In your opinion, when all said and done...which is the MORE successful post, The post with 100 comments generated by 3 or 4 members, or a post with 50 comments generated by 20 or more members?

More comments, less members participate

Nobody :(

Less comments, More members participate

PhilboydStudgeBlewynanifailSunny_the_skepticThedudeyouhatetomeetHim

It depends on blah blah blah. I like to hear myself talk.

Nobody :(

I hate Trump

Nobody :(

I hate Hillary.

Nobody :(

I don't understand the question, and I never will.

Nobody :(

All posts matter. There, I got out of it.

Nobody :(

Certainly not THIS post!

Sweetater

Other

VicZinclemonpie

BozetteSukiesnowBlewynanifail

Explained by Sweetater...

I think it's a bit tedious watching 3 or 4 people go back & forth, on & on about the same things. TRY not to be overly analytical, please.

I like it when there is a lively discussion about the actual subject of what I post, whether it is 5 different people, or 20. That would not include a few
people taking it over with gifs, memes, or mutual admiration..

Piper2 Piper2

It all depends on the context, the question, the topic, the intent, the OP, anony or not, blah blah blah yak yak yak. (smile)

Sweetater Sweetater OP

It's nice to see more members participating, then you get more points of view.

Thedudeyouhatetomeet Thedudeyouhatetomeet

It depends. If a genuine debate about the posted topic ensues, regardless of the number of participants, I would think that a good post. If it is a few members just chit-chatting, it more resembles a group email, imo...interesting for the participants, but not me.

Bozette Bozette

What Boz said, if it's a debate then regardless of the number of members on that post, it could be a good one and members just didn't join in to comment.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “What Boz said, if it's a debate then...

I agree. There are some debates that people just aren't comfortable jumping in on, or want to remain neutral on.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

Votes. Votes are all that matter.

VicZinc VicZinc

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “I like it when there is a //lively//...

The prefect answer. Thank you. You get it (y)

Sweetater Sweetater OP

I just wish more people would participate, it would make the site more interesting.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

All things being equal, I would tend to think posts with more members commenting are more "successful" (whatever that means). However, I'd take quality over quantity any day. If two people are having a good debate that's great!

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

How do you measure success? If you're looking to have lots of active members, the most success comes from a post with lots of people. If you're looking for intelligent conversation, you may want fewer people.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

I'll take 4 or 5 quality comments over volume any day.

Freeranger Freeranger

The more variety to people the better, a lot of comments by the same people suggests arguing and debates that might not provide much of a variety to a post

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic