Putting together a summer reading list for my preteen son... Any 'rite of passage' suggestions?  List your must-reads, please.
  • Topics:Books
  • Featured on the home page on May 25th 2018
  • Post Of The Day on May 27th 2018

doctorwho1011Piper2primeiroRoosterChuck_Tom
Putting together a summer reading list for my preteen son... Any 'rite of passage' suggestions? List your must-reads, please.

Explained by ForkNdaRoad...

He's a fairly strong reader, so preferably something challenging. We're out of "good fits" at the school library. I've suggested Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, as a point of reference. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

Have spacesuit will travel. An oldie but goodie from Robert Heinlein.

Harry potter book one is pretty innocent.

VicZinc VicZinc

https://www.goodreads.com/book/...g_a_Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a great rite of passage book.

astral_queen astral_queen

In response to “https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22628.The_P...

Is that the original story, or is it based on the movie? Do you happen to know?

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

In response to “Is that the original story, or is it based on...

the book is the original story on which the movie was based :)

astral_queen astral_queen

In response to “Thank you!

my pleasure!!

astral_queen astral_queen

Tropic of Cancer, of course. But he must "discover " it because it's your copy that you "accidentally" left out in the open.

Chuck_Tom

In response to “Tropic of Cancer, of course. But he must...

lmao, You're incorrigible... Thank you :)

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

Try the actual book of "Star Wars". Much better than the movie.

Rembio Rembio

In response to “Try the actual book of "Star Wars"...

Good call, thank you!

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “//Have spacesuit will travel.// An oldie but...

I love Heinlein, that's a great suggestion!

He's read all the Harry Potter books, he'd read them all again if I allowed it :)

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

In response to “I love Heinlein, that's a great...

I really liked Podkayne of Mars and Citizen of the Galaxy at that age too.

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “I really liked// Podkayne of Mars// and...

I know he'd enjoy Citizen of the Galaxy, both really.

Hey thanks Vic, those are perfect!

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

Two books the kids that age at the school reading program where I work perpetually like are:

-Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick
-Harris and Me by Gary Paulsen

Paulsen has written a bunch of books for kids, though I've only been in the class that read Harris and Me and Freak the Mighty.
Harris and Me is so, so good..and quite hilarious. "Freak" is equal parts funny and poignant.

Freeranger Freeranger

In response to “Two books the kids that age at the school...

I'm a huge Paulsen fan! I introduced him to Hatchet in the 4th grade and he returned to the library, checked out: Bryan's Winter, Bryan's Hunt, The River and Bryan Returns; and devoured them.

Those are exactly his style book. Thanks FR, I appreciate that!

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

Are you looking at paper only or eBooks as well? If you like eBooks, there are 57,000, including all the classics, free, on gutenberg.org. All you have to do is pick a genre and download all you want. (Yes, it's all legal and legit. All the books are in the public domain.)

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “Are you looking at paper only or eBooks as...

He has audible and other apps on his tablet. I'm open to everything but audio books, he needs to do the actual reading.Also, I think he would read it more often in book form because he can take that with him places he isn't allowed to carry devices.

Example: Summer camp is strictly device-free.

Thanks for the great suggestions :)

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

In response to “He has audible and other apps on his tablet...

Talk to the local library. Yes librarians still can guide you to books. Then you can borrow it.. just remember if the book gets trashed you will have to pay for it.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

In response to “Talk to the local library. Yes librarians...

Yeah, we love our local library. They know us well.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

In response to “Yeah, we love our local library. They know us...

ForkRoad Good I can't believe the real library hasn't got books for your son. Maybe sit down with the research librarian for good ideas. I know a buddy of mine started reading a series and kept at it all his life. Get into a good series and you always know what they want for xmas or other gifts. We were hooked on vampire chronicles, but that is silly for your son I hope you find a series that can keep his interest forever. , Good Luck to you both.

In response to “ForkRoad Good I can't believe the real...

His school library is a bit limited. Our local library is far superior. He's run out of "good fit" options at his school library.

I prefer to go to the local library with an idea of what I want otherwise, we'll just wander all day. I'm okay with that, lol, but I can't really afford to lately. :)

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

In response to “His school library is a bit limited. Our...

OK fork I understand how hard it is to find a book in the library - ours always got books for you in the past now we have to go find them myself. I get lost in those stacks. Good Luck

rites of passage

that's an old term
which requires a test of sorts

give him a blanket
on a moonless night
take him to a forest
find a stump or log

"now Son, you stay there until I return in the am"

of course you will not leave the area....
he doesn't know that
he also doesn't realize you are watching him all night until the Am

it's not your Rites of passage
it's his

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

In response to “rites of passage that's an old term which...

He's a boy scout, so... Fat lot of good it will do me when I'm searching the area the next day while he's probably made his way home and is sitting on the couch laughing at the thought of me thinking I tricked him into thinking I left him in the woods.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

In response to “He's a boy scout, so... Fat lot of good it...

that Rites of Passage
was describing how the redman helped his Son through such a time
a test of one self
what you do now, will be the base
of what you will become
"understand Son"
I think so dad

I was just reading about the BSA

the headline:
Boy Scouts To Provide Condoms At Upcoming World Jamboree

The Boy Scouts will reportedly provide condoms at the upcoming World Scout Jamboree.

