Yes Michigan!  Think more states should do this?

PhilboydStudgeVicZincForkNdaRoadWill_JanitorBlewynanifailRoosterSynysterGatesHim
Yes Michigan! Think more states should do this?

Explained by Bozette...

I do!

Hmm, methinks this could a sham. The NSA doesn't really need state assistance with mass data collection.

Is this one of those symbolic things where they enjoy the benefit of being against it without actually doing anything about it? Perhaps this would make a difference at the enforcement level? Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Lemme know what shakes out of this, will ya? I'm curious to see if it makes a difference and don't get me wrong, I hope it makes a difference. They all ought to be in jail behind that. imo

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “Hmm, methinks this could a sham. The NSA...

My thoughts on it, as stated above, are that it may just be a baby step...but it is a step. Bottom line is that - barring a people's revolution, which I do not see occurring - only the states have the means to nullify overreach by the feds.

Bozette Bozette OP

In response to “My thoughts on it, as stated above, are that...

Oh, at the very least I hope it gives some faceless, unelected bureaucrat a migraine!

It is the duty of the states to fight back, after all.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “Oh, at the very least I hope it gives some...

Indeed it is. Look at the marijuana laws. Or the Real ID act...that was supposed to take effect in 2008, but the states have held that off until 2020. If they really dug in their heels, they could nullify a lot more.

Bozette Bozette OP

In response to “Indeed it is. Look at the marijuana laws...

Now that's my kind of law, referendum style!

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

What harm except to criminals? They can look at everything I do as nothing funny from me or anyone I know..

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

In response to “What harm except to criminals? They can look...

So...you have no curtains, shades, bathroom or bedroom doors, no front or back doors?

Bozette Bozette OP

I think you may be taking the government's intentions for granted. Have you been paying attention to their behavior? Many will cheat, lie, slander, and do almost anything for power. I simply do not trust them with my personal data.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “I think you may be taking the government's...

Philly I just wouldn't care what they look at. I have no secrets, no power, no reason to worry.

Sounds interesting. I don't like the invasive nature of the NSA and I don't trust what are supposed to be the checks and balance of it. Just one question though. Would they have been able to track and find the Texas bomber without it? I honestly don't know.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “Sounds interesting. I don't like the invasive...

Yes. They caught him by going from the videos at FedEx (one of which showed his vehicle), which led them to video at Home Depot, and those gave them probable cause to track his cell phone, which is how they located him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03...s-suspect.html

Bozette Bozette OP

Yes. Ultimately, it was video footage from the private property of a business that led them to the bomber. This was also the result of very poor judgement on his part... as is typically the case.

Intriguing given the vast network of cameras throughout the Austin / R.R. areas.

Reminds me of the authorities going door to door invading residents home in Boston following the Boston Marathon bombing, only for a private resident to find the fella hiding in his boat.

Furthermore, they could very easily have procured a proper warrant, with the video footage and dept. of motor vehicle information they gleaned from it, to order his cell phone carrier's assistance in locating him via his phone.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

I don't know Boz - I understand and support the concept - I just don't see it making a real difference.

Rep. Howrylak said. “My bill will certify that the State of Michigan will not assist the federal government in any data collection unless it is 100 percent consistent with the U.S. Constitution.” But, the Constitution does not explicitly include the right to privacy - so what does his bill actually do for us?

Now, the Supreme Court Supreme Court has found that the Constitution implicitly grants a right to privacy against governmental intrusion from the First Amendment, Third Amendment, Fourth Amendment, and the Fifth Amendment. So, now we have a law that says we have to really, REALLY follow the law?

To me it's reminiscent of what the UN was farting around with back when they were warning Iraq to be compliant with demands for cooperation with UN inspectors looking for WMD. They sent dozens of these warnings with escalating tone and no enforcement.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I don't know Boz - I understand and support...

It could actually make a big difference, depending on certain things. How much data they collects through fusion centers, whether the state actually abides by it, other states passing and abiding by similar laws (others are being considered), and whether or not they try to build a facility in our state.

The Constitution does explicitly include the right to privacy, despite not actually using the word itself, in the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 9th Amendments. JMHO

Bozette Bozette OP

Whenever I read those three little letters.....I always wonder who has oversight, and then.....who's watching THAT oversight? I mean, holy shit, who has the ultimate power to cut the puppet strings?

Freeranger Freeranger

In response to “Whenever I read those three little...

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"...who has the ultimate power to cut the puppet strings?"

Ultimately...only the people can do so. JMHO

Bozette Bozette OP

In response to “//Quis custodiet ipsos...

this just keeps returning to my subconscious
"an unarmed man is a subject. an armed man is a citizen...."

Freeranger Freeranger

In response to “this just keeps returning to my...

I hear ya, FR.

Bozette Bozette OP

The only proper function of a government is to prevent any other group from taking control. The duty of a citizen is to control his government. That is why governments always eventually treat citizens as enemies of the state.

that_guy that_guy

Get back to us when a state bans TSA.

that_guy that_guy

not enough info to answer

Aloysious

In response to “not enough info to answer

I provided a link, which also includes links.

Bozette Bozette OP