and Family Living classes in high school, both of which covered some hot topics, I cannot recall my teachers ever expressing their opinions. They encouraged us to discuss, to learn about things before forming opinions, to be open to having our opinions change if we were presented with new information of import...but I couldn't tell you where they personally stood on those topics.

The MSM has long been about forming public opinion, rather than simply reporting facts. That isn't anything new, they were just more circumspect about it than they are today. And while I really don't expect they will change, I am disgusted by their exploitation of tragic events, particularly when they involve using children close to the tragedy and/or use scare tactics to foment fear in other children.

I don't think I need to reiterate my thorough disgust of politicians and celebrities that do so.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “No. I am of the opinion that schools should...

Well said Boz. I remember the Viet Nam protests and while we all had our opinions about it, and teachers made us discuss what was going on in current events classes, they didn't take political sides one way or the other in the classroom. Maybe that's because some of us had brothers, friends, or former classmates in Viet Nam and it wasn't a left issue or a right issue. Maybe that's what's wrong today. Everyone is told to take a stand along political lines and support every agenda of that party, or shut up.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “Well said Boz. I remember the Viet Nam...

That was a bit before my time. I think the reason it was as it was in my experience had more to do with where I grew up than anything. Parents probably wouldn't have put up with it. And parents had far more sway in how their schools were run than today.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “That was a bit before my time. I think the...

I kind of liked it when the schools worked for and were accountable to the parents for what they taught. Maybe it was just being from a small town.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “I kind of liked it when the schools worked...

Same here, Jim. I grew up between a village and a burg. I think local governments, as well as schools, should be answerable to the local populations as they once were.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Same here, Jim. I grew up between a village...

It sure helped in teaching kids the communities values.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

The only good I see that might come out of this is a more politically involved generation.. but that's yet to be determined.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “The only good I see that might come out of...

I actually like for kids to be politically motivated once they have matured into young adults. I just prefer they first learn how to think, learn and then decide for themselves instead of being brainwashed.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “I actually like for kids to be politically...

Kids are coming into their own once they enter their teens. That is when they find out who they are.

dru18 dru18

Just think of all the new reality shows in the wings. What's wrong with you?

Freeranger Freeranger