There is an idea of a you online; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real you: only an entity, something illusory. And though you can hide your cold gaze, pretend everything is perfect, have what you might believe are friends, you simply don't exist ... How real do you want people to be online?

DW2Lil_PrincessDandyDonAdaCarlaRooster

You can be fooled by people standing face to face with you.
Some people would like to think they can't be fooled in real life and that's fine.

Be nice and I'll be nice....Period.

That covers online, real life, heaven or hell..

DandyDon DandyDon

I'm not SynysterGates or Markymark, I'm actually Negan.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

That really depends on the person. I'm not trying to meet every online acquaintance and I guard my privacy like it's a second job.

I have friendships existing online and irl, but that didn't happen over night, was over the course of years. I don't discount purely online friendships as fake or illusory, though they are different. But that's just me.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “That really depends on the person. I'm not...

I'm not saying all people on social media are fake.
I believe there are many that are real and authentic, but even if I believe that, I'm pretty sure some are not who they might perceive to be.

Face to face is the only way to know for sure.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “I'm not saying all people on social media are...

I didn't mean to interpret it that way. I was referring more to the relationships people have than people specifically. I think it is possible to have an authentic friendship without meeting face to face. Pen-pals did it all the time prior to the internet.

But I understand what you mean. Face to face would probably be the only way to confirm whatever information you seek to confirm about someone.

I just think perceptions are fickle, you know? If a person is distrusting of their online friendship with someone, they could probably find all sort of ways to validate their distrust upon meeting them face to face. That could be due to actual dishonesty on the part of the other party or it could be the person just built up an unrealistic expectation. It's hard to say because perceptions can vary greatly from person to person.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “I didn't mean to interpret it that way. I was...

You're right, perception does vary from one person to another.

Also, some people are okay with an online friendship knowing very well that the person isn't who they say they are.

The internet has made it easy for people to deceive, that's the unfortunate part.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “You're right, perception does vary from one...

Oh you're right about that, I know a few who get plum freaked out if someone mentions meeting them irl.

It is unfortunate. All the time you here of people falling for some scammer, giving up their life savings, or worse, their families whole livelihood. Those should go to jail. imho Same goes for identity thieves.

For me, I have very low expectations of people irl, I'm content if the people I talk online aren't serial killers. So...

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “Oh you're right about that, I know a few who...

I totally agree with you on those scammers taking advantage of people. Especially people that are hard up for money, they end up losing out to these scammers. Jail time is the minimum and yes Identity thieves too.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

Be nice and I'll be nice....Period.

DandyDon DandyDon

In response to “You can be fooled by people standing face to...

That's true DD, but realistically if you've been friends with someone for years (35 ) you pretty much know they aren't fake.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “That's true DD, but realistically if you've...

I can agree with that..

DandyDon DandyDon

I very much agree... I've seen cases where people have been friends a very long time... and either they didn't know each other, or (maybe more likely) they changed over time... and were willing to do somethings that you wouldn't ever think that they would do.

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “I very much agree... I've seen cases where...

Yea that's pretty much what I was thinking too.

You never know when someone can change and do something very unpredictable..

They could go on acting the same way, even though they may have changed a couple of years ago.

Then it happens.

What seems like something out of the blue to you.
They may have been hiding for a long time.

DandyDon DandyDon

In response to “Yea that's pretty much what I was thinking...

I remember hearing about a cop that had a great record and was something like less than 3 years away from a very good retirement. People had known him for 40+ years.

Then he started doing the unthinkable... he was stealing money from their seizure area...

Which I'm told is extremely stupid because they're forced to keep extremely detailed records of what they put in and tons of camermas... The records weren't matching what they were finding and so they went to the tapes.

His whole career down the tube.

Zolfie Zolfie

We all show different sides of ourselves in different situations. I don't know if we can ultimately say which of those sides is the most real.

DWF DWF

Don got it exactly right. You could be standing next to a fake friend right now.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “Don got it exactly right. You could be...

Agree, see my reply to DD.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

My wants are irrelevant as people are only going to reveal themselves as real as they set out to do. In a world where I would get my wants, I'd want the reciprocal of how real I am.

Vrendowl Vrendowl

I'm pretty realistic online and off. I consider myself a pretty good judge of people most of the time and am pretty good at spotting a phony here and there but don't go out of my way to find them. Online friends? I prefer online acquaintances as I've never met them in real life. I'm leery of people I meet in real life until we get to know one another.

Rooster Rooster

In response to “I'm pretty realistic online and off. I...

Agree, I'm the same in RL and online. I don't have tons of friends, I have two great friends from my childhood and three others from over 6 years.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “Agree, I'm the same in RL and online. I don't...

I don't either as most have moved to other states or we just lost touch with each other. But I have a couple of good trustworthy friends, both male and female and I'm the same around them as I am on here.

Rooster Rooster

Being online has it's perks, it hides your insecurities which frees you to be the way you are, on the other hand it can also give you too much comfort and forget what humble means.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

If people are discussing themselves, i expect truth. Anything less is such a waste of time...my time. In life, i can judge, real, pretty well.
Here...ive been fooled. And yes, i felt foolish.
Ill not let that happen again.

Carla Carla

In response to “If people are discussing themselves, i expect...

!00 % with you on that Carla. I can usually tell in real life with eye contact and certain other behaviors. But online? it's a crap shoot, some I can tell they are authentic others not so much.

Once bitten, twice shy.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

I believe that anyone coming on-line in this modern age who does not look at the internet as a hall of mirrors is either deranged or extremely naive. This is the dark road, where both the legitimate, and the highwayman lie by the side of the road. You are left to your own devices to ascertain that pile of corpulence before you.
I believe the litmus test is a consistent body of behavior over a given time in which, you will be able to separate those who you wish to keep on the surface, vs. those whom you are compelled to descend to another level with. I believe it to be very layered.

Freeranger Freeranger

In response to “I believe that anyone coming on-line in this...

That is one hell of a well written comment, and I absolutely agree.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

I want people to be real, in terms of when you should a part of yourself, let that be real. That, or make it clear that it's not really true.... such as, I clearly put up my picture and it just so happens, that I'm a talking and typing wolf. I think everyone knows how realist that is, making it clear.

But when I give my opinion or feelings, it's what I really think and/or feel.

I also want people to be real in the term of common courtesy... of not giving personal attacks to others. Also it's very clear that we got some troll pot stirrers on here... where their goal seems to be throw stuff in people faces and insult them... just for fun... that's not cool.

Everyone should be getting a certain level of common respect, just like real life, where we're not trying to tear others apart.

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “I want people to be real, in terms of when...

There are definitely real people on this site, although we haven't met face to face, we have a sense that they are authentic.

I disagree with feelings, if someone pretends to be someone they aren't, lies about almost everything, no way would i believe their feelings are true.

Don't confuse fantasy with reality.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “There are definitely real people on this...

When I talked about feelings I used an "I" statement, and you disagreed... talking about pretending and lying. I hope you're not implying that I'm lying...

I do pretend to be a wolf... be c'mon, people should know that's just goofing around, and not lying because it should be clear.

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “When I talked about feelings I used an...

My bad I missed the "I" in your statement.

Never said you're lying or ever lied, i'm saying there has been some who have lied over and over and they got caught.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “My bad I missed the "I" in your...

I know you didn't say it, which is why I asked to clarify. And you acknowledged the issue (smile)... yeah the "I" was at the end of a line, at least in mobile mode.

I agree, there are some on here who just lie, and/or just troll with very misleading statements... and it's annoying as can be.

Zolfie Zolfie

On a side note: Did you block or stop following me? Cus message says I can't send you a message, because you're not following me, but my followers says you are.

It's fine either way, just trying to figure out the bug and I'm not sure if the bug was with message system and/or the following system.

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “On a side note: Did you block or stop...

I'll check and see.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “I'll check and see.

Thanks

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “I'll check and see.

And the results?

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “And the results?

It's good on my side.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “It's good on my side.

Yeah, well I wish I could PM you about something, seeing as you you're anti-people with multiple accounts.

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6ZsZl8jwdZqy6zs...

Haha, great gif ... welcome back and it's about time.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “Haha, great gif ... welcome back and it's...

Let's see how long it lasts.

trooper trooper

In response to “Let's see how long it lasts.

Hopefully, it lasts for good!

Rooster Rooster

In response to “Hopefully, it lasts for good!

I agree ...

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

Oh, I am very real and I expect people to be real too

I can't hide my emotions even behind a screen. Most pick up right away when something is wrong.

I am far from perfect that is for damn sure. I get angry, I get happy, I get sad, I get excited but at the end of the day, I will always be simply me and nothing or nobody else.

🦋

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

In response to “Oh, I am very real and I expect people to be...

I know and that's why you're are so well liked. (biggrin)

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “Thank ya kindly (biggrin)

You're welcome.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

At this point all of you here are tiny pictures that represent people, that doesn't leave me with much except the thoughts and opinions so I don't really know how much of this matters.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “At this point all of you here are tiny...

I'm saying, just becasue they are online doesn't really mean they are who they say they are ....

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “I'm saying, just becasue they are online...

That much I agree, people have two choices here. Be what they truly are, that which they can't be in their daily life or be the one they want to be, a better version of themselves because all the negatives of real life are removed here.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “That much I agree, people have two choices...

That's about right.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

I have people on here that I count as real friends, I have some that seem really nice but we just get along...then there are some that I have no interest in becoming any type of friendship with...then there are some that if they popped off, I would just smile.....everyone is real to me, unless they prove otherwise...

JD JD

In response to “I have people on here that I count as real...

I didn't see you smile today at certain members. (hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

You could say that even in real life you are simply a number of abstractions in various people's heads, including your own.

AliceD AliceD

I’m just as real as the coin I flip to decide my own existence.

DW2 DW2

No matter what cutesy stories you make up, you are only talking to your computer.

that_guy that_guy

In response to “No matter what cutesy stories you make up...

There is an audience out there.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “There is an audience out there.

Yes? You have not presented any particular point.

that_guy that_guy

In response to “Yes? You have not presented any particular point.

Meaning that we (who ever is behind the screen) are talking with people on this site, the audience.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “Meaning that we (who ever is behind the...

Well, yes, you do have to keep reminding yourself that there are people out there and you sort of want some approval from them. But as long as your manners are acceptable, you are just talking to your computer.

that_guy that_guy