What early WW2 battle was heavily studied by Yamamoto that led to his tactics at Pearl Harbor?

PhilboydStudgeTiffaneeBozetteOzSurferAdaWill_JanitorSynysterGatesChuck_Tom

Explained by Rooster...

He virtually used the same plan with about the same results of an earlier air sea battle.

I'd like to appear intelligent enough to offer a synopsis of the facts, but that would be beyond my scope. In it's stead, I found this to be a very interesting analysis: http://www.thehistoryreader.com...-pearl-harbor/

In the end, what I came away with, with a few exceptions was that this sneak attack was of his own design with very little comparative influence. Hard to square his launching this when he mutters in his post event, "I fear we have awoken a sleeping giant....."
There were a host of factors. I read an indepth book a few years back about pre-war Japan, and talk about a clash of the young and the old philosophies! A young, impetuous Japanese Army involved itself in a host of assassinations and an adherence to the Bushido code. There were many quiet coups that were happening within it's country. If I can dig out the book, I'll pass it along if you're interested. I'll warn you in advance.....it's like eating a can of condensed soup without the water, but you won't be able to put it down either.

Freeranger Freeranger

Freeranger Freeranger

In response to “I'd like to appear intelligent enough to...

After the Taranto attack, Yamamoto wrote to a fellow admiral and friend stating that he had decided to launch the Pearl Harbor attack in December 1940.

Rooster Rooster OP

A wild guess....Midway?

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “A wild guess....Midway?

Nope.

Rooster Rooster OP

In response to “Nope.

That was the only island that came to mind, other than Guam.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

i don't know Rooster, you'll need to tell us.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “http://data.amirite.net/user_images/5ade5d599da...

That explains it very well. I didn't know that ...

SynysterGates SynysterGates

The Brits caught the Italians napping and did heavy damage.
The attack established beyond doubt the potential of aerial launched torpedoes, even in relatively shallow harbour waters. It was closely studied by other navies around the world, not least in Japan. Pearl Harbour was just over a year away.

Rooster Rooster OP

In response to “After the Taranto attack, Yamamoto wrote to a...

WOW!!! That would of been a good time to have a spy inside the Japanese force.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In their wake, the 21 Swordfish left Conte di Cavour sunk and the battleships Littorio and Caio Duilio heavily damaged. The latter had been intentionally grounded to prevent its sinking. They also badly damaged a heavy cruiser. British losses were two Swordfish flown by Williamson and Lieutenant Gerald W.L.A. Bayly. While Williamson and his observer Lieutenant N.J. Scarlett were captured, Bayly and his observer, Lieutenant H.J. Slaughter were killed in action. In one night, the Royal Navy succeeded in halving the Italian battleship fleet and gained a tremendous advantage in the Mediterranean. As a result of the strike, the Italians withdrew the bulk of their fleet farther north to Naples.

Rooster Rooster OP

Does it go back to Japan invading Manchuria?

Flrdsgns Flrdsgns

No, not at all.

Rooster Rooster OP