Feminism is unnecessary in today's developed countries.

minamullins22Sunny_the_skepticThedudeyouhatetomeet

DWFVicZincTiffaneeSukiesnowastral_queenSofiaprimeiroLorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundredWunderscoreSkr3wBallvividlyprosaicTrish

SukiesnowRooster

LOL...Seriously? Using the term sexist to describe climate control is utterly ridiculous. I would agree that climate controlled buildings are often chilly, but the cause is not misogyny. Please...

As to your statement, I have to disagree. Feminism remains necessary because sexism still exists. So does racism, anti-Semitism, heterosexism, agism, xenophobia, etc...That's the reality and we have to deal with it. I don't believe whether or not one lives in a "developed country" is relevant when it comes to discrimination or prejudice. Bigotry is always wrong. The fact that it's worse in other countries doesn't excuse us.

(pce)

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

Nothing is unnecessary.

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Nothing is unnecessary.

That isn't proving anything, and isn't true. If you are for feminism, feminism isn't unnecessary. But is sexism necessary?

minamullins22 OP

In response to “That isn't proving anything, and isn't true...

Good question. Philosophical I would say yes. Anything that exists is a necessary consequent of all the events that lead to its existence.

Something exist if, and only if, their antecedents exist and is therefore a necessary condition for the next eventuality.

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Good question. Philosophical I would say...

So it's not "nothing is unnecessary," but "nothing comes from nothing".

minamullins22 OP

Sometimes, I guess.

I need a little moire to go on here. Are you speaking of anything specific? I'm unaware of 'sexist air conditioning claims'.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Sometimes, I guess. I need a little moire to...

Notice the news anchor is wearing a sleeveless outfit. 🤔

https://youtu.be/MNH0bmYT7os

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Notice the news anchor is wearing a...

Oh my goodness. It's about the office temperature? I thought maybe the air conditioning trade favored men or something.

Put on a Sweater and get over it!

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Oh my goodness. It's about the office...

Agreed. Most of this crap has me shaking my head.

Bozette Bozette

One look at a video of "ice dance" shows that women think it is totally normal to be be nearly naked in cold places. They not only wear skimpy clothing, they persist in skating **** first.

that_guy that_guy

In response to “One look at a video of "ice dance"...

That is quite...disturbing.

Bozette Bozette

Hahaha, what else will they make up? So desperately searching for a purpose they will accuse everything of sexism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kf1FO1uwP0

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Hahaha, what else will they make up? So...

I think that's why they have those "women's studies" classes/degrees at colleges now...to think up new ways to be offended.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I think that's why they have those...

The saying " You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain" is in play here, I think feminists should focus on places where women are in real oppression rather than focus on 1st world countries and make up new things like manspreading, pink tax and toxic masculinity.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “The saying " You either die a hero or...

That ship has sailed. They won't do that, that would require they genuinely care about women being oppressed. All they care about is finding offense...and when they can't find it, they create it. That's why "microagressions" have become such a big thing. Not only can they be offended when no offense was intended, they can be offended on behalf of others when no offense was intended and the people on whose behalf they are claiming offense aren't offended. It's really rather ingenious...and oppressive for everyone else.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “That ship has sailed. They won't do that...

Very, very well said.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Very, very well said.

Thank you, sir.

Bozette Bozette

Oh. Good. Grief.

beachbum beachbum

If there's no feminism in developed countries who's going to stop me from man-spreading? Or man-splaining? or not being ashamed for being a male?

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “If there's no feminism in developed countries...

Can't do without us, huh? :)

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “Can't do without us, huh? :)

Man-spreading doesn't exist. Man-splaining is explaining. Putting man in front of everything isn't doing anything. Imagine Man-eating or man-walking or man-sleeping.

minamullins22 OP

In response to “Man-spreading doesn't exist. Man-splaining is...

You weren't with me that day on the subway. This guy had his leg spread so far out it was hampering mine - i mean...couldn't he see that?...I finally asked him to move it...which he did but not without irritation and annoyance.

Man-walking and -sleeping...you could be onto something...as men do have some distinct habits... Man-eating was a song directed at women I think in the 80s.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “You weren't with me that day on the subway...

That doesn't sound like a problem for just men.

minamullins22 OP

In response to “That doesn't sound like a problem for just men.

Women sometimes do spread their stuff around on other seats...which they need to stop doing...it's deters people from sitting down...this is public transit after all.

Yes...both sexes can have the same problems sometimes.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “Women sometimes //do// spread their stuff...

You just proved my point.

minamullins22 OP

In response to “You just proved my point.

Ha. That doesn't take away from the man-spreading issue.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “Ha. That doesn't take away from the...

Then why is it MAN-spreading?

minamullins22 OP

In response to “Then why is it MAN-spreading?

Women rarely sit that way.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “Women rarely sit that way.

Where is the proof for that?

minamullins22 OP

In response to “Where is the proof for that?

You'd have to take the word of an oft-time public transit user.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “You'd have to take the word of an oft-time...

I use public transport almost daily and nobody complains about "manspreading" or refusing to share space.

minamullins22 OP

One would think, right? But no...even tho it looks like we've gotten some perks...we still have a ways to go until it's equal.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “One would think, right? But no...even tho it...

