VicZincRoosterArachniaWill_JanitorLorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

Nobody :)

Will_JanitorRoosterArachnia
It is all fake news. When reporting on any event, reality always escapes. Look not at the meaning of the words, but what the choice of those words means – Why this headline? Why this adjective or that adverb? Why this subject for this audience? Care less about the event that was reported, care more about the way it was reported – that’s what we should react to.

It is all biased news. Even reporters who try to keep their own bias out of their reporting (which are rare) cannot help but let it leak through to some extent. Stories may be written by reporters, but are then edited by others, and that editing may completely change the tone of a story or may cause facts fairly reported to be skewed by the editor. Likewise, headlines are written not by the reporters, but by editors, which is why they so often do not match the story at all. So any MSM reporting is biased not only by the reporter(s), but also by the editor(s), and the editors are generally under (sometimes strict) guidelines of management. Thus any MSM story likely represents, at minimum, three levels of bias.

Bozette Bozette

Bozette Bozette

In response to “It is all //biased// news. Even reporters...

Exactly. Which is why the content means so little compared to the purposeful positioning of the story - that is the true story, the details are all conjecture.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

I took notice of this more after the OJ trial. Marsha Clark said that there was a shadowy figure skulking around the side of the house. Johnny Cochran pointed out the biased lingo and said it was just someone walking in the dark.

Arachnia Arachnia

Yellow journalism has been a problem for a long time. Our founding fathers had issues with journalists. So, it's nothing new - but the level of bias is discomforting.

There have been totally made up reports that followers swallow hook line and sinker. Then a few days later a retraction, page 15, no headline, mentioned as an aside going to commercial. The bias in media is undeniable.

The post smacks of someone that happens to be on the same side as the media and is a little pissed because the bias is so phucking obvious so now the excuse is that it's OUR fault for not reading or listening to it properly!

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Yellow journalism has been a problem for a...

All reports are (at best) biased. No report can paint an complete and accurate picture of any event. Anyone who says that they have found a honest news outlet should question that pronouncement.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “All reports are (at best) biased. No report...

Yeah, that's kind of what I said. It's not at all what your headline says though.

Here's just one example for you. A few days ago President Trump was meeting with a group of people opposed to California's sanctuary city policies. Questions from the audience expressed particular concern over MS-13 gang members. Part of Trumps response included the following phrase - "These aren't people. These are animals."

MSM reporting made it pretty hard to tell that Trump was referring to MS-13. Here for your reading pleasure is what USA Today wrote.

[Headline]
Trump ramps up rhetoric on undocumented immigrants: 'These aren't people. These are animals.'

WASHINGTON — President Trump used extraordinarily harsh rhetoric to renew his call for stronger immigration laws Wednesday, calling undocumented immigrants "animals" and venting frustration at Mexican officials who he said "do nothing" to help the United States.

“We have people coming into the country or trying to come in, we're stopping a lot of them, but we're taking people out of the country. You wouldn't believe how bad these people are," Trump said.

"These aren't people. These are animals."

Now Vic, this isn't an isolated incident. The whole of MSM reported it that way. A few days later they backed off a bit. But this story and virtually every other story that is reported by the MSM regarding Trump does the same kind of thing - every day for his whole term thus far.

So, when leftists read this crap daily, when they are told daily that the president is a racist, a bigot, a homophobe, a this or that - do you see how it might bother the rest of the more sane of society?

A story like that goes beyond bias. It's dishonest. And, this is where I'm likely to lose you - cuz you don't believe in truth.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Yeah, that's kind of what I said. It's not...

I think this is where I lost you, because you might believe in the truth. You might think that it was possible to report that incident in a 'truthful way'. In this example, when I saw the headline, I listened to the tape and decided that the president had not done what the headline said he did.

More importantly in my opinion, I looked at who this headline was intended to stimulate - as was pretty predictable that the Bill Palmers and the Matt Dowds of the world would go all rabid and started foaming at the mouth. Equally predictable was the reaction of the Tucker Carlsons and Laura Ingrahams. The most likely reason for that reporting was not to hurt Trump or even to report accurately, it was to inflame tensions - to stimulate the divide.

That purpose (inflammation) is the real news! What Trump said or did not say is not news. The real news is that our country, our culture, our very economy, thrives on controversy. Controversy has become our currency (in both senses of that word). That is the news, controversy is the news. Controversy is what we we should be talking about, but we don't, we talk about what Trump said - which when we think about it is not news at all - the Palmers expected him to say it and the Ingrahams expected the 'left' to misconstrue it. that's not news, that does surprise anyone.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “I think this is where I lost you, because you...

Journalism serves to inform the public. It's an open medium, meaning the intended audience includes the entire community or public.

It's an essential part of a democratic society.

Journalists are people. People have opinions and bias. Journalists are supposed to be objective, keep their bias out of their reports. The exception would be editorials.

Prejudicial journalism is detrimental to society. Over 90% of journalists today are progressive and viciously opposed to republican leadership.

Your expectation for every person to dissect every story in the manner you suggest is possible, that's why Trump got elected and why his support continues to grow. But it's not ideal for a free society.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Journalism serves to inform the public. It's...

Could not agree more. Sadly it doesn't work that way. Mostly because of the consolidation of all media under a few mega corporations that are closely controlled.

Seriously though, Trump was elected precisely because the media fed out of his hand. He is an exceptionally -good manipulator skilled personality who plays the game expertly.

The media is not really pro-left or pro-right it is pro-stirring-the-pot. Just like me.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “Could not agree more. Sadly it doesn't work...

I disagree.

I think the media is actually pulling the strings in the democrat party. And, I think you are for the most part disingenuous.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I disagree. I think the media is actually...

Well you got the last part right.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

It's impossible to only see one person's view and know if they reported all of the story and facts. Even if you see several different reports you still just don't know. There is no trust in reporting and after the last few years where we have seen time and again the deceitful nature of the business there should be no trust.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

I reported the news on one of my posts, even showed the video, and was accused of it being a hate post posting it because I hate Trump. lol Some people will not face the facts, thus they call it fake news.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I reported the news on one of my posts, even...

I saw that. Consider the source. SMH.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “I saw that. Consider the source. SMH.

Kinda funny, isn't it? (biggrin)

StarzAbove StarzAbove