I was brought up to be hard working, fair, honest and tell the truth, and I have. So, along the way, where did I miss the boat?
  • Topics:Fun / Jokes
  • Featured on the home page on Apr 28th 2018
  • Post Of The Day on Apr 27th 2018

Lil_Princessdoctorwho1011Piper2BudwickozzyboySukiesnowRooster_Howler_Cleburne

Explained by Him...

"Work hard, tell the truth, cherish your wife, mind your manners, and you will be fine". SORRY MOM, IT HASN'T WORKED!! LOL!! Somewhere along the line, lying, cheating, back stabbing, and stealing became life's accepted protocol. When?------ Mom & dad's way of life is outdated. That's the meaning of this post.

Him, you haven't missed the boat my friend. In fact, you are the Captain of your own mighty vessel!

Your mother taught you well. All those things she told you are true.

All the lying, cheating, back stabbing, and stealing that became life's accepted protocol as you suggest has been going on forever - even when your Mom was teaching you a better way to live. That's WHY she made a point of teaching you those important lessons. She wanted you to be better, stronger, happier. [A wise woman!]

The lying, cheating, back stabbing, and stealing has never been accepted - at least not by anyone worth listening to.

I'm not sure what you mean by - "SORRY MOM, IT HASN'T WORKED!! LOL!!" Mom said that if you follow her guidance that YOU would be fine - not everyone else. They all have to look after themselves.

Budwick Budwick

Then there is something you might not be honest about. There are questions you need to ask yourself.

Your expectations are too high? Unreasonable? Is this your own reality...or just on a bad day? Are you a half-glass type? Etc.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “Then there is something you might not be...

The question was "when?". Can you answer the question?

Him Him OP

In response to “The question was "when?". Can you...

I am telling you where, along the way...you may have missed the boat.

When? Probably as you became more aware of what was going on....but really the more interesting "when" you can ask yourself might be: when did my view of reality begin to change?

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Him, you haven't missed the boat my friend...

What I mean by "SORRY MOM, IT HASN'T WORKED!!"...is that many who lie, cheat, back stab, and steal seem to have everything that I should have (according to my mom & dad).
Mom & dad's way of life is outdated. That's the meaning of this post.

Him Him OP

In response to “What I mean by "SORRY MOM, IT HASN'T...

Then I think you misunderstood what Mom and Dad told.
Their advice is NOT outdated and never will be.

Sounds like you are envious of what other people have. And, you assume that they must have gotten it illicitly.

There's little doubt that there are bad people with lots of stuff. They're still bad people.

Things you should have? That's interesting. And why should you have these things?

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Then I think you misunderstood what Mom and...

Yeah, I assume Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, and their ilk, those twin paragons of virtue,(for example) got where they are illicitly.

How silly of me.

Him Him OP

In response to “Yeah, I //assume// Donald Trump and Hillary...

WHOA! This took an quick, ugly turn!
Again, I think you misunderstood what Mom and Dad were telling you. Or, did they say that if you worked hard, was fair and honest honest and tell the truth that you would gain the fame and wealth of the Trumps and or Clinton's? [I doubt that.]

Budwick Budwick

In response to “WHOA! This took an quick, ugly turn! Again, I...

No, the Trumps and Clinton's weren't even around then.
You like to take "examples" quite literally, don't you?

I'll remember that. (wt)

Him Him OP

In response to “No, the Trumps and Clinton's weren't even...

They were YOUR examples.

Here, I'll clean it up - see if it makes a difference.
"if you worked hard, was fair and honest honest and tell the truth that you would gain the fame and wealth of the Rich and Famous Person A and or Rich and famous person B [I doubt that.]"

No, pretty much says the same thing.

HIM - you parents didn't tell you that stuff to ensure a wealthy future. Even you said in your post 'that you would be fine'. If you understood that to mean rich, famous and powerful - that's on you!

And, I think you may be discounting the real wisdom behind your parents advice.

You don't want to be a lying, cheating scumbag do you? Even if doing so made you wealthy? If so, then I feel sorry for you and those close to you that you would sell out.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “They were YOUR examples. Here, I'll clean it...

