Do you think it's possible to ease oneself off an addiction? Or is cold turkey the only solution?

Cold turkey

Rooster

Never cold turkey

Nobody :(

It depends... (on how serious you are about changing, type of addiction, if your family suffers, etc)

astral_queenCrimsonSkylarPerkins

Unsure

ZaraZooperChuck_Tomxather

Other

JanHaskellZonkeyBalls

doctorwho1011Piper2AdaWill_JanitorCarlaZonkeyBallsRoosterSynysterGates

When i got off opiods, i eased off until i got very ill. Then off to rehab.
Im still trying to kick nicotine. Ive tried it all. Not sure what my answer for that is finally goung to be:[.

Carla Carla

Never heard of a success story. Abstinence is what I heard.

xather xather

In response to “Never heard of a success story. Abstinence...

I'm not sure what you mean, xather. About either point.

Chuck_Tom Chuck_Tom OP

In response to “I'm not sure what you mean, xather. About...

I never knew anyone that could just cut back. Usually they are in a lot of trouble with something and need to go to rehab which abstinence is highly encouraged.

Wouldn't know personally since I don't do drugs or drink. Never have. (no judgement of those that do).

xather xather

In response to “I never knew anyone that could just cut...

Solid points :)
Thanks for elaborating.

Chuck_Tom Chuck_Tom OP

Carla Carla

In response to “When i got off opiods, i eased off until i...

Nicotine I can understand 'cause it's a wicked addiction. It took me til I was 56 to finally smoke my last cigarette (I was really flu sick and I couldn't smoke... of course... so when I was recovering from sneezing, coughing and aching I just kept not smoking... )

Opioids? Mind explaining? Pain meds?

Chuck_Tom Chuck_Tom OP

In response to “Nicotine I can understand 'cause it's a...

You didnt know?
Yes i was precribed pain meds for 16 years. By the time i decided to make a change they had me on 180 mg of morphine, 100 mg patch of fentanyl, and 20 mg of valium per day. And, they were no longer working. Instead of letting them up the dosages..again (12.5 more mg fentanly) i had had enough. I was on as many meds as someone who was at the end of life. I got myself down to 25 mg of the fentanyl, but i was very ill. 98 lbs. And just plain sick. My sister got me into a rehab facility. Spent eleven days there.
Cannabis has been those meds replacement. I can use it or not use it. No physically adictive qualities.

Carla Carla

In response to “You didnt know? Yes i was precribed pain meds...

My stepson takes all sorts of meds. All unnecessary imho... but, of course, I don't live in his skin. He knows about the benefits of weed - his own son has a gov't marijuana card, for cryin' out loud - but he won't even discuss getting a permit for himself. SMH...

I did not know about any of that, C... thank God you got off those meds (hug)

Chuck_Tom Chuck_Tom OP

In response to “My stepson takes all sorts of meds. All...

When the crap is in you, it tricks you into believing you cant live without it. Does funky things to the wiring in your brain. Once off, it is amazing how clear the world becomes.
Not to mention what it does to your organs.

Carla Carla

In response to “When the crap is in you, it tricks you into...

All those are his symptoms, yup...

Chuck_Tom Chuck_Tom OP

Congrats on that Carla, it's no small feat.

Have you tried vaping?

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “Congrats on that Carla, it's no small feat...

Yes...
Aliced suggested it. I have a good pen, but just doesnt do it.
Ive cut way down...again. trying keep busy enough to keep my mind from going there. Starting on chantix on tuesday. Ive done that several times. It helps.
Anything i say about smoking is just a bad excuse.
I will get there.

Carla Carla

In response to “Yes... Aliced suggested it. I have a good...

A buddy of mine used chantix, he swore by it. I've heard otherwise mixed reviews from friends, especially those with a predisposition to depression. But he seemed to think he wouldn't have quit without it.

I've never tried vaping, but another friend has all but completely quit using it.

I found the 4mg mints helped. But I had already cut down to under 4 smokes a day. I noticed I naturally cut down on the coffee at the same time, too much coffee made me want to smoke.

You know what, now that I think of it, pot always made me smoke less.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “A buddy of mine used chantix, he swore by it...

Years ago, a friend of mine quit with the gum and a one hitter. The weed is so good nowadays, though, that if i tried that, i would be high all the time:/.
Btw i think she still chews that damned gum!

Carla Carla

In response to “Years ago, a friend of mine quit with the gum...

I don't doubt it, it's been years since I smoked, but it was good then too. lol

No way! After years? Wow. Well, that's still gotta be better than the tar though, right?

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “I don't doubt it, it's been years since I...

I reckon so. Im sure that isnt as toxic as chew, either.
Ive been almost there with the chantix. Each time there has been an event, followed by an excuse. Maybe this time.

Carla Carla

In response to “I reckon so. Im sure that isnt as toxic as...

I understand completely. You'll get there, I know you will!

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “I understand completely. You'll get there, I...

Thank you. I appreciate that. Positive reinforcement is such a good thing:)

Carla Carla

In response to “Thank you. I appreciate that. Positive...

