StickCaveman

Nobody :)

StarzAboveSofiaWill_JanitorSukiesnowCarlaRoosterBub
You're stuck in a critical survival situation where you need to start a fire to live. You only have a lighter, an American flag, and The Holy Bible. Which do you burn first?

Either...I'm not that religeous and I'm not American ....

JD JD

Before anyone says they'd just grab some sticks, you don't have any. You can't use the flag as a blanket because this scenario isn't about staying warm. It's about starting a fire to live. What do you do?

StickCaveman StickCaveman OP

JD JD

Me? I'm going to unholster my k-bar, and cut off a piece of my skivvies. I would find it very hard to do either option.

Freeranger Freeranger

In response to “Me? I'm going to unholster my k-bar, and cut...

Good point, John. Ha!

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Hmm... well the flag is made out of a synthetic material that is very flammable, but all it does is melt and spew out toxic smoke (ever drop a cigarette on an acrylic couch throw?). The bible is composed of very, very thin paper which is also very flammable, but it would burn WAY too quickly (ever light an empty cigarette tube?). This is a difficult question, because neither materials are suitable for creating a fire in which to keep warm.

Hey, I'm being practical lol

Thedudeyouhatetomeet Thedudeyouhatetomeet

In response to “Hmm... well the flag is made out of a...

Oh sounds like you have experience - or get really cheap flags
(sad)

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

In response to “Oh sounds like you have experience - or get...

No experience burning bibles or flags, just experience with the materials they're made of.

That's easy. The bible as it's paper and easier to light. Use enough of it and you'll get decent fire. About all it's good for anyway.

Rooster Rooster

I suggest that someone requiring an entire bible or flag as a firestarter is likely going to die of sheer stupidity in any truly critical situation.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “I suggest that someone requiring an entire...

hahahgahaha. Sad to think some people are really that stupid eh?

All there is a book and a flag, as you said, no wood. Im walking till i find some. Then...i will use a bit of the book.

Carla Carla

I'd start with the flag, and then add the pages of the Bible to keep it going.

It wouldn't be a sin to use what you have on hand to survive. I'm patriotic and I'm also a believer.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

Neither one would offer enough heat to make a difference. But, I suspect the 'clever' OP hasn't presented us with a survival riddle as much as presented us a choice of which object we would disrespect first. But, since there's no wood to burn where I am, I'll follow Carla and help her find something to burn.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Neither one would offer enough heat to make a...

We can talk about our dogs. Bring up politics and you walk behind me;)

Carla Carla

In response to “We can talk about our dogs. Bring up politics...

I'm not what you mean, but I can tell we're just walking our dogs looking for stuff to burn, so I'm cool.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I'm not what you mean, but I can tell we're...

NOW I know what you remind me of: it's your name. Budwick. It has the ring of a Sinclair Lewis work... much like Babbitt.

Bub Bub

In response to “NOW I know what you remind me of: it's your...

A fan of Babbit, are you? - a story demeaning the middle-class and capitalism.

Budwick Budwick

If there are no other resources, this scenario isn't about survival. If it isn't about staying warm then why would you need a fire? I'm assuming there isn't any game or any other kind of food since there is no vegetation. (Animals have to eat) Even if there was a magic rabbit that appeared in this environment, the materials at hand wouldn't provide enough heat to cook it. Buds right, this isn't a survival scenario.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

The bible cuz the American Flag looks way cooler.

Skr3wBall Skr3wBall

In response to “The bible cuz the American Flag looks way cooler.

What good is a fire if you don't have something substantial to burn. neither a book or a flag is going to burn long so maybe I won't start a fire. I would burn some pages from bible because it would be easier to start. Wrap up in the flag cause it would keep me warmer.

In response to “What good is a fire if you don't have...

You're adding too much to the scenario. He didn't say the purpose of burning something, he just said burning one thing lets you live. Literally the walls could just be closing in and the only way for it to stop is if a flame from a lighter touches one of the two objects, we know nothing. I'm burning the bible, I'm more attached to the American flag than it.

Skr3wBall Skr3wBall

In response to “You're adding too much to the scenario. He...

You may be right -But I always need to know the whole story.

If that is all you have to burn you might as well just sit down and read the Bible. Who knows you might learn something before you die. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Christ but I hate posers like this... I never get it right. Maybe if I dramatically changed my thought patterns like George did that one time (hmm)

https://youtu.be/RerJWv5vwxc

Bub Bub

What are we starting the fire for, apparently there is no further fuel so what would be the point?

AliceD AliceD

I agree with Alice. Why start a fire if it is not to sustain a larger goal,
like food, warmth or protection?

ozzyboy ozzyboy

try this

a few bits of magnesium
some tinder like pine needles, cobwebs even some fluff from a cattail top

a spark from a knife an wala!

hell, with a firestarter one can start a fire in a rainstorm

you ain't from the woods are you

I can tell such things
for if you knew about a fire starter
you wouldn't have asked such a question

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

In response to “try this a few bits of magnesium some tinder...

did you try the firestarter? I have seen the commercials and wondered if they really worked.

In response to “did you try the firestarter? I have seen the...

I own 3 of them
one on the key chain
one each in bugout bags

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

I would rip some of the paper, make a pile with the flag and set it on fire. Then I would keep adding the rest of the pages, to keep the fire going. I'm not sure either would keep the fire alive for long though.

Sofia Sofia

Neither of those matter for me so I'll burn them both but really, if you're in the woods this can't be the best you have. There are piles of dead branches and leaves, burning a flag and a book would be a needless waste.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Neither of those matter for me so I'll burn...

Sunny, I thought the same, the poster didn't tell us where or why.

In response to “Sunny, I thought the same, the poster didn't...

Guess OP just wanted to see which of those would be the first choice for people who value those items.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Use the lighter and light the bible on fire, sorry Jesus, the you make a big fire gathering the sticks from the nearest tree, make the fire as big as you can, then for additional signal wave the flag, you can also use the flag as something to lay of or possible to catch fish

SociallyAwkwark

Well,I think paper would burn better than fabric. Therefore I guess I'd burn the Bible. I don't care much about the flag, but I just don't think it'd meet my kindling needs.

Trish Trish

Ha ha...I love this post... Everything goes for me.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

Obviously neither is practical for the scenario that you implied

Stevensssss