The World Organization of Scouting Movement handbook requires the host organization to “ensure that condoms are readily and easily accessible for all participants and [International Service Team staff] at a number of locations on the site.”

The 2019 World Scout Jamboree will be held in West Virginia from July 21 to Aug. 1. The theme is “Unlock a New World.”

News of the **** requirement comes months after the Boy Scouts announced it would allow girls to become scouts.

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

In response to “that Rites of Passage was describing how the...

There will be no coed scout events. Gonna be awful hard to get pregnant.

Course, I'm sure the states currently lying to young women about their right to acquire birth control will happily blame non-existent coed events in the scouts for their exploding teen pregnancy rates.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

In response to “There will be no coed scout events. Gonna be...

I don't do snopes
they are bad as SPLC

I was never a boy scout
had no need, raised by the fields & streams
while working
on my dad's commerical fishboat

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

In response to “I don't do snopes they are bad as SPLC I was...

Maybe check the BSA site then. Or at the very least, stop reading whichever one misinformed you and has you repeating half truths.

As a member of BSA leadership, I can tell you a few things with certainty:

Women and girls have always been allowed at cub events, but there's no camping at cub events. There are no coed camping events in boy scouts, none, zero, that is the total number of coed camping events.

Girls can earn the rank of eagle now... In an all female, girl troop that abides the same leadership guidelines as every other troop.

I'm more concerned about inappropriate adult contact with my scout than I am potentially unwanted pregnancy resulting from coed camp-outs that don't exist in boy scouts.

And as a responsible adult I can assure that:

Condoms aren't bad, they prevent the spread of disease. Although birth control is more effective at preventing unwanted pregnancy than condoms, precisely why it shouldn't be withheld from young ladies who are sexually active.

But especially not by the very people claiming abortion is an abomination. That's just twisted.

Now, if you have no books to suggest to me, perhaps I may suggest some light reading for you? Start with the Youth protection training manual all scouts and scout leadership must read before attending any scout event. Perhaps that will dispel any other misconceptions you have about the organization.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

In response to “Maybe check the BSA site then. Or at the very...

let's see if I can post the whole article for you to if it's lies or not

different website
looks to be real close to the same article

Condoms required at Scouts' 24th World Jamboree

Rules demand distribution during coming 12-day 'camping' event

Published: 3 days ago
The Boy Scouts have decided to accept people who identify as gay and lesbian among their ranks. And girls are welcome now, too, into the iconic organization, which has renamed itself Scouts BSA.

So what’s next?

A mandate that condoms be made available to “all participants” of its global gathering.

It’s among the demands of the World Scout Committee for any host country of a World Scout Jamboree.

That would include the 24th World Scout Jamboree, scheduled July 21-Aug. 1, 2019, in West Virginia.

The Scouts say: “For the first time, a world jamboree will be hosted by three national Scout organizations: Scouts Canada, Asociación de Scouts de México, and the Boy Scouts of America. These three distinct cultures will join together to host the world Scouting community in a celebration of cultural exchange, mutual understanding, peace, and friendship.”

With condoms.

Commenting on the **** policy, John Stemberger, president of the Florida Family Policy Council, wrote that “it is not clear how far down the rabbit hole the Boy Scouts will continue to fall.”

“With the addition of condoms and alcohol, the World Jamboree is starting to sound more like a 1960s Woodstock festival rather than a campout that parents would want to send their children to!”

Stemberger also serves as chairman of the board for Trail Life USA, an alternative to the Scouts that continues to abide by the Boy Scout motto: “On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the scout law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.”

Stemberger said the recent developments “should be deeply disturbing to the churches that are chartering Boy Scout Troops.”

“These policies present a clear youth protection problem that the BSA absolutely refuses to recognize. The fact that they are requiring that condoms be ‘readily accessible’ and are communicating this to everyone – including youth participants – shows that the BSA is both anticipating and facilitating sexual conduct between minors at this event. These policies are both outrageous and completely irresponsible.”

The World Scout Committee is demanding that host nations “ensure that condoms are readily and easily accessible for all participants and IST [staff] at a number of locations on the site.”

misinformed you and has you repeating half truths?

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

In response to “let's see if I can post the whole article for...

Are you unaware the WSO and BSA are two different things. Trail Life USA is a church program with no direct affiliation to scouts. Sheesh, where do you find this tripe?

The BSA isn't the one providing the condoms so how could they possibly be facilitating or anticipating anything?

Nice try at conflation. And nice of you to smear a good organization you admittedly have no knowledge or experience with.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

In response to “Are you unaware the WSO and BSA are two...

you are rite
I am wrong

all better

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

In response to “you are rite I am wrong all better

Whatever you say man...

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

He might enjoy reading this one as it's hilarious!

