For Shame!!  President Trump removing children from their illegal parents!! Well, at least he didn't use an AUTOMATIC RIFLE, like Bill Clinton did!

Oh well, errrrr....ahhhh...that was different.

Him

Why are we still talking about the Clintons?

Nobody :(

Grow up!

Nobody :(

What are you saying?

Nobody :(

Read a book, imbecile.

Nobody :(

Liberal hypocrisy knows no bounds.

ErikEllenbergerSunny_the_skeptic

LOL!! True!

SkylarPerkinsArachnia

Other

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundredtrooper

RoosterSynysterGatesMuttSkylarPerkinsArachnia
For Shame!! President Trump removing children from their illegal parents!! Well, at least he didn't use an AUTOMATIC RIFLE, like Bill Clinton did!

Explained by Him...

How quickly liberals forget about "poor little" Elian Gonzales. lol & smh

Elian Gonzales wasn't "removed from his parents", though. Not even close, but you must know that. Also, people openly seek asylum here, aren't exactly "illegals".
Not many who were aware of that battle between Elian's father and his not so immediate Miami relatives , and our's and the Cuban government have forgotten it, I doubt. It was overkill how it was done, or surely seemed to be. It wasn't pretty.

Piper2 Piper2

Ohhhh these liberals!!!! LMAO!!!

Him Him OP

Another one of your boring “gotcha” questions, I see.

Who says anyone has forgotten?

Who says “liberals” supported the removal of Elian Gonzales from the US?

Just because someone is a liberal doesn’t mean they suck Bill Clinton’s **** and agree with absolutely every single thing that occurred during his presidency. Do you agree with every single thing that Trump’s administration has done? Does the fact that something similar happened in the past excuse what the Trump administration is doing now?

Logan Logan

In response to “Another one of your boring...

Sure, not all liberals blindly follow and defend everything their favourite politician does, but many of them do. They may be vocal minorities, but they've made it so that sane, moderate people are afraid to speak out against it for fear of being labelled an alt-right nazi or whatever. Just take Trudeau for example; disagreeing with him on anything makes some people flip right out, as if you just went to a church and called Mary a **** or something.

Modern politics are like a cult though, and people follow along with everything their favourite leader says and does, left and right. No one thinks for themselves anymore, they only think what they're instructed to think.

Thedudeyouhatetomeet Thedudeyouhatetomeet

They can hardly put the kids in detention centres with their parents..

JD JD

I know a guy who was put in prison, away from his kids, because he dared to try to talk to them and that was for months. He was told not to contact his kids. Why should noncitizens get better treatment than the ones who pay the bills for them?
If they try to come here their children will be temporarily taken away. Why is so hard to understand the law? Don't put your children in jeopardy if you care about them.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

In response to “I know a guy who was put in prison, away from...

ozzy correct. If you are a criminal you get whatever you get. Taking the children to a childcare center will prevent more dreamers from existing.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “Elian Gonzales wasn't "removed from his...

right piper it seemed to me the family was fighting over that kid not the government.

In response to “right piper it seemed to me the family was...

It became a battle between more than just his father, and the non-immediate relatives who fought to keep him here.

Piper2 Piper2

I never said he was. His mother drowned. I know that. Just because I don't read 5 books a day doesn't mean I'm stoopit.

The issue is President Trump traumatizing "poor little children" by separating them from their parents. Well, Clinton and Reno were pretty good at traumatizing children too, wouldn't you say?

And President Trump hasn't set any children on fire yet either.

Him Him OP

In response to “I never said he was. His mother drowned. I...

And I didn't say you did. Seemed worth mentioning though, considering the wording of your post. What the heck does reading books have to do with anything? Personally, I don't know anyone who reads 5 books a day. One would not need to read any books a day, however, in order to know or find out details of the highly publicized Elian Gonzales 'story'.

Yeah, that certainly is an issue, when children are separated from their parents. It always is or should be, when children are "traumatized" in custody battles, or any other time.
I have no doubt that the little boy Elian was traumatized by a lot of things that happened to him during that time. I have no idea what the best decision would have been for him, back then.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “And I didn't //say// you did. Seemed worth...

Then stop making President Trump out to be a monster. Democratic icons Clinton and Reno were WORSE in their treatment of children. How many did Janet Reno set on fire in Waco? 7? 10??

Him Him OP

In response to “Then stop making President Trump out to be a...

I'm quite sure that I've never said or even implied, that Trump is a "monster".

What went down at Waco was undeniably terrible, but by any credible reporting....it was 'Davidians' who started the fires.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “I'm quite sure that I've never said or even...

You agree with those who do.

"Credible" reporting? (no) That's the height of arrogance.

Yeah, they started the fires. They were planning that all along whether the federal marshals were there or not. Yeah, right. lol.
There's new testimony out now. The surviving children of Waco are speaking out as to what really happened. I have not watched it yet.

Him Him OP

In response to “You agree with those who do...

Nope, I do not. I can even understand the urge to defend him from some of the over-the-top criticism.

Hardly the height of arrogance, but I definitely agree that I should have added "that I have read or heard".

I'd be interested in seeing that, actually.

Piper2 Piper2

clinton did what? I think the children are being separated to a nicer place for children. not a jail facility. Plus no more dreamers if the kids are taken then returned with the parents.

That incident was horrible. Reno should have been fired. Period.
People seeking asylum are not committing a crime. The crime is removing their children to unknown or vague locations. The courts will get involved with this, and the administration will lose.

Carla Carla

Isn't that something that's done even before Trump ever became president?

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Isn't that something that's done even before...

No. There were holding centers for children who came over on their own. Teenagers. This new policy of snatching kids from their parents srated in april.

Carla Carla

In response to “No. There were holding centers for children...

What happens if illegals have a child in the US? I know that anyone born there becomes a citizen but the parents can still get deported right?

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In certain situations only. The policy of prosecuting parents who illegally cross the border is new under Trump. People who have been arrested for illegal border crossing are jailed. Children are not allowed to go to jail with their parents.

Back in 2014-15, though, during the height of the migrants from Central America, the Obama administration adopted a policy of detaining parents with children seeking amnesty in family centers as a deterrent. That was struck down by the courts.

So while people are complaining about children being taken from their parents, they also complained when they were held with their parents.

In other words, they want no one with children held pending amnesty determination or charged with breaking our laws held, but given a free pass into our country...effectively making our immigration law null and void whenever someone has a child with them.

Illegals have been caught and have admitted to using children that are not theirs to take advantage of this loophole, which should concern people, as should the possibility of child trafficking being used to subvert the law using this loophole.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “In certain situations only. The policy of...

"The policy of prosecuting parents who illegally cross the border is new under Trump."
Presactly

What I find concerning is the amount of man-power dedicated to this symbolic show, at best, when there are real criminals, murderers, roaming freely.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “"The policy of prosecuting parents who...

Whether one agrees with it or not, the reasoning is logical. If there is a loophole that people with children will not be held, with or without their children, and with or without charge...i.e. that anyone with a child is given passage into the country...then that undermines the law and renders it null and void for people with a child.

You'll notice I didn't say parents. Many who use children to take advantage of the loophole admittedly are not the parents. Does that cause you no concern? Does not the possibility of child abduction/trafficking?

Yes, it takes manpower. More at first, when a longstanding loophole is closed. Still, I'd say there was a good possibility that its effect a deterrent had a good chance at success because it was being addressed under Trump. You can see the deep dive in illegal border crossings at the beginning of his administration. They began to creep up again when the changes he campaigned on failed to materialize.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Whether one agrees with it or not, the...

Not really as the policy of prosecuting otherwise innocent people rather than focusing narrowly on actual murderous "animals," as he's described them, is itself unreasonable.

Recall, that was his whole shtick. He didn't want to stop the innocent from seeking asylum, or those seeking mere opportunity to succeed, only the dangerous criminals.

That has materialized as policy to limit immigration as a whole. He's also rounding up those reporting to DHS, as his admin demanded, despite lying about his intentions. They've also lied, repeatedly, by claiming they're only rounding up "criminals" when further scrutiny revealed the only crime most had committed was crossing the boarder itself. For that reason, I don't trust any of this admin's assessments.

I don't think those are reasonable policies at all.

As you know, illegal immigration as a whole is down and has been for quite sometime. I'm not sure we can give the credit for that to him.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “Not really as the policy of prosecuting...

He has never claimed that he supported giving free reign for border crossers excepting only the dangerous criminal border crossers, Tink. In fact, I believe his proposed wall makes clear, without any doubt, that he also and only supported orderly and legal immigration. You may disagree with that, but you cannot honestly deny it.

The drop from well over 60,000/month just prior to his taking office to less than 16,000/month after is hardly normal fluctuation. I could be mistaken, but I believe the only one that even comes close in the 5-2/3 years graphed above is the period during with Obama's administration was detaining families seeking amnesty.

As you know, I don't trust government period. Trump didn't invent untrustworthy government, nor is his the worst we've seen in that respect. There's still time, for those desperately desiring that, though.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “He has never claimed that he supported giving...

What he did claim, specifically, was that dreamer's needn't worry about being deported.
https://www.politico.com/story/...s-tweet-242436

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-...ca-deal-tweets

Then he rounded them up anyway. That is a fact.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/...b06b9cb916faaa

He did claim a "horrible law" requires kids be separated from their parents:
http://www.politifact.com/truth...rating-family/

That's a lie. He and his admin have lied about their own policies a multitude of times, even going so far as to inject the bible. I live in a border state, I've seen the effects of this firsthand.

Truth is, his ignorance to our immigration policy has been on full display a number of times. I never suggested that he supported open borders only that he's lying about his own policies and he is.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “What he did claim, specifically, was that...

See my response to you below. I'm too lazy to type another when that one is appropriate. :)

Bozette Bozette

In response to “See my response to you below. I'm too lazy...

No worries.

I just wanted to put up his own words. I know he isn't an advocate of open borders, but he also hasn't espoused agreement with repub immigration policy. He hasn't espoused agreement with his own policy.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “No worries. I just wanted to put up his own...

Neither Republicans or Democrats have an immigration policy. Decisions are still being determined by an agreement more than two decades old that was only meant to be temporary until a statute could be enacted. Smh

Bozette Bozette

What of those seeking asylum, though, bo?

Carla Carla

In response to “What of those seeking asylum, though, bo?

What of them, Carla? There are cases of families separated who legally approach and request asylum, and there are legitimate reasons to do so in some cases. Factually, we do not know how often that is happening.

Even far-left Vox, who is highly critical of Trump, admits that:

"There are also some cases in which immigrant families are being separated after coming to ports of entry and presenting themselves for asylum — thus following US law. It’s not clear how often this is happening, though it’s definitely not as widespread as separation of families who’ve crossed illegally. Trump administration officials claim that they only separate families at ports of entry if they are worried about the safety of the child, or if they don’t think there’s enough evidence that the adult is really the child’s legal custodian." [Emphasis mine.]
https://www.vox.com/2018/6/11/1...arated-parents

The news hype is due to illegal border crossers being charged, and thus separated from their children, as is standard operating procedure with American citizens in each and every jurisdiction in the country. People’s heartstrings are being yanked because those doing so want free passage of all with children. That may actually put children in more danger than not holding people with children to the same laws people without are held to. You may disagree with holding people accountable at all, but that's a different argument.

Bozette Bozette

And here I thought you were going to make a point of genuine substance...

Perhaps one about the circumstances under which Randy and Vicki Weaver's children were separated from their parents.

Although, that eliminates the opportunity for yet another "but Clinton..." Appears that's the whole idea. Proceed.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “And here I thought you were going to make a...

I'd say an MP-5 carbine, .40 cal Beretta, tear gas, pepper spray, and a battering ram was substantial enough against a 6 year old child.

Oh , and you could have chosen predicted answer option #2 and saved yourself some typing time.

Him Him OP

In response to “I'd say an MP-5 carbine, .40 cal Beretta...

All I'm saying is, if we're going for examples of overkill, we could do a helluva lot better than a family dispute.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “All I'm saying is, if we're going for...

Certainly, except that I'm not going for examples of overkill. MY example has to do with terrorizing children.
The Democrats are streaming with tears, and lamenting about "children TORN from their parents loving arms" by the evil , child hating Trump monster.

Elian looked pretty damn terrorized in that Pulitzer Prize winning photo, ala the Bill Clinton administration.

Him Him OP

In response to “Certainly, except that I'm not going for...

Your example is a false equivalency. It was a single incident involving a family dispute that was handled with an unnecessary level of force and practically no one disagrees.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “Your example is a false equivalency. It was a...

