Food and Drug Administration regulations make it a federal crime for dairy farmers to call all-natural skim milk exactly what it is—skim milk. Instead, the FDA demands that farmers label additive-free skim milk as “imitation milk product,” because, in the FDA’s mind, skim milk just isn’t the real thing. ... If Randy and Karen Sowers want to use the term “skim milk” exactly as it is defined in common dictionaries such as Merriam-Webster, then under current federal law, they may end up paying a price: up to one year in prison and up to $1,000 in fines, or both, <em>per violation</em>.  Crime or harassment?

PhilboydStudgePiper2TiffaneeBudwickWill_JanitorPartyOfOneSukiesnowCarlaRoosterSynysterGates
Food and Drug Administration regulations make it a federal crime for dairy farmers to call all-natural skim milk exactly what it is—skim milk. Instead, the FDA demands that farmers label additive-free skim milk as “imitation milk product,” because, in the FDA’s mind, skim milk just isn’t the real thing. ... If Randy and Karen Sowers want to use the term “skim milk” exactly as it is defined in common dictionaries such as Merriam-Webster, then under current federal law, they may end up paying a price: up to one year in prison and up to $1,000 in fines, or both, per violation. Crime or harassment?

Explained by Bozette...

They are fighting this in court. Florida's Department of Agriculture already lost a similar case. Such idiotic regulations are not only a waste of government resources, but are harassment of small farmers, IMO. This isn't the first go-round this couple has had with the government either.

This is totally lame and a total waste of time and money. Skim milk has been around as long as I can remember. Sounds to me like the FDA doesn't know it's **** from a hole in the ground. What a waste of time and money! Can't they leave anything alone nowadays?

Rooster Rooster

This is very disappointing. I didn't think this administration would 'kowtow' to such harassment of business and the public. Total BS.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “This is very disappointing. I didn't think...

To be fair, Bud, this is just SOP of government on autopilot...regardless of who is in office. Sure, Trump is reining in regulations, but the sheer number and scope of them is overwhelming.

Bozette Bozette OP

In response to “To be fair, Bud, this is just SOP of...

Thanks, I sure hope they get a strangle hold on the FDA for doing this though.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Thanks, I sure hope they get a strangle hold...

So do I. I've followed the harassment of small farms, organics, and co-ops for years. It needs to stop.

Bozette Bozette OP

Right bud. Sounds like another way for government to get money out of people . I don't know who but if they need a whole new department for milk inspection - someone is getting paid - by taxpayers .

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

In response to “Right bud. Sounds like another way for...

Yes, money and control.

Budwick Budwick

Rooster Rooster

In response to “This is totally lame and a total waste of...

Nope. Gotta justify their budget and kow-tow to the factory farm conglomerates.

Bozette Bozette OP

Just as alternative medicine threatens big pharma, alternate energy threatens big oil.... organic, non gmo, wholesome meat, dairy and produce is a threat to big farm.

Carla Carla

In response to “Just as alternative medicine threatens big...

Yeppers. Been watching it for several years now. Look what the DNR did to the pig farmers up north!

Bozette Bozette OP

In response to “Yeppers. Been watching it for several years...

Large pig "factories" are far more of an environmental issue than any small free range or alternative pig farmer could ever be. I get that wild pigs are issues in southern states. But the pigs up here were not wild pigs.

Carla Carla

In response to “Large pig "factories" are far more of...

Agreed. I was sick when I found out about that. SMH

Bozette Bozette OP

Pigs are stinky, there was a pig farm in the area we needed to cross for going some places, that farmer never yelled at us for driving our dirtbikes thru his pigs. When I think back on it, Wow were we ever lucky to have stayed upright cause pigs will eat you up if you are on the ground. That farm and all the dairy farms are now gone due to a mall being built over all the farms. Hopefully our lovely pastures will return soon because the mall is almost empty and will go out of business soon. (allthethings)

Well now, that doesn't even make any sense. Seems like an alternative label the Sowers have proposed should take care of any problem the FDA has with them not adding not synthetic vitamins to the skim milk: “Pure pasteurized skim milk, no vitamins added or replaced, the only ingredient is skim milk.”

I must be missing something, because I don't see anything in the FDA code that justifies the Sowers having to call their cow's milk "imitation".
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/...cfm?fr=131.110

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “Well now, that doesn't even make any sense...

Per the court complaint the FDA requires the "imitation" label if the end product is nutritionally inferior. Since vitamins A and D are fat soluble, the skim milk becomes nutritionally deficient once the cream is skimmed. The regulations allow for the addition of vitamins, but not the removal...therefore it must be labeled "imitation".

Bozette Bozette OP

In response to “Per the court complaint the FDA requires the...

I get that part about the added synthetic vitamins, but not the FDA's dictate that skimmed milk without them must be labeled "imitation". That there is just nonsensical to me. It will be interesting to see if the Sowers win this battle by changing their labeling, without having to use "imitation" on it.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “I //get// that part about the added...

According to the document, if the skim milk doesn't have the nutrients...the FDA doesn't consider it "real" milk. Hopefully, the precedent from the Florida case will hold true here.

Bozette Bozette OP

In response to “According to the document, if the skim milk...

I did read through the document, and even searched further for FDA regulations specific to skimmed milk. As I mentioned, I must or could be missing something...it says right there on "(b)": Vitamin addition (Optional).

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “I did read through the document, and even...

Yup. You don't have to add it, but if you don't, it's "imitation". You won't find it spelled out in plain English, it's one of those legal loopholes that I imagine inspired the book Three Felonies a Day.

Bozette Bozette OP

In response to “http://d7.freedomworks.org.s3.amazonaws.com/fie...

That sums it up pretty well!

Bozette Bozette OP

This sounds like a "barrier to entry", and my guess it was construed by corruption.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “This sounds like a "barrier to...

Could be, but that is the direct opposite of what the federal role is supposed to be. Undoubtedly.

Bozette Bozette OP

Every four years the nation goes to the polls to elect ... somebody. No matter how you vote, the government wins. There is no way to control the government.

that_guy that_guy

Bozette Than you for posting this. I often do product demonstrations sometimes it is a milk beverage and nobody ever explained why since it was 100 real milk. Now Ican tell customers what it is and why

This is despicable but it shows how this is anything but a free country.
Corporatocracy rules over us all and as long as we maintain a system that creates such disparity we are all free range slaves.

urwutuis urwutuis

Harassment

SageSam

I agree with the FDA that skim milk isn't the real thing... But it s/b called: __% Fat Reduced Milk...if they really have to change it.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “I agree with the FDA that skim milk isn't the...

If Skim milk isn't really milk, Sukie, what precisely is it?

Bozette Bozette OP

Another nonsense reason to take money from people, same as the EU not accepting straight bananas.

Creamcrackered Creamcrackered