Why do you think a website would let abandoned accounts linger for years and years? Should a website close/delete an account if there has been no activity in over a year?

To misrepresent their numbers to potential advertisers, of course!

Carla

Because the site would appear dead if there were only 8 people on it.

Tanor_FauxSynysterGates

Dunno, but they should get rid of abandoned accounts

LoganBudwickSunny_the_skepticZonkeyBallsProdigalSonRooster

Dunno and don't care.

Piper2StarzAboveJerryHendrickson

Other

Will_Janitortrooper

Piper2StarzAboveWill_JanitorZonkeyBallsProdigalSonRoosterSynysterGatesWonderMan

They could, I mean, it would free up space on their servers. I work at a library and if someone doesn’t use their account in 5 years, we delete their account from the system.

At the same time, there have been a few examples of older users unexpectedly returning, and I don’t mind that old posts and questions are still here. But if a site wants to clear up space, they can do what they want.

Logan Logan

Doing that makes it look as though there is a larger membership than the approximately 20 really active members.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “Doing that makes it look as though there is a...

So, option 1. I feel the same.

trooper trooper OP

In response to “So, option 1. I feel the same.

Sorry - I usually don't use the choices.

Linnster Linnster

Logan Logan

We had the same problem at blurtit when I was a mod there. Many old accounts that were never used in the years that I was there but the owner wouldn't delete them for the same reason! To make it look like there were more members than there actually was. You couldn't delete your account there unless you contacted a mod or the manager to do it, which we rarely did.
Like Logan said: It would free up space on the servers.

Rooster Rooster

they keep them for the good rating of website they say that look we have so many users ha ha I think that would be the reason why they are still around here

WonderMan

Whether to consciously misrepresent their numbers to potential advertisers, or just laziness; I wouldn't expect old accounts on any site to be removed anytime soon.

trooper trooper OP

I have no idea, since I'm not aware of any of the old accounts on this site. But I guess it's up to management to decide what's best for their site.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I have no idea, since I'm not aware of any of...

What's best for the site and what's best for management aren't always the same thing.

trooper trooper OP

I agree with Linn, they leave old accounts up to increase the number of members. I think three years should be the maximum time allowed, then delete them.

Honestly don't blame them, I would do the same.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

It just doesn't matter at all.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

It's not totally unheard of for people to return to a site after being gone more than a year and for them I imagine it was nice for them to still have all their content but I'd say it's the rare case. Sites could benefit from cleaning the user directories up a bit. Send out an email confirming the user still wants the account and delete in 30 days if no response or if the user opts out .

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon

In response to “It's not totally unheard of for people to...

I have seen people come on here and comment after being gone for 4 years, but I am thinking you are making a tongue and cheek comment about another recent returnee. (hello)(hello)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “I have seen people come on here and comment...

My comment wasn't pointed at anyone...can't say I'm aware of a recent returnee.

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon

Well, it's actually option 4, but that sounds rude to a newly returned member. (maniac)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Some sites do it to keep up the numbers to make the site look bigger than it is. That's why some sites also make it next to impossible to delete your account.

Thedudeyouhatetomeet Thedudeyouhatetomeet

Maybe.... the site administrators just hope the members will become active again, and don't wish to make that more difficult should they choose to. :)

For whatever reason this site does not delete or close accounts that have been inactive for a year a more, I don't personally see it as a they should thing. Not unless a member requests it and it isn't done, anyway.

Piper2 Piper2

I can't seem to remember, how to get the full list of users from this date listed on the site (I should ask Blue, but he never answers to me, because I have rabies)... But here are some from the early days, most of which, if any, are active at the moment - it's obviously a PHP script, that has been "forgotten" as the site has developed. Not removed, which is sort of a lazy way to do business...

http://www.amirite.com/search.p...ers&q=list

P.S. Since I'm drunk, I can't get bothered, but has anyone ever seen even one of these people on the site?

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

No, I've never seen any of these people on the site.
I don't know how to pull users up by a date.
I just look at the profile, when they signed up, when they made their last comment.

trooper trooper OP