Rooster Rooster

In response to “He might enjoy reading this one as it's...

Nice, that's exactly the book I suggested to him!

Great minds and all that jazz :)

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

Preteen boys should be climbing trees, not reading books.

that_guy that_guy

In response to “Preteen boys should be climbing trees, not...

He'll be doing plenty of that too. I see no reason he can't do both. Especially with as hot as it gets here. He needs some down time and that can't consist of nothing but video games, you know?

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

In response to “He'll be doing plenty of that too. I see no...

As a son, I'm gonna have to completely disagree with you on that one (maniac) ... some days they can and should consist of nothing but video games! (mischief)

(hehe), but you know... maybe I'm just a little bit biased (xp)

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “As a son, I'm gonna have to completely...

Every once in a while I don't mind, but not on a daily. And definitely not often :)

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

In response to “Every once in a while I don't mind, but not...

Haha (smile) I just had to speak up and defend those once in a while video game days (smile)

Maybe he could cook for the family to take a break on those days (smile), with some help, but get his mind on something else for a little while too, at least if he wants to learn how to cook.

Zolfie Zolfie

Who says they can't do both?

Zolfie Zolfie

I'm not sure these are the best books, but two that stood out in my mind were

Slaughterhouse-Five and the The Kite Runner

Though you might want to read them both first before passing them along to your son, as Slaughterhouse-Five at times is just plain weird, and sometimes needs help explaining certain things, or exploring what different things it might mean, because it's purposely out-there both to let your mind wandered a bit but all make you think the writer is a bit nuts.

And The Kite Runner has some a lot of bad... before sort of making a U-turn at the end for a semi good feeling story at the end, sorta giving it this, out of all these horrible events, something good can happen. But by bad, if I remember correctly, it might cover a bully-raping a kid. Which at the time, I freaking hated reading... and not sure you want your son to read/know about that kind of thing yet.

I also always seem to hear Fahrenheit 451 is a good one, though I don't think I've read it myself.

I'd look into something like banned books, just to see if there is something interesting - though know why it was banned first
http://www.neatorama.com/2011/0...ed-in-the-u-s/

1. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury Fahrenheit

2. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

3. Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

4. Where's Waldo? by Martin Handford

5. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

6. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

7. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

8. Little Red Riding Hood

9. Sleeping Beauty

10. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

11. Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

12. Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “I'm not sure these are the best books, but...

Some of those he's already read. Thanks for the suggestions :)

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

In response to “Some of those he's already read. Thanks for...

You're welcome.

And I don't know about right now, but maybe in the future, maybe this book (xp)

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “You're welcome. And I don't know about...

Ha! Mom has him covered there :)

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

In response to “Ha! Mom has him covered there :)

I bet she does, I just thought it'd be a funny reminder (xp) and maybe a good book (smile)

And it's not like it's a Kama Sutra book or something (xp)

Zolfie Zolfie

Has he read lord of the flies yet?

Carla Carla

In response to “Has he read lord of the flies yet?

No, that's actually something he'd probably enjoy too. Thanks Carla :)

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

In response to “No, that's actually something he'd probably...

You are welcome. I know i enjoyed it when i was a kid:)

Carla Carla

Here are a few suggestions.

1) "The Alienist" by Machado de Assis - A book by a famous Brazilian (my country) author. It centers around a psychiatrist and the definition of crazy. The plot is pretty funny. Luckily, there is an English edition available. - https://www.amazon.com/Alienist.../dp/161219107X

Machado de Assis has some very good novels too, and I believe most (if not all) of them have English translations.

2) The Robot series by Isaac Asimov (I've only read the short stories, but I really liked them).

3) "Night on the Galactic Railroad" - by Kenji Miyazawa. - https://www.amazon.com/Galactic.../dp/1935548352 (the book in this Amazon link actually contains a collection of stories, including the one I mentioned. But I know the other stories, and they happen to be pretty nice too.)

Now, this is probably not for a preteen, but...

4) "Kokoro" (Heart) by Natsume Soseki. This is definitely not a light story, since it centers around the topic of suicide. Plus, although I really like it today, I don't think I would have enjoyed it as a preteen (because of the heavy emotional weight of the story). But people are different. So, I'm listing it here just in case. - https://www.amazon.com/Kokoro-N.../dp/1420948423

primeiro primeiro

In response to “Here are a few suggestions. 1) "The...

Wow, you really put a lot of thought into that Primeiro, thank you :)

I think we should be able to find these relatively easily.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad OP

In response to “Wow, you really put a lot of thought into...

You're very welcome, I hope you all enjoy those. :)

AHH, I just remembered another one that might be good. Don't know how I forgot it in the first place.

"Sophie's World" by Jostein Gaarder.

This was actually recommended by a Philosophy teacher in high-school (and I eventually read it after high-school). It's 50% a philosophy lesson and 50% a crazy, funny adventure, so I think it's a good mix between challenging and fun. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Sophies-.../dp/0374530718

primeiro primeiro

The Devil's Arithmetic by Jan Yolen

Vrendowl Vrendowl