Pat Benatar was by far the all time best rock female vocalist in the 80's IMO ... My favorite album, <b>In the Heat of the Night</b> ... Post some of your favorite Benatar songs.

Piper2DandyDonZolfieWill_JanitorRooster
Pat Benatar was by far the all time best rock female vocalist in the 80's IMO ... My favorite album, In the Heat of the Night ... Post some of your favorite Benatar songs.

When Heart's Ann Wilson was making music at the same time, I can't agree that Benatar was the best. https://youtu.be/UaRyYFFlLGc Love her music though.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

I remember her but not her songs. Looking at other posts will propably make me see.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

Was never a huge Benatar, she was unbelievably talented, just not my jam...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw1jlLBL-1k

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “Was never a huge Benatar, she was...

Hell Is For Children is the best song from that album. It is the last track from that LP and is a powerful rock ballad about the horror of child abuse.

"be daddy's good girl and don't tell mommy a thing,

be a good little boy and you'll get a new toy,

tell grandma you fell off the swing"

Sir_Whatz Sir_Whatz

In response to “Hell Is For Children is the best song from...

Agree, one of her best.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

Pat Benatar IS by far the all time best "rock" female VOCALIST due to her vocal range and her training as a student of musical theater, but I do not consider Pat Benatar's music as being ROCK music at all, I consider her music as being POP music, not ROCK music.

In MY humble OPINION, Joan Jett is the 1st Woman of ROCK..because she was hard core into rock when she was in the Runaways as a teenager, also then when forming her own band in her early 20's, and still rocking just has hard now while in her 50's....whereas pretty female 80's female "rock" stars ala Pat Benatar, Chrissy Hynde, Lita Ford, and Heart's Wilson sisters... all got soft as they got older, but Joan Jett didn't/hasn't, and hopefully won't.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “Pat Benatar IS by far the all time best...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DSqp-W1pWoU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gronk17 Gronk17

Listen to her older songs. like, Heartbreaker, Treat me right, some good guitar riffs. You don't hear guitar riffs in pop music. No way she's pop. Pop music is Britney Spears, Arianna Grande etc ... you know all that crap.

I know Joan Jett is a rocker and I know she came from the Runaways along with Lita Ford who is another great female rocker. No way Lita Ford is not POP ... have you ever seen her riff? How can you say she's pop. You're confusing the genres ... sorry but this is were we disagree.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “Listen to her older songs. like...

Have to agree with that.

Pat Benatar is about as Pop as Michael Jackson is Heavy Metal.

DandyDon DandyDon

When I was a teenager back in the late 70's into heavy metal, Heartbreaker was a song that I did like..but eventually didn't like the rest of her MTV music, that I personally deemed as being "pop music" back then.

Back in the early 80's, FOR ME as a heavy metal "chick", Chrissy Hynde(before she got soft) and Joan Jett both being the LEADERS of their bands, along with their blazing guitars solos, for ME were the epitome of STRONG BAD **** WOMEN/leaders in their ROCK bands...whereas back then when Pat Benatar was MTV's darling of "rock", in MY OPINION, Pat Benator was just a pretty face female pop star singer, having her guitar playing husband by her side....NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT lol...just that for ME, I didn't consider her music as being ROCK music.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HjXnhT3jXM4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “When I was a teenager back in the late 70's...

You want some bad **** Metal Rocker, Lee Aaron was the Metal queen.
Seen her live several time as she lived only a few hours away from my city.

Pretty face, hot body and one hell of a voice. lol

https://youtu.be/d6VAHS42XAU

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “You want some bad **** Metal Rocker, Lee...

I have never heard that song prior to you posting it on here.
In my opinion, her sound and her "look" is no different than that of Vixen back in the 80's..back when the suit and tie music Executives would manufacture a "look" and a style for an all female band for them to fit in with their counterparts of all male 80's hair bands who were raking in the big bucks for them.

The musically gifted and talented sisters of THEIR band Heart who were hugely popular in the 70's, as supposedly "strong" women, actually sold their souls/their music integrity for MONEY....agreeing to become an 80's big hair chick band to sing sappy love songs while wearing push up bras and having BIG 80's hair...just for them to make money for themselves and make 'mo money" for the record label putting out their music.

Whereas, in my opinion, IF Nancy and Ann Wilson were TRULY "strong" women, they never would have agreed to be USED as "vixens" to sell records.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “I have never heard that song prior to you...

Honestly they all looked a like and had that teased hair, with a ton of aqua net and the sexy outfits to goa long with it all.

Some were heavy than others, Lee Aaaron was much more metal/rock than the band Vixen imo.

The real metal bands in the 80's were motorhead, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Megadeth. Scorpions, Qeenryche and several more.

Even Van Halen, Guns n Roses weren't really heavy metal but more hard rock.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “Honestly they all looked a like and had that...

Back in the 80's I considered Vixen as just being a lame manufactured big hair "heavy metal" female band....same as I thought of the big hair 80's all guy bands like Winger, Warrant, Kix, Poison etc. who all sounded the SAME.....whereas great rock bands like AC/DC, Zeppelin, The Who, Van Halen, RUSH and Nirvana as bands created an original SOUND that other bands copied..IN MY OPINION :)

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “Back in the 80's I considered Vixen as just...

No question, Poison, Warrant, Winger, Stripper, Bon Jovi all sounded the same.

Not a Nirvana fan, but I did like Dave Grohl and still do.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “No question, Poison, Warrant, Winger...

I wasn't into Nirvana either or into any of those 90's grunge bands, because their lyrics and videos were way too depressing for me lol.

When David Grohl formed his own band after Kurt's passing...we all got to see that Grohl was actually a happy, funny, goofy guy with a great sense of humor(via his Foo Fighters videos) and how talented he actually was as a musician, where he could play every instrument, write great songs as well as being the lead singer of his band.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “I wasn't into Nirvana either or into any of...

I totally agree with you regarding Grohl, I love the Foo Fighters and yeah, he can be really goofy. lol

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “I totally agree with you regarding Grohl, I...

I liken David Grohl to Tom Brady...because both had more talent and natural ability than their "best player" teammate, with both being on the sidelines UNTIL they were called up, where both of them proved to be even more talented and gifted in their profession than those they had replaced.

Thus why I am so against Professional sport team owners, music execs, movie execs agreeing to pay these RIDICULOUS million dollar salaries to our court jesters.. to entertain WE THE PEOPLE, by only passing the cost on to WE THE PEOPLE.

Where there IS always a player who is JUST as gifted and talented as a Derek Jeter, a Colin Kaepernick a Lebron James etc... who didn't make the cut, who would happily play their sport, that they love to play, for a miniscule 1/8th of a fraction of the paycheck these prima donna professional athletes are paid.

My son was fortunately recruited to play baseball for the college of his choice..he is currently playing in a summer league of 18U baseball players who are not going to play college baseball...and ALL of the players on this team are just as talented and gifted as any MLB player you pay to watch them play in person or watch on TV...yet the owners of Professional sport teams continue to agree to pay the ridiculously multi-million dollar salaries for their "star" players...when there's always another player who is JUST AS GOOD or even BETTER at that sport, who would play for that Pro team for minimum wage.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In my personal opinion...Lita Ford went the way of selling her ROCK AND ROLL soul, by her allowing herself to become a typical looking dime a dozen manufactured hot looking "BAD ****" rock chick back in the 80's, agreeing to wear a silly Jane Fonda type of work out attire in her Kiss me Deadly video, as well as her agreeing to sing that awful sappy duet song with Ozzy.

JUST my personal OPINION/take as being a heavy metal chick back in the 80's. :)

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “In my personal opinion...Lita Ford went the...

I won't argue with that. I still like her music and she still performs, looks great at her age.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP