LOADED QUESTIONS Entertaining or Dangerous?

Loaded questions are often devious means to advance an agenda

DWFZolfieTomboyJanetProdigalSonRoosterChuck_Tom

Loaded questions are fun to ask to make others appear stupid.

Nobody :(

Loaded questions, at their root, are dishonest.

Budwick

What are loaded questions?

Nobody :(

Loaded questions are a good way to entrap debate opponents

Nobody :(

Other

VicZincChris_PHAET_DemonQazziethat_guy

Piper2BudwickMashaProdigalSonRoosterVooDooYooChuck_Tom

Explained by Budwick...

Even our best friends can be jerks sometimes. Let's say you get a bad grade in a class and your snarky friend says: 'have you stopped cheating on tests?' Of course, you probably wouldn't say 'no,' which would imply you cheated on your most recent test. But if you were to simply answer 'yes,' you would be implying that you've most likely cheated on tests in the past. No matter what you say, it sounds like you've been cheating. Such interrogatives are known as complex or loaded questions, which are questions based on falsehoods or unfounded presumptions. Loaded questions are a type of logical fallacy, a faulty course of reasoning. In the case of loaded questions, the interrogator's logic is flawed when he or she poses a question that is grounded in something that is speculative at best or patently untrue. Take, for instance: 'have you stopped cheating on tests?' The logical fallacy here is founded on the (probably) false assertion or assumption that you have been cheating on tests, most likely sometime in the recent past. Questions like these are dangerous not only because they're based in falsehood but because they're also typically answerable only by 'yes' or 'no.' This presents a problem since these are also known as 'complex' questions because they commonly consist of multiple questions in one, thus their common Latin designation: plurium interrogationum, meaning 'from many questions.' Looking again to the cheating question, maybe you never cheated on a test, so you want to say 'no,' but that simple answer isn't enough. You would have to say: 'no, I never cheated on any of my tests.' Say, however, you did answer 'yes.' You might then go on to explain that you've stopped cheating on tests, but you only did it once and it was a long time ago. In both cases, you had to add extra explanations.

I prefer clarity and honesty myself.

Budwick Budwick OP

I prefer clarity and honesty myself.

Budwick Budwick OP

It's called "Tongue-in-Cheek", a concept that nobody gets anymore because they are so full of themselves. People on line think they are the smartest beings on the planet (because they have Google) , ever fearful of being mistaken, and are totally incapable of laughing at themselves or the world surrounding them. EVERYTHING is a serious life or death issue.

YAWNNNNNnnnn....

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo

In response to “It's called **"Tongue-in-Cheek"**, a...

Thanks! I like the angle you are looking at the problem with.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Thanks! I like the angle you are looking at...

Why do you think nobody is answering this question? Because it's not on their "intellectual" radar.
They'll need to analyze it for 4 hours, Google 'statistics' for 6 hours, so they may make an "intelligent" decision, analyze for 4 more, and then come up with an answer like "Maybe", or "it depends on this , that, or the other thing". This way , they can't be wrong!! LOL!! What a crew. lol Can't just answer a simple fkn question.

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo

In response to “Why do you think nobody is answering //this//...

I think it's a time of day thing. I've found that things are kind of slow M-F 8AM - 3PM

Budwick Budwick OP

We don't care if we're wrong! Kind of like this training video. A loaded video?

Rooster Rooster

Loaded questions only stump those who fall for them.

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Loaded questions only stump those who fall...

Thank you Cpt. Obvious!

Budwick Budwick OP

I don't cheat. Too simple?

Arachnia Arachnia

In response to “I don't cheat. Too simple?

Not at all! It's the perfect response IMHO

Budwick Budwick OP

A well known and widely used mechanism of our justice system.

The other one of interest is the Delphi System. Otherwise known as "The Way of the Bureaucrat".

AliceD AliceD

to much grey area these days
right is wrong an wrong is right

as long as my emotions are not hurt

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

It depends on the load.

that_guy that_guy

Those who preface their question as being just a "simple yes or no question", YET then start their loaded question with "Do you STILL___,and please just answer this simple question as either a yes or no"...ALWAYS know their intent of posing their "yes or no" question in that manner of DO YOU STILL__....IS purposely to INFER that at some point that person was GUILTY of that question of 'DO YOU STILL___" whether their answer is YES or NO.

Once again Bud is spot on, this time with his take on loaded questions.

Every time I see my Sicilian obese cousins at our family functions, they all think nothing of "body shaming" me for being "too skinny" (being healthy and fit my entire life) with their comments of "you're always STILL so skinny every time we see you, do you ever eat, we think you don't eat"... ugh.

Eh so next time I see my obese cousins this 4th of July, and IF they once again comment on my HEALTHLY weight as a fit person... I will go "Donald Trump" on them by telling them the blunt truth of what I THINK about their obese bodies, as they have always criticized/commented about MY body as being "too skinny"(HEALTHY AND FIT).. where now I have no worries of what they think because of my dad recently passing on suddenly, therefore I no longer care about "sparing the feelings" of my dad's sisters who all raised liberal, nutty minded, obese INTOLERANT daughters, that as obese people ONLY got away with body shaming me all those years for being "too skinny" when my dad was alive because I always RESPECTED my dad's advice to always take the high road of ignoring their criticism of me, to "keep the peace" among him and his sisters in his Sicilian family.
Nope not any more do I care about "keeping the peace" IF my cousins as being OBESE women comment on MY healthy weight the next time I see them since my dad's sudden passing.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “Those who preface their question as being...

Whoa! I seemed to have touched a nerve.
Sounds like that boil has been festering a while.

It's not my place I suppose, but remember, these folks are family.

You have my sympathy regarding the situation.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Whoa! I seemed to have touched a...

Lol!! :)
Yeah you did touch on a nerve only because I have had to keep inside over the decades being "body shamed" by my obese cousins, out of respect for my dad's advice to always be respectful and polite towards my obese cousins... even though they would think nothing of making their rude comments about MY weight, because in their minds it's was OK for them to make fun of my weight as their "skinny"(normal weight, HEALTHY) cousin.

Ugh what's frustrating for me, is that during my dad's mercy meal, one of my severely OBESE cousins(a local comedian) USED my dad's mercy meal for her as a "comedian" to take the mic to take jabs at my always beautiful "skinny" Aunt who has been suffering from Alzheimer's for the past 5 years, who was at that mercy meal for her brother(my dad) driven to her brother's wake/funeral/mercy meal by her older sister, thus my beautiful, always kind Aunt due to her suffering from Alzheimers, didn't have a clue as to where she was nor knowing that her estranged LOUD AND PROUD liberal/feminazi OBESE daughter was USING her mom's brother's mercy meal to roast her mother/making fun of her mom.... because her mom SUPPOSEDLY put "pressure" on her to be just as skinny and beautiful as she was, therefore why she "resisted" to instead become as OBESE as she could JUST to piss off her "skinny" mother. My morbidly OBESE liberal Feminazi "comedian" cousin actually said this crap about her MOM who is suffering from Alzheimers at my dad's mercy meal....#Liberalism truly is a MENTAL DISORDER.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “Lol!! :) Yeah you did touch on a nerve only...

Jeez! - What a cu...
You know what, I and every other moral person will be looking over to the left for a few moments. [Wow, it's kind of loud all of a sudden - can't hear a thing!]

Would you be a lamb and pick up that 2X4 over there at your cousins feet?

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Jeez! - What a cu... You know what, I and...

lol :)
My MORBIDLY obese cousin who is LOUD AND PROUD of her unhealthy MORBIDLY OBESE body weight as a feminist, as well as her being a politically CLUELESS annoying liberal feminazi, pink **** hat wearing anti-Trumper, WOULDN'T even BE ABLE to see a 2x4 at her feet nor her able to feel any physical pain of being hit by a 2x4, that's how obese she is.

Eh yet my pink hat wearing cousin as a "compassionate" feminist SUPPOSEDLY having empathy for ALL, thought nothing of USING my dad's mercy meal as a "comedian" to rip into her MOTHER'S parenting style....knowing damn well that her elderly MOM(my Aunt) was in the restaurant BUT sadly was living in another world due to suffering from Alzheimers...where my "compassionate liberal/feminist" cousin knew that our Noni suffered from Alzheimers as well :(

#LIBERALISM IS A MENTAL DISORDER.

Gronk17 Gronk17

Sometimes a two by four would be to kind. These supposedly "healthy, weight" folks think they have right to point out how sickly I look. I've stayed quiet way to long. I find a way to point out to them. Stating its a wonderful thing to be able to eat what I want, without putting on weight. I've filled out considerably since teen years. I still remain thin and fit. When I make the food comments. It shuts them up. Lol

BarbOBarr BarbOBarr

I grew up very skinny. People who are obese don't see this as a problem. I had was labeled with horrible nicknames. Bone,anorexic, spider girl. Those names can be just as hurtful as calling someone fat. I no longer allow this behavior. I speak out. I'm careful not to resort to telling them they are fat ****. That would be hypocritical of what I'm trying to change.😊

BarbOBarr BarbOBarr

In response to “I grew up very skinny. People who are obese...

I've always been respectful to my obese relatives who ignorantly THINK NOTHING of rudely commenting on my HEALTHY weight with their comments of "do you ever eat?, are you anorexic, you look sick" etc., eh but if I ever asked them "why do you all STILL eat so much when you're all clearly morbidly obese?"...Oh man they as FEMINISTS would have been so "OUTRAGED" at ME being a woman to even comment on a women's weight lol!!!!

Gronk17 Gronk17

If it came from my best friend I would assume it was a joke and laugh.

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

Bc loaded questions depend on the question.

Qazzie Qazzie

When a friend does it, they are joking.

When authorities do it, it is dangerous and a blatant abuse of power.

When ** in online forums do it, they're just being **.

Bozette Bozette

First off, I dislike how answers won't let you see the whole answer.

Second, I think loaded questions can be both entertaining can dangerous. Depending on the source and intent.

Zolfie Zolfie

Even when done in entertaining fashion they are still being used to evoke a certain type of answer from a person. As your example provided it's all about trapping the person into a situation where no matter which answer they give it is in some way going to be detrimental towards them. If you're watching a person trying to answer them you likely see signs of doubt, uncertainty...puts them in a place where not only are their answers going to hurt them but the body language/cues leading up to their answer is going to hurt them.

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon

In response to “Even when done in entertaining fashion they...

Exactly! Spot on point!
It's really good to see you Prodigal! You tend to make REALLY good, well worded comments.

Budwick Budwick OP