If you can't spot fake art, it's as good as genuine.

that_guytrooperDWFTrish

deusvult

azlottoSynysterGates

Explained by that_guy...

These people are not buying art, they are buying stories.

Not when you're reselling it, it's not.

For displaying and story telling it probably is. And I'd probably prefer fakes for cheap prices over real for expensive prices... that way I won't care as much if it gets damaged.

Zolfie Zolfie

"it's as good as genuine." - to the owner. But I wouldn't pay the price of the original for the fake.

In some art forms the forgeries are becoming popular and there have been forgeries of the forgeries! I just saw this the other night on American Pickers. They were looking at circus advertising and the one they looked at the were interested in because it looked like one that was known to be a forgery. Turned out to be a forged forgery!

Budwick Budwick

Not when you're reselling it, it's not.

Zolfie Zolfie

I can usually tell it's original, especially when the artist doesn't thoroughly paint over the numbers.

azlotto azlotto

Well, you know something is skeewampus when art isn't worth anything until the artist dies.

Ted DeGrazia was very popular when he was alive. His plates were selling well at 30 bux apiece. Within a year after his death they had been bid up to 1300 bux apiece.

that_guy that_guy OP