Why is it that a couple of people always drive off new members by insinuating that they are trolls or socks?

Lil_PrincessPiper2BozettesymplycuriousAdaWill_JanitorRoosterSynysterGatesCreamcrackeredjobbynsChuck_Tom

Explained by Rooster...

Do they think they are detectives or something. Been seeing this a lot lately. Geez, give them a chance!

Good question. The real answer would be censored and likely result in a ban.

Bozette Bozette

Who got driven off?

Linnster Linnster

In response to “Who got driven off?

My niece and nephew come to mind.

Rooster Rooster OP

In response to “My niece and nephew come to mind.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that, but if the powers that be actually made sure that everyone only had ONE account, that might not happen.

Linnster Linnster

Fear and paranoia. They are bigots who fear new people and new ideas. They are also control freaks.

jobbyns jobbyns

In response to “Fear and paranoia. They are bigots who fear...

You can't control when you have no army and no ammo.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “http://data.amirite.net/user_images/5b00424fe16...

Pretty much ... and don't stop firing. (hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “(hehe)(hehe)

Not a big fan of Bon Jovi but it sounds like a certain song to me (hehe)

symplycurious symplycurious

In response to “Dead or Alive? (hehe)

(hehe)
Music is good for the soul

symplycurious symplycurious

Unless they're part of their clique (which has shrunken down to less than 5) you're a sock.

Remember if they play with fire, they are going to get burnt.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “Unless they're part of their clique (which...

"Unless they're part of their clique coven (which has shrunken down to less than 5) you're a sock."

There...fixed that for ya. (biggrin)

Bozette Bozette

In response to “//"Unless they're part of their...

There ya go, damn English teacher always correcting me. I make them up and you correct them. (hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates

Makes me laugh when their whiny posts garner 30 comments from 2 or 3 members. They should just make phone calls. (hehe)

Him Him

In response to “Makes me laugh when their whiny posts garner...

Agree! That way they get more upvotes! Big deal!

Rooster Rooster OP

In response to “Agree! That way they get more upvotes! Big deal!

It's their life. It's all they have.

Him Him

In response to “It's their life. It's all they have.

I reckon so!

Rooster Rooster OP

I think the clique is down to four, with a few fence sitters who follow them and upvote because they are afraid not to. Of the four, three can't stand the other one but they have no where else to go. They know what she is (hehe)

Him Him

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Good question. The real answer would be...

At this point? I really don't give a shit!

Rooster Rooster OP

I agree, I have to hold back and not say anything or else I'll get suspended. Ya know, SynysterGates has never been banned. (hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “I agree, I have to hold back and not say...

SynysterGates has never been banned...yet. (shh)

Bozette Bozette

Omg!!! You sit back and not say anything (maniac)(hehe)

symplycurious symplycurious

In response to “(hehe) Yes ma'am (wink)

I’m still laughing 😂

symplycurious symplycurious

I see no reason for a newbie - especially someone young - to stick around, yup.

Chuck_Tom

In response to “Why?

If I were pestered and accused for being something I was not then I'd vamoose the hell outta here. I agree with your post, R. There are plenty of other sites out there...

Chuck_Tom

In response to “If I were pestered and accused for being...

Point taken!

Rooster Rooster OP

After being set upon by certain cliques ages ago on Soda Head, I found that the constant verbal gymnastics helped hone, what has become a very good parry. Almost without realizing it, all the "reparte" became beneficial. I don't worry about those type of people, and like any bully(s), I found that once you punch 'em in the mouth they have a tendency to leave you alone.

Freeranger Freeranger

Insecure.

Him Him

It's a 50-50 chance, tho I've never really thought about it, I only lash out against clear spammers that post things a few words short of blatant advertising.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Ha ha...if anyone disagrees...right away they are just trolls anyway...time that stopped...

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “Ha ha...if anyone disagrees...right away they...

If someone disagrees just like that with no context or explanation that's class A butthole move, some context is always good.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Some people like to have control it’s kind like a power trip for them, being mean and nasty goes right along with it... being as it may I’m not afraid of anyone I say it like it is and I don’t take ****, it’s happened to me on here and as you can see i’m still here, Fukin eh! Bring it on and give me your best!

When women act like this it doesn’t wear pretty on them, they know who they are...that ole saying sugar and spice and everything is nice, that’s a bunch of bullshyt

symplycurious symplycurious

In response to “Some people like to have control it’s...

Oh yeah, it's a power trip all right!

Rooster Rooster OP

In response to “Oh yeah, it's a power trip all right!

