urwutuisRoosterVicZincTanor_FauxJerryHendricksonPiper2LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundredWonderManTomboyJanetMashaTrish

Vrendowl

Piper2JerryHendricksonMashaRoosterWonderMan
By 2050 There Will be More Plastic Than Fish in the Ocean

Explained by urwutuis...

That's messed up. Plastic kills millions of ocean animals every year and when the ocean dies we die. Coke makes 128 billion plastic bottles a year. The US tosses 100 billion single use plastic bags and 500 million plastic straws a year. Do I really need my cheese slices individually wrapped? I wonder if we should stop using so much plastic.

I'm trying. I recently started using the reusable shopping bags, I buy my soda in cans, reuse ziplock bags, recycle everything. Maybe if people wake up we'll clean that mess up.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

There must be some way to keep that crap out of the ocean. I watched a good special about it on NatGeo and that slick out there is huge! Fish and mammals are trapped and die in it by the thousands! I sure would donate to people who try to clean that mess up!

Rooster Rooster

In response to “There must be some way to keep that crap out...

Rooster someday I hope there will be a company that decides all that plastic should be rounded up and reused to make something. A lot of the bottles and bags that are recycled end up as flooring ot benches. If only they could devise a way to make a home from nothing but plastic. The too many people will always need homes.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “I'm trying. I recently started using the...

Me too. I'm sure you've noticed it takes quite a bit of effort. The stuff is everywhere.

urwutuis urwutuis OP

In response to “Me too. I'm sure you've noticed it takes...

I pile the recycling in the basement and, when the wife yells at me, take it to be reprocessed.

Those plastic water bottles and grocery bag are everywhere for sure. Our store recycles their bags but people are so lazy, they just toss them in the trash. I don't understand how anyone can not care. Actually, they throw everything in the trash.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “I pile the recycling in the basement and...

Jerry Maine recycles plastic bottles does your state? I wish it as a federal law. Even if some lazy person throws a bottle on the ground there are people who walk around all the time collecting them for the recycle refund 5 cents for every bottle or can. Sadly most are homeless people who use the money for butts and beer.

In response to “Jerry Maine recycles plastic bottles does...

Yes. Plastic water bottles have a 5 cent refund. Hornell doesn't have homeless people.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

We have three different bins here. One for garbage, one for Green waste and one for recycling. They're pretty strict about that here.

Rooster Rooster

I have a huge pile out back that I keep hidden from "she who must be obeyed" until I develop enough motivation to take it to recycle.
About every 6 months.

urwutuis urwutuis OP

They put all of that stuff in land fills in my area.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

I know the plastic has got to stop. Wonder why everyone has decided only plastic is good for every reason. I have been noticing eggs are in plastic now - Iskip that type and get the regular mushed cardboard box. Then I always ask for a paper bag, if i forget my reusable bags. more fits in there, than a hundred plastic bags.

Better than the ocean but that plastic sticks around not composting like paper will. Even the plastic trash bags are a hazard. I have a dumpster in my community so I dump out my plastic bags and reuse them. That way all the cardboard and paper I throw out can eventually turn into soil again.

As grim as it sounds, this couldn’t be further from the truth.

Masha Masha

In response to “As grim as it sounds, this couldn’t be...

Please elaborate

urwutuis urwutuis OP

Not if people start to actually stand together to make a positive change instead of remaining inactive and indifferent.

Vrendowl Vrendowl