City bills Parents $132,000, after 5 year old damages glass sculpture.... <b><u>But Governments SHOULD NOT Have Unprotected Expensive Artwork, Amirite?</u></b>

ZolfietrooperLoganBasicvividlyprosaicTrish

Nobody :)

Lil_PrincessMaze
City bills Parents $132,000, after 5 year old damages glass sculpture.... But Governments SHOULD NOT Have Unprotected Expensive Artwork, Amirite?

Explained by Zolfie...

The piece of art, “Aphrodite di Kansas City,” was on display at an Overland Park community center. The art was unprotected AND uninsured free for anyone to touch and even had a step-up right in front of it, as you'd often might see for little kids. The 5 year old wraps his arms around it (his mom thinks to hug it), and the art tipped onto the 5 year old, he controls it and attempts to put it back, when (to zolfie) the large glass sculpture breaks off from the base and falls to the ground.

The court should award a percentage of responsibility to the parents and the rest the city. Neither should clean up on this one. The statue could be considered an attractive nuisance and the city should have put up safeguards for it.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

I love that the adults seem to be making no move to stop the kid, reprimand the kid, yell at the kid...

trooper trooper

In response to “I love that the adults seem to be making no...

You mean in the video? (there is a video in the article, I couldn't pull it out and just post it)...

I don't think those ladies even noticed the kids until it was too late... and in the video the dad (or adult male) seemed to be alright with the kids touching the art (and the art thing has a step there that looks like it's for little kids to step on)

Zolfie Zolfie OP

In response to “You mean in the video? (there is a video in...

If the city was...stupid enough to put the step stool, then they take any responsibility. The child was acting as anyone may (taking a selfie or whatnot), the fact that it was unsecured to the base makes it a safety hazard to anyone nearby. What if it had mashed little Bucky's head? Or fallen over on the WWI veteran rolling by in his wheelchair?

Sorry, KC, you screwed.

trooper trooper

In response to “If the city was...stupid enough to put the...

I don't understand leaving a $10K piece of uninsured artwork completely unprotected (you can see case over a few of the other items) and not guarded. I don't even see a sign that says "Don't Touch the Artwork" which is bare minimum... then a step stool added.

This just seems like horrible way to hold expensive artwork... with anyone clumsy around, much worse with children possible around.

And this thing was $132K... aren't you going to protect it somehow? Insure it and don't touch signs as minimum!

Zolfie Zolfie OP

I don't think it takes a lot of imagination to anticipate that children might want to climb something like that, and they made no effort whatsoever to make the situation childproof. I mean, it's a community center, obviously there will be children there.

It could be argued that by placing a large, unprotected glass sculpture in an environment where they knew there would be children, they, through negligence, created a dangerous environment for children. It's only through sheer luck that the kid wasn't cut to shreds when that thing broke.

They should get a lawyer and hit back.

Maze Maze

Two points, the mother should have stopped the children running around the statues and it fell the second time he moved it...the statue should have been secured so that it could not have been managed....

JD JD

In response to “Two points, the mother should have stopped...

Yes, at minimum make it so it can't not have been picked up / moved by a 5 year old (or 10 year old for that matter)... and insured.

Zolfie Zolfie OP

In response to “Yes, at minimum make it so it can't not have...

I still think the mother who sat about 20 feet away should have told him to stop touching the statue...IMHO....

JD JD

In response to “I still think the mother who sat about 20...

Do we know that one of those women were their mother? ... at first I thought so, but the kids and the women never interact like you would think a parent would, before or after.

Zolfie Zolfie OP

In response to “Do we know that one of those women were their...

When I saw it played on the English news, they said she was the mother....all mothers don't react the same...when we was in Spain on the beach a little boy and his little sister got into trouble in the sea and me and my two son in laws, pulled them out and the boy told us where his mother was sitting , leaning again the wall at the back of the beach, we took them back and she never even thanked us, just told the kids off...it takes all sorts...

JD JD

In response to “When I saw it played on the English news...

Alright, I didn't realize one of those was the mother.

I thought there would of been some sort of interaction, which there didn't seem to be on cameras in the article playing... where clearly they talked with a male some (which I assumed was the dad)

Zolfie Zolfie OP

City is lucky the art didn't fall on the kid!
I don't think the city has a winnable case.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “City is lucky the art didn't fall on the...

Great point, when he first lifted it, all the weight went back on him, and I thought the boys was about to be knocked off balanced and if he was, then the sculpture and it's full weight would of landed on top of him.

I'm not sure if the Parents are completely innocent, but the city certainly were negligent of common sense in protecting their 130K+ artwork... and the parents shouldn't be forced to pay the entire bill.

Zolfie Zolfie OP

ozzyboy ozzyboy