I never said it was equal. Clinton's goons were far more terroristic to children than President Trump's "ripping from arms", or Reno's setting children afire at Waco.
So much for a "single incident".

Him Him OP

In response to “I never said it was equal. Clinton's goons...

You certainly implied the two are the same, they aren't.

It wasn't isolated, the 90s (under Bush and Clinton) were loaded with domestic clashes.

The more opt comparison would have been Clinton's policies in the middle east. That presented a far greater hardship on families.

I have to ask though, do you intend to spend the next three years doing the "but Clinton" deflection. Wasn't that a liberal thing? You know, like Obama supporters did with Bush?

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “You certainly implied the two are the same...

If the Clintons and their step daughter Chelsea Hubble shoot off their big yaps for the next three years, then YEP!! That makes them current affairs.

Speaking of outdated deflections...funny how liberals have no problems dredging up slavery every chance they get.

Him Him OP

In response to “If the Clintons and their step daughter...

You'd think there was a whole wide world of people out there with all those commenting on current affairs. lol

Uh huh, I don't recall seeing anything about slavery here either...

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “You'd think there was a whole wide world of...

Not today. It doesn't fit the agenda today. Wait...

Him Him OP

In response to “Not today. It doesn't fit the agenda today...

At least you admit it... That's the first step. lmao

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “At least you admit it... That's the first...

Nice try, but I clearly said that liberals have no problem dredging up slavery every chance they get...so anyone with a 4th grade reading comprehension would understand that it would be the liberals using it to fit their agenda.

Him Him OP

Anyone who has, correctly, brought up the fact that parents jailed in America are separated from their children has been blown off. And when it comes to cases such as Ruby Ridge and Waco, there is little sympathy from Americans to be found on either side of the aisle. Sadly.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Anyone who has, correctly, brought up the...

Well, you know where I stand on that... I don't think anyone should be jailed for a crime without a victim. Otherwise, they're the real victim.

Indeed...

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “Well, you know where I stand on that... I...

I agree.

The question then becomes, is illegal immigration a victimless crime? In a world of voluntary associations, the answer would unequivocally be "no". We do not live in such a world, however.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I agree. The question then becomes, is...

By Trump's own self-described position this is bad policy.

That's what's being overlooked here, they're lying their asses off about this zero tolerance (highly unreasonable) policy because even they know how awful it is. He has lied repeatedly about his own immigration policies. Even now they still deny that separation is a policy, as if the semantics aren't transparent. Even now they lie and claim that the law requires this separation... which they simultaneously claim isn't a policy.

For f@ck'$ sake, they aren't even good at lying about it. That's the point, even they know it's indefensible, otherwise they wouldn't lie.

But I would argue that the Constitution which so many on the right claim they wish to preserve doesn't criminalize immigration. Our framers original intent was never to criminalize seeking a better life.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “By Trump's own self-described position this...

Indeed, and he has actually been trying to get action on immigration reform. And if we aren't going to have open borders, then immigration reform needs to happen. People are talking about it now. I sincerely hope that any actions taken are true reform rather than the usual knee-jerk reaction legislation that Congress is notorious for.

The Constitution did not crimalize anything excepting treason. It created a Congress to make law. There is little about America today that reflects the founder's intent, Tink. Damn little.

As far as whether or not illegal immigration is a victimless crime and/or whether it should be illegal at all, those are separate arguments.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Indeed, and he //has// actually been trying...

He is allowing himself to be strung by the nose by repub ideologues because he doesn't know anything about immigration policy. That's obvious to anyone who has listened to him speak about it. If he even recognizes this policy is out of his wheelhouse, that alone would be an accomplishment.

Whether or not the country does reflect that is irrelevant to the fact that these are the espoused principles of the very people pushing these policies. They can't have it both ways.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “He is allowing himself to be strung by the...

I disagree. But only time will tell, and we shall see.

Are you calling the right hypocrites??? SAY IT ISN'T SO! HA HA HA! 😂

There's plenty of hypocrisy to go around. Both sides are steeped in it...and even those of us who try to keep ourselves in check are (admittedly) guilty of it time-to-time. By all means, call 'em out.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I disagree. But only time will tell, and we...

I'm calling Trump and his whole admin hypocrites, that's really the only fair word for doing the very things for which they accused others. (Door to door domestic raids, raising taxes, anti-capitalist economic policies, extending domestic spy policies, killing innocent civilians, expanding the wars etc. etc.)

Only one side is in power, the govt. is overwhelmingly controlled by so-called republican, conservative, outsider, constitutionalists.

That's what I'm doing, calling them out on it, and I did the very same thing with Obummer. I said to Obama supporters "Stop pointing back at Bush," the same as I've told the broken record "but Clinton" people to accept the criticism of Trump is mostly justified.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “I'm calling Trump and his whole admin...

I mostly agree with that...

I no longer pay much attention to what political labels are used. There are several definitions for each term, and all in use today have morphed from the original.

When it comes to the petty BS, I agree. There are legitimate comparisons to be made between administrations sometimes, imo.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I mostly agree with that... I no longer pay...

I'm just flatly over hearing "but Clinton" every time Trump is rightly called out for being every bit the rhino and swamp creature most other reps / dems have been all these years.

It would be one thing if they were occupying an office, but like GW, they're jobless. A year in, it's all Trump now.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “I'm just flatly over hearing "but...

I hear ya, Tink. Problem is, Clinton and Clinton supporters have also kept that conversation going. As have Obama supporters. As have Trump haters. Comments and posts calling Trump "the worst president ever" invite comparisons. Just sayin'.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I hear ya, Tink. Problem is, Clinton and...

Of course, they're butt-hurt. I get that. I just don't accept it as a default deflection in reasoned debate on current policy.

I love Trevor Noah's description when he called her "The unemployed grandmother of the forest." lol

True. He also invites criticism when referring to himself as the best president ever. But bottom line is, he chose the position, it comes with intense public criticism.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “Of course, they're butt-hurt. I get that. I...

It's a bit difficult to have "reasoned debate on current policy" with either unreasonable people or otherwise reasonable folks holding unreasonable premises that are then extrapolated into even more unreasonable conclusions/statements/assumptions by themselves and others. Then, of course, there's the fact that we cannot all agree on what constitutes "reasonable".

It does come with the job. Like it or not, it doesn't end when they leave office. They continue to put themselves in the public eye, to varying degrees, but more than that, they chose to become a chapter in American history. And things they did or did not do while in office have lasting effects, and will continue to be the subject of debate.

As much as we might like to exclude the petty **** posts and arguments...people have a right to post them.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “It's a bit difficult to have "reasoned...

There's a pretty well established set of givens in reason and argumentation.

Is her commenting on the findings of an investigation of her investigators injecting herself into the public, or is it a response? I don't like the lady, but she didn't ask for the IG report. If we had discovered something related to her job performance that was yet undiscovered, I'd probably agree. But that report wasn't about her, it was about discrediting Comey. You are referring to her public response to that report, right?

Sure, all can have opinions. But not all opinions are valid.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “There's a pretty well established set of...

In debate, yes, but not in opinion. These forums are merely opinion sites.

I wasn't speaking of her, in particular, but they, as a collective.

True.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “In debate, yes, but not in opinion. These...

I've found a surprising number of reasonable people online :)

I thought you meant her with this:
"Like it or not, it doesn't end when they leave office. They continue to put themselves in the public eye, to varying degrees, but more than that, they chose to become a chapter in American history."

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “I've found a surprising number of reasonable...

I have, too. I've also found a surprising number who, while otherwise reasonable folks, become totally unhinged over certain politicians. ;)

No. I meant "they"...as in any and all of them.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I have, too. I've also found a surprising...

Yep, sure do...

Got it, you can understand my inference in the past-tence which was used though, right? That's how I define they also. fwiw

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

You really sound like a lunatic.

hootowl hootowl

In response to “You really sound like a lunatic.

Hit a nerve? Simmer down, you'll live... lmao

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In Miami, the headline of the Herald with that photo echoed a Taco Bell ad. Imagine this photo with large type underneath it saying, "DROP THE CHALUPA!"

trooper trooper

It took the threat of weapons to rescue Elian from his kidnapper, so he could be returned to his father.

Flrdsgns Flrdsgns

Why are the parents braking the Law?Do the parents really care?Some parents sent there kids to the border by them selves.

hootowl hootowl