So I was talking to a buddy of mine this weekend who vapes and he was saying to really find the closest possible alternative to your current smoke style, you have to go to one of the vape bars and check out their catalogs.

He said the one here has extensive catalogs of flavors. Then you can further specify the amount of nicotine you want in each distribution. You can sample all of that for free at one of the vape bars.

Otherwise, he said you could spend hundreds of dollars search for months for the right fit for you.

He's been cigg free for several years. So... I don't know if any of that is helpful, but I figured I'd pass it on just in case. Good luck :)

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “So I was talking to a buddy of mine this...

I did go to a vape store. I reckon i made the mistake of picking a couple of yummy flavors. The yummy gets old very quickly.

Thank you for the advice. I think i just might give the vape thing another shot.

Carla Carla

In response to “I did go to a vape store. I reckon i made the...

He said to look for a vape bar, not the store. Not sure where you're located, but he seemed sure they were pretty common in any city.

Oh I know what you mean! He was a Kool smoker, menthol never really did it for me though. But from how he spoke, there is definitely something for the flavorless tobacco smoker.

He also said you can get some as powerful as 20 or more mg of nicotine per ml of oil. That's almost a whole patch!

Was weird that I ever wound up having the conversation right after we discussed it here.

Anyway, just figured I'd relay it to you in case it might help you out :)

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

Only addiction I've had to kick was smoking! Once the price for cigs started climbing? I just quit cold turkey! Haven't touched one since.

Rooster Rooster

In response to “Only addiction I've had to kick was smoking!...

(clap)

A pack of 25 in Ontario costs a quarter or so less than $15. In your currency that's around $12

Chuck_Tom Chuck_Tom OP

In response to “(clap) A pack of 25 in Ontario costs a...

Geez! I quit 30 years ago and they were on the rise then! I think they're around $7.50 a pack here. I see the signs when I go buy Zig Zags! (hehe)

Rooster Rooster

In response to “Geez! I quit 30 years ago and they were on...

On the Indian reserve you can get their brand (these are REAL coffin nails) dirt cheap... if you want a rasping cough to go along with your addiction... (hehe)

Chuck_Tom Chuck_Tom OP

In response to “On the Indian reserve you can get their brand...

I'll pass. Can't even stand the smell of them! I just cough when I'm smoking weed. LOL

Rooster Rooster

In response to “I'll pass. Can't even stand the smell of...

I'm almost afraid to smoke weed now. I understand some strains can be mighty powerful... the weak, homegrown stuff made me a giggling wreck a few decades ago...

Chuck_Tom Chuck_Tom OP

It depends on the addictive substance. I was able to quit smoking by first cutting back and then using the patch. But withdrawals from some things can actually be life threatening ... best to get professional help.

JanHaskell JanHaskell

The only thing to which I was addicted was cigarettes. I was going through about 2 packs a day and they were $1.25 a pack back then. I decided that my 40th birthday present to myself would be to quit. Six of us from the office went to a one-time hypnosis session and the last cigarette I smoked was just before I went into that session. Haven't smoked in the 32 years since and, like Rooster, I can't stand the smell of it either. A pack of cigarettes in NYC these days is about $10-$12. I don''t know how anyone can afford to smoke at those prices.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “The only thing to which I was addicted was...

If anyone could've quit cold turkey I would've put my money on you. (clap)

Chuck_Tom Chuck_Tom OP

In response to “If anyone could've quit cold turkey I...

I was pretty determined. It helped that several co-workers were doing it at the same time and none of us wanted to be the first to give up. I missed it a lot at first, but eventually that passed and I'm not sorry.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “I was pretty determined. It helped that...

After years of hearing and seeing my dad hack and hork into the wood stove every morning he surprised us all by deciding to quit cold turkey, as well. When he was 57. For a couple of years he carried a pack of smokes in his shirt pocket... to test himself, I suppose??

A belated "way to go!" to him and a lot more recent "way to go!" to you :)

Chuck_Tom Chuck_Tom OP

In response to “After years of hearing and seeing my dad hack...

I had an unopened pack of cigarettes in the house when I came back from that hypnosis session. I kept thinking that I'd just give it to someone who smoked and save them some money. After a week, I realized that it was a temptation that I didn't want around and threw them down the incinerator.

Linnster Linnster

What addiction? I'm drunk. I don't comprehend stuff that easily, these days.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

For me, cold turkey worked best for everything but nicotine. I used the patch for week. I hated it, it made me feel like shit. So I switched to the mints. After they ran out, that was it. Haven't touched a cigarette since.

Everything else that needed quitting was done cold turkey and even though it damn near killed me.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

I've know people who have done both, it just depends your addiction. I know a guy who quit cold turkey and here we are years later and he is still slapping
his shirt pocket to see if his cigs were still there. They aren't.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

Yes I think there is more than one solution... and I think it is possible to ease oneself off, and/or limit to a much smaller amount. No it's not easy, but no addiction is.

Zolfie Zolfie