When is "equal" ever acheived for you?

minamullins22 OP

In response to “When is "equal" ever acheived for you?

When the realization of women being equal occurs subconsciously in all people. :)

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “When the realization of women being equal...

Why is it just the realization of women and not also the realization of men?

minamullins22 OP

In response to “Why is it just the realization of women and...

We've been unequal for so many years - once that is subliminally accepted without demur...then it will automatically follow that we are all equal...and that will be followed by...etc...as we continue to spiritually elevate.

People can say things all they want: things like I'm don't see colour, or I believe in equality...and I don't believe it...since the proof is in the subconscious and how can you prove that?

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

gotta keep on that or men start pushing you down again.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

In response to “gotta keep on that or men start pushing you...

Of course, we hate women so much there is nothing else we would like to do than to remind the common woman that she's inferior, we totally don't have mothers or daughters and definitely have no reason to ever love women (sarcasm in case someone thinks I was serious)

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

It's really the opposite now.

minamullins22 OP

(pce)

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

In response to “LOL...Seriously? Using the term sexist to...

Too bad I can't upvote you more than once :)

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

Bigotry is wrong. But feminism isn't what it used to be. Sexism is illegal, so you can sue for sexism. Explain what feminism means, to you.

minamullins22 OP

In response to “Bigotry is wrong. But feminism isn't what it...

To me feminism means equality between the sexes. Socially, politically, economically, legally, etc...

Unfortunately we don't have that yet. Consider this...

Women who work full-time earn only 80.5 cents for every dollar earned by men.

Women hold about 52% of all the professional level jobs in America, but only about 14% of executive level positions are held by women. And only about 5% of Fortune 500 companies have a female CEO.

There are only 21 women in the senate and 83 women in the house. Only about 33% of all the state and federal judges are women.

I could go on and on and on...

(pce)

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

In a dream, yes.

Masha Masha

In response to “In a dream, yes.

Lol... nicely put (biggrin)

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

In response to “In a dream, yes.

Also in reality, yes.

minamullins22 OP

Movements that advocate equality will be relevant and necessary as long as inequality exists

Wunderscore

In response to “Movements that advocate equality will be...

True and well said.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

Nobody said that movements that advocate equality will not be relevant or unnecessary.

minamullins22 OP

In response to “Nobody said that movements that advocate...

Actually I think that's exactly what the post says

Wunderscore

Pretty sure sexism is still rampant in today's developed countries so I'm gonna have to disagree with this heavily.

Skr3wBall Skr3wBall

In response to “Pretty sure sexism is still rampant in...

First of all, sexism isn't "rampant". It isn't flourishing, and it isn't unchecked. There is court for a reason.

Also, noone said sexism was good.

minamullins22 OP

In response to “First of all, sexism isn't "rampant"...

Court doesn't handle much sexism. It's definitely rampant, I see way too much sexism in my day to day to call it anything other than rampant.

And you're right, no one said sexism was good, did something I say imply otherwise?

Skr3wBall Skr3wBall

In response to “Court doesn't handle much sexism. It's...

Court doesn't handle much sexism because thats not the only thing they deal with. What sort of sexism do you see in your day to day? We may live in different worlds.

Also, I just wanted to state that because not stating that may cause miscommunication.

minamullins22 OP

In response to “Court doesn't handle much sexism because...

People telling women to get back in the kitchen, people saying women are horrible drivers, women should dress certain ways, women can't compete in certain things. Someone literally just told me that women shouldn't be allowed in the army on this website. Women's products are often priced higher, much of women's pants don't have pockets for the sake of selling handbags, women's rights are largely decided by men in countless countries. Do you really feel that sexism is not all over?

Skr3wBall Skr3wBall

Feminism is ... I don't even know a word for it. We can't find two people who agree on what it means or who is to be blamed, but still we have bazillions of protesters demanding that somebody be punished for it.

I have no information on what people are doing in other countries. The pageant in this country is distracting enough.

that_guy that_guy

Nope. Rape still happens, misogyny happens, wage disparity happens. You need to understand reality before you try to dismiss osmething that's there to improve life. Feminism is actually for the benefit of all humanity. It's not "anti-men"...it's anti misogyny, anti-rape, and anti toxic masculinity.

Trish Trish

In response to “Nope. Rape still happens, misogyny happens...

Okay? For men; rape still happens, misandry happens, wage disparity happens. All those rape stats come from college campuses anyways.

Anyways why is it "anti misogyny, anti-rape, and anti toxic masculinity," And not also anti-misandry, and anti-toxic femininity?

minamullins22 OP

In response to “Okay? For men; rape still happens, misandry...

lol "toxic femininity"? That's not a thing. Furthermore no,those stats aren't all college campuses. And wage disparity is in me's favor so ...logic please. Misandry doesn't kill. Just educate yourself to reality, if you can.

Trish Trish

In response to “lol "toxic femininity"? That's not a...

When I said toxic femininity, I meant the female equivalent, and not the literal definition. The stats that aren't from college campuses don't matter because there is court for a reason. Wage disparity is not in men's favor. Stating the fact twice is doing nothing. The "wage gap" is just the average earnings of men and women, and doesn't account for anything else. If "misandry doesn't kill" is seriously one of your arguments then the wage gap, which doesn't exist, doesn't kill either?

minamullins22 OP