My question is why the fuk does it keep going on for..who needs a pair of balls to do the job is what I want to know.... the eyes are watching

symplycurious symplycurious

In response to “(clap)(clap)(clap)

In my best Elvis voice..Thank you! Thank you very much!

symplycurious symplycurious

In response to “https://media.giphy.com/media/l41m0vdJHMZyhiRDW...

U got that Fukin right and don’t u forget it either..(hehe)

symplycurious symplycurious

In response to “U got that Fukin right and don’t u...

Oh I know where I stand on that topic. (hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “Oh I know where I stand on that topic. (hehe)

Only if others would learned that lesson

symplycurious symplycurious

When a new account is created and they instantly start down-voting the comments of a specific user, it's pretty obvious that it's a sock account. A truly new user wouldn't immediately be familiar with the drama of this site. And yet "suspiciously" many of the new users are. There are very few new users here; it's the same people rehashing the same drama over and over with multiple accounts.

I said this same thing on StarzAbove's post, but since she's blocked most of you and vice versa, you probably didn't see it.

On this other forum I once had three accounts--one person discovered it was me because he noticed the writing style was similar (the frequent use of semicolons, beginning many sentences and "And" and "But"). I wasn't very good at hiding from the detectives, apparently.

Logan Logan

Oh, I wish I knew that too. Just cause someone is new doesn't mean they are a troll or a sock and they have the right to be here just like anyone else. If someone is that paranoid over a new person then its time to leave the online world and take up a hobby like knitting or gardening (ono)

I am very sorry to read about your niece and nephew getting ran off. I know I personally wouldn't take to kindly to that.

🦋

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

In response to “Oh, I wish I knew that too. Just cause...

Exactly, When I met you on SH I knew you were a sock account, but I liked the cowboy boots and long hair you had in the avatar you used. So I decided to become friends with you. (hehe)(hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “Exactly, When I met you on SH I knew you were...

Damn, ya figured me out probably because I was too intoxicated when I came to SH to pull it off.

Yea the boots usually symbolized friendship or fear...well fear that I would let my temper go and kick someones butt (hehe)(hehe)

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

In response to “Damn, ya figured me out probably because I...

(hehe)(hehe) Thank God i took it as friendship. (biggrin)

SynysterGates SynysterGates

Because they don't like what they have to say, usually, although they certainly don't always succeed in driving new members off. It's far from a new thing here, and it's been a lot worse in the past. This is one of my rare posts concerning the actual site, from back in Feb. 2016:
http://www.amirite.com/789131-s...cused-of-being
"Strange Things Are Going On Here On This Site. People Are Being Accused Of Being "Socks", When A Certain Favored Clique Dislikes Them. Whole Conversations, Posts, And People Are Just Disappearing! Has Anyone Else Noticed That?"
(You won't be able to see it, since it was "muted".)

Then there are those who might insinuate that someone is a "sock", because they know they are, indeed, a "sock". Me, I've been accused many times of being a "sock lover". (biggrin)
I rarely even insinuate, and do not report them..with the exception of blatant impostor accounts.

Piper2 Piper2

Isn't being default-deemed a sock like a rite of passage for new members on opinions sites?

I can't recall ever joining an opinions site where someone, usually someone who disagreed with me about something, *wouldn't* declare me a sock.

It only got uncomfortable after I was there for like 5 years. lol

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “Isn't being default-deemed a sock like a rite...

I bet it would at that! Good post!

Rooster Rooster OP

In response to “I bet it would at that! Good post!

I've only been on a couple sites like these, under 10, and it's happened on all of them. Some more than others, but it still happened. I just figured that was part of the experience.

Sorry that happened to your family.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

Sorry most of this has gone over my head, maybe it's because I'm in my forties, I like socks they keep my feet warm.
Sorry to hear that about your family members Rooster, unfortunately these sites can get clicky and it's a shame as to what has happened because new people bring something fresh.

Creamcrackered Creamcrackered

It is a conundrum. Being that we are all anonymous, who is to say someone else is a sock or troll. Some of the accused seem to give up pretty quickly. Personally I think they should just block the people giving them shit and enjoy the site.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Well it certainly shouldn't be all ways... but that might just be their way of checking out new people. Then again, it's sometimes just people defensive mechanisms... which I've been attacked online for agreeing with the person at times, just because the person didn't stop long enough to read and understand what had been written.

But on the same hand, a few are clearly trolling as well, as every single post is about half-truths of a controversy issue trying to get people to react strong in some direction.

Zolfie Zolfie