Do you think that using electronic shocks on students (mentally or emotionally disabled) is a reasonable approach to "training" these children who have exhibited improper behavior?  This is the only school in the country that still uses this technique.

Piper2TiffaneeBozetteWill_JanitorMashaPartyOfOneCarlaRooster
Do you think that using electronic shocks on students (mentally or emotionally disabled) is a reasonable approach to "training" these children who have exhibited improper behavior? This is the only school in the country that still uses this technique.

I am opposed to shock collars on dogs. Of couse im opposed to shocking people. Children for cryin out loud:[

Carla Carla

In response to “I am opposed to shock collars on dogs. Of...

Well it is happening at this 'school'.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “Well it is happening at this 'school'.

I see that. I had no idea.
I hope the people advocating for their civil liberties are successful.

Carla Carla

Oh hell no! I saw a video and read up on this school a few years ago. It sickens and angers me to think about it.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “**Oh hell no! ** I saw a video and read up...

I read up on it as well when the court was about to be involved, and I saw the video as well. JFC!

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

In response to “I read up on it as well when the court was...

The court is routinely involved, as each case must have a probate judge sign off on it yearly. At least they won't be allowed to use this on new students/residents.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “The court is routinely involved, as each case...

True about new students from 2011 on, though any student who was court-approved to receive the shocks before the enactment took place in 2011 will be grandfathered-in. :( The JRC is still operating and, for them, it's business as usual.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

In response to “True about new students from 2011 on, though...

Yep, but the court still has to approve each of those cases yearly.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Yep, but the court still has to approve each...

Yes, I'd forgotten but, yes and I'm thankful that mandate's in-place.

Here's some admirable history and upsetting facts re: BPI;JRC involvements with deaths, abuse, and so on:

https://autistichoya.files.word...clnk&gl=us

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

In response to “Yes, I'd forgotten but, yes and I'm thankful...

Oh, I am glad to see that no new cases will be approved, I just wish they had stopped the abuse that is ongoing, too.

File is 404ed.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Try this:...

I went through all those cases when I researched it before, and more. It's heartbreaking to even read about it...how those administering the "treatments" can live with themselves is beyond me.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I went through all those cases when I...

I very much agree. I come across so many traumatic injustices without trying and it does weigh me down tremendously.

Thanks for the conversation, Boz - you're always nice company ;) *hug*

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

No way Jose! This isn't the 30's anymore. Sounds more like torture to me which would only make the kids worse!

Rooster Rooster

I thought shock therapy was used for the mentally disabled, and in a hospital, not children.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

No. I understand that behavior modification tactics such as described, do often actually work in the short term, with both humans and non-humans.
Sometimes even for a lifetime, as far as a being cowed and broken.

I'd not heard of Rotenberg's facility before.

Piper2 Piper2

I watched a documentary about that recently. They were talking about adults, but it isn't like it was decades ago. I had electric shock to my heart and that stopped rapid heart beat. I don't think children should get shocked in school but a clinic could help them perhaps.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

That's barbaric.

urwutuis urwutuis

Coming from a person with a disability, bold-faced NO. It’s torture.

Masha Masha

Absolutely not!!!

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

There are a few people I wouldn't mind seeing get a cattle prod tap dance, but using skin shocks on kids with mental issues doesn't sound like a valid therapy. JMHO

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor