What's a book you were made to read in school that you actually liked?

PhilboydStudgePiper2GypsyAdaprimeiroCarlaRoosterSynysterGatesglad_hands

A Tale of Two Cities. It was long and I didn't really understand it all then but later on in life? I read it again and realized what a great book it is.

Rooster Rooster

I was never required to read any particular book. I read books and have always done that.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

Probably Lord of the Flies

Flrdsgns Flrdsgns

When I was a kid the teachers pestered us to read books. They didn't start until I was in sixth grade, and it didn't occur to anybody to suggest books or provide books that might be appropriate for us.

It was not until seventh grade that it occurred to one of them that she could drive to the big library in town and get books for us. But she couldn't understand what I wanted when I asked for "Hardy Boys". (One of the most famous series written for young boys.)

I often think they didn't care if we read books, they only wanted a stack of book reports to make them look like good teachers and they just couldn't figure out why the little lumps wouldn't write reports for them.

BTW the principal was jailed for embezzlement shortly after I graduated from that place.

that_guy that_guy

In high school I was impressed by the short story compilations more than any one book

glad_hands glad_hands

In eighth grade we read...go ask alice. I think it was for cautionary purposes. But i enjoyed it at the time.
I really cant remember what else was curriculum or what i just was reading.

Carla Carla

In response to “In eighth grade we read...go ask alice. I...

Alice, eh? (hehe)
Where have I heard that name before?

glad_hands glad_hands

In response to “Alice, eh? (hehe) Where have I heard that...

Imagine that:)

I also had a cat named casey jones...

Carla Carla

Rooster Rooster

I can't remember a single book I had to read in school that I enjoyed, but I did like several short stories.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

I wasn't required to read any books. We had a choice of what to read, and then give a report on it. lol

StarzAbove StarzAbove

Favorite childhood book? Mmm... I'd have to think about it.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

in Flanders Fields & To Kill a Mockingbird.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

1984 by George Orwell and Les Misérables by Victor Hugo.

JanHaskell JanHaskell

"O Alienista" by Machado de Assis.

It was a comical story around a psychiatrist and the definition of crazy. Super cool.

primeiro primeiro

When I was a kid, Homer had just completed the Iliad. A while later a sequel - The Odyssey came out and was all the rage. He came to speak to our class one day. I couldn't go - I had the mumps.

Budwick Budwick

The first one I can think of just now, is Kipling's The Jungle Book, when I was was in the 6th grade. It was strongly suggested that we read it over some school holiday. As I recall, I was the only one who actually did, and I won a copy of the book.
That really bugged one of my classmates, me being the "new kid", and all. We became best friends, not long after that. :)

Piper2 Piper2

Childhood's End

DWF DWF

The Good Earth is my all time favorite but I don't think anyone ever had to "make" me read a book.
A friend of mine asked me to read a book, The Sheep Look Down, not one that I would ever pick up, but it stayed with me these many years later.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

To Kill A Mockingbird

Gypsy Gypsy

A Tale Of Two Cities was great. Hatchet and and Where The Red Fern Grows, too.

Trish Trish