No, I think I want to be that lying, cheating scumbag for a while and you may feel sorry all you want.
The Big Valley :
As Vern Hickson said to Victoria Barkley upon Victoria saying she feels sorry for him after paying Hickson $6000 to NOT kill her son :
"For $6000 dollars, Mrs. Barkley, you feel what you like."
Damn right!

Him Him OP

Why should I? Because my parents told me I would, IF I did this,, that , and the other thing, which I did.
I didn't mean I "deserve" anything. Just going by what THEY implied 50 years ago.

Him Him OP

In response to “Why //should// I? Because my parents told me...

Him, you put a lot more into, "and you will be fine" than I believe was intended.

If you haven't gotten out of life what you want, I don't think blaming a virtuous life for your failure is where you start to change things.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Him, you put a lot more into, "and you...

I think you need to look at the "topics" part of this post (no).
Wow.

Him Him OP

In response to “I think you need to look at the...

If it's a joke, I think you might have said something sooner.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “If it's a joke, I think you might have said...

Not necessarily a joke. Just a humorous observation to many.

Him Him OP

It was the FIRST thing I chose when creating the post!!! Topic: Fun & Jokes! (no)

Him Him OP

In response to “It was the **FIRST** thing I chose when...

I wish I would have noticed it - could have saved a lot of unnecessary conversation.

I was surprised frankly - you and I have been on the same channel on so many things.

I want to walk away from this Him - I want to assume that I took it all the wrong way and start over.

Have a great weekend.

Budwick Budwick

"Failure"? Where did you read that?

...since you are being so literal...

Him Him OP

In response to “"Failure"? Where did you read...

SORRY MOM, IT HASN'T WORKED!! LOL!!

But it's all a joke. All the lying, cheating, and backstabbing, the dark crappy side of humanity - OMG, I can hardly stop laughing!

OK - I took this post seriously, failed to read the fine print. Sorry to get all preachy. Feel free to delete my comments or ask a moderator to.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “SORRY MOM, IT HASN'T WORKED!! LOL!! But it's...

No....it's OK. If I hadn't posted it, I might have said the same things you did.
Many in today's society feel the same as the post suggests.

Him Him OP

There's no "when". If you read any history, you'd know that people have been lying, cheating, and backstabbing for all of time. It's the dark side of humanity, but it's always been there. I've been interested in Renaissance history lately, and the amount of corruption and nastiness that existed during a time that otherwise produced some amazing artwork and religious reform was astounding. And some of the people who achieved the most were the worst offenders (even if they also did work hard).

One can only hope to avoid falling into what is, in many ways, our natural corrupt way, but many of us will. We can at least TRY to be better.

Logan Logan

In response to “There's no "when". If you read any...

"Mom & dad's" way of life is outdated. That's the meaning of this post.

Him Him OP

In response to “"Mom & dad's" way of life is...

I don't believe it's outdated because that assumes it had a date, but it never did. There are always people who try to live righteously. But the fact is that even our parents make mistakes, no matter how righteously they may have lived. But it's the duty of parents to set the best example they can.

Logan Logan

In response to “I don't believe it's outdated because that...

Today's American politicians (just one of many examples) are as dirty, corrupt, and immoral as it gets, yet they are rich, have beautiful spouses, and are revered by their constituents. An exaggerated example, I know, just to illustrate.
Do you think that Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton were paragons of virtue?

Him Him OP

In response to “Today's American politicians (just one of...

No, they aren't. It's often the case that people who are not virtuous are able to succeed and gain power. It's unfortunate, but that's how politicians often are. They manipulate an already-flawed system to their advantage. But since we elect them, it's our responsibility to start running and nominating some better people. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I like to think we're better than this.

Logan Logan

So, I'm curious, what advice will you be offering your children?

Budwick Budwick

In response to “So, I'm curious, what advice will you be...

To learn the difference between what's legal and what's moral, and use it to your advantage.

Him Him OP

In response to “To learn the difference between what's legal...

Outstanding! And who do you suppose should teach YOUR child what is moral?

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Outstanding! And who do you suppose should...

How about YOU? You seem sanctimoniously qualified.

Him Him OP

In response to “How about **YOU**? You seem sanctimoniously...

Thank you! But I'm not particularly pious. It may be that I appear that way next to one promoting lying, cheating, back stabbing, and stealing.

I taught my children much the same way your parents taught you. "Work hard, tell the truth, cherish your wife, mind your manners, and you will be fine".

Just me talking, but I wouldn't dare leave teaching moral lessons to anyone but their mother and myself. [

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Thank you! But I'm not particularly pious...

I didn't say "pious". Slight difference. Pious is a trifle worse than sanctimonious.

Him Him OP

In response to “I didn't say "pious". Slight...

I'm beginning to see how you missed the point your mother tried to make with you.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I'm beginning to see how you missed the point...

LOL!!!! I didn't miss anything. (pce)

Him Him OP

I still haven't found out when lying, cheating, back stabbing, and stealing became acceptable to society as long as someone is successful at it.

Does money and power mean that much, to get a free pass?

Him Him OP

I wondered why this question was in the Fun/Jokes section. I don't think lying, cheating, etc is funny no matter how rich it makes you.
You still have to look at your face in the morning and I can't imagine feeling good if you are rich at the expense of others. I do believe in karma and when bad things happen you have to ask yourself if you brought it on yourself.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

In response to “I wondered why this question was in the...

Are you rich and powerful? (wink)

Him Him OP

In response to “Are you rich and powerful? (wink)

No and I don't have any aspirations to be so, especially on anyone else's back.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

In response to “No and I don't have any aspirations to be so...

Exactly. You do things the "right" way, and you are not rich and powerful.
Doesn't it bother you that those who commit fraud against the welfare and disability systems have as much or more than you do? (figuratively speaking)

Him Him OP

In response to “Exactly. You do things the "right"...

Sure it bothers me that our politicians take from us and give away all our hard earned money but I would not want their lives.
Like I said, I can look at myself in the mirror every day and not cringe.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

I was brought up that way too, and so have I. Neither of my parents ever said I would be "fine" though, for having integrity or cherishing my spouse.

As others have mentioned, there have always segments of society that have accepted, admired and rewarded those who lack what many consider admirable ethics. Even now, I do not think lying, cheating, back stabbing, and stealing have become "accepted protocol" for more people than not.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “I was brought up that way too, and so have...

I'll ask you the same as Ozzyboy...are you rich and powerful?

Neither am I, but the Trump's, Clintons, Weinsteins, Kennedys, and the Cosby's of the world are. Makes me wonder.

Him Him OP

In response to “I'll ask you the same as Ozzyboy...are you...

No, but I never aspired to be "rich and powerful".

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “No, but I never aspired to be "rich and...

How convenient.

As Ozzy & Logan said, I can look myself in the mirror, even if the mirror is second hand and cracked.

Him Him OP

In response to “How convenient. As Ozzy & Logan said, I...

Convenient? Not really.

Piper2 Piper2

The whole promise of hard work is a lie in 99.999% of all cases.

DW2 DW2

In response to “The whole promise of hard work is a lie in...

Today, you pay them to be hired, and if you want them to do anything, they want more.

Him Him OP

Life is not fair. It never has been.

xather xather

If I have to lie, cheat, backstab, and steal to be someone...I think I will pass. My mama taught me the same things. I might not have the fancy house or sports car and a six-figure income but I am damn happy with who I am.

Lie: Sorry I tell the truth even if it pisses someone off.

Cheat: I don't cheat (unless ya count on my diet).

Backstab: oh hell no, I know how that feels and guess what ain't nobody got anything that I am jealous of. Hell I had some twit who was a bucket full of crazy that was so jealous of me that she tried to run me off because she was desperate for attention.

steal: nope...daddy taught me if I don't have it and I can't pay for it then I didn't need it.

🦋

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

George Carlin explains it better than I could...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tetndXjHG1U

Creamcrackered Creamcrackered

In response to “George Carlin explains it better than I...

Yep. YAY!! Somebody gets the meaning of this post. Congratulations!!

Him Him OP