There's an old saying that death comes in threes....I've seen it happen many times.   Have you experienced that in your lifetime?

Piper2AdaZolfie
There's an old saying that death comes in threes....I've seen it happen many times. Have you experienced that in your lifetime?

Explained by StarzAbove...

I lost one of my best friends this past week, in fact her funeral was yesterday. I'm certainly hoping that the "three" thing doesn't happen to anyone else that I know. But there are three celebrities that have died recently. Anthony Boudain...CNN, Charles Krauthammer...Fox News, and a drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott, who I'm not familiar with. RIP!

It does seem that way. I was saddened to learn of your loss.

VicZinc VicZinc

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “It does seem that way. I was saddened to...

Thank you, she will be missed dearly.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

Yes, and in the period of 3 years. I lost my aunt, then my brother and my great grandfather. I was young, 12 when my brother passed, that was my introduction to death / loss. I'm still processing it to be completely honest.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “Yes, and in the period of 3 years. I lost my...

So sorry for your loss. I've had it happen many times....maybe not kin but good friends.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

In response to “So sorry for your loss. I've had it happen...

Likewise. The one positive is it puts things in proper perspective, makes you reevaluate how and upon what you place your highest values, gives you greater appreciation for the time you have with the people you love.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “Likewise. The one positive is it puts things...

Exactly, and live each day as if it's our last.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

YES. I felt that clarity about what is really important most profoundly when my mother died 28 years ago.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “YES. I felt that clarity about what is...

So sorry for your loss, my friend. Losing a mother is so painful, one never forgets.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

In response to “So sorry for your loss, my friend. Losing a...

Thank you. I've lost many loved ones since, but that was my first experience with such an overwhelming grief.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “Thank you. I've lost many loved ones since...

Same here....I had five sisters only one remains.
But I still miss Mom the most.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

In response to “Same here....I had five sisters only one...

I had one sibling, and he died 2 years ago, shy of 3 days.
I don't exactly miss my mom anymore, but I think about her a lot.

Piper2 Piper2

That's awful Piper, sorry for your loss. I understand that feeling.

My Great Grandparents raised my siblings and me in our youngest formative years. Most of our 'family' time as kids was with them and when we technically lived with my parents, we were actually in the care of my brother. At the time they passed, it felt very much like losing parental figures. That's incredibly traumatic no matter your age. You're forever changed. My value placement as it relates to possessions was especially altered after that.

It does wake you up, in a sense, to how fragile it all is... How we are. The things we hold on to, or let go of, how we spend our time, what we invest in. It's all such a delicate balance even at our best selves.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

In response to “That's awful Piper, sorry for your loss. I...

That loss was around half my lifetime ago, but thank you, Tink. My father was written off to die during that 2 year period too, but he defied the odds. Seeing and feeling his grief, was just as painful as my own. If I'd ever had any delusion that life was fair, it definitely ended then.

I was not a child, though. I was spared that particular kind of trauma of losing people so important to me and so loved, when I was as young as you were.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “That loss was around half my lifetime ago...

That's the truest struggle I know of, watching a life in pain and being incapable of remedying their suffering. Boy howdy, there's no justice in this place. I understand completely the bitterness people have about it. I try not to be resentful because it just doesn't accomplish anything, but I fully understand it.

Although, true to their nature, I was not only made better by their love, but also by their passing. That's humbling, but mostly I'm just grateful for them as I'm sure you are too :)

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

I've noticed this. But if you go onto like say Wikipedia and look for the deaths page, you might see at least three people you might remotely recognise every day. Notability counts there, so it's not just anyone. Personally, i don't think i've noticed threes, my paternal grandmum died in 2008, my maternal grandfather died in 2002, my paternal grandfather died in 2012.

Unfortunately I never knew either of my grandfathers. But was close to my grandmothers. An uncle i was close to, died in 2014. Not close to my dad's side at all much, so i wouldn't see threes there.

But, celebrity deaths do sometimes make threes strangely. Avicii (I knew Avicii's stuff), XXXtenacion (hardly knew him, but i saw him last year in the list of Spotify Grammy Award songs), Vinnie. Considerably, the magic numbers i see more often is 7, 13 and 14.

Tanor_Faux Tanor_Faux

In response to “I've noticed this. But if you go onto like...

It does happen quite often, doesn't it?

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

No, not with loved ones dying. Really bad stuff happening in a relatively short time period, for sure. That has often included the death of a being I loved...yes.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Starz.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “No, not with loved ones dying. Really...

I've heard that as well. Maybe the number three should be deleted from our vocabulary...you think?

Thanks Piper, I really miss her.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

I'm very sorry bout your good friend

Yes I've seen it happen with celebrities and some group of people, though nothing close to me (luckily).

I still remember one time, two celebrities died, and people were saying that they come I three, I was very much doubting it... then it happened. A short time later another one died, and I jokingly said they come in threes.... but yeah it happened again... then a short time later another celebrity died... and I was like, please no, please no, not again, and it happened.

And well, 3 sets of 3 died in like 4 to 5 weeks.... it was nuts. I usually love seeing and noticing pattern but I hated that one.

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “I'm very sorry bout your good friend Yes...

Thanks Zolfie, I especially miss her today....I always sat with her in church.

I've seen it happen a lot in threes....sometimes celebrities, and other times friends of mine. Sad.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

In response to “Thanks Zolfie, I especially miss her...

I'm sorry to hear that. It's always hard (hug)

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “I'm sorry to hear that. It's always hard (hug)

Thanks, it truly is.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

I never heard any such "old saying" and it makes no sense. Death happens in any number you care to choose. I don't understand why you choose "threes".

that_guy that_guy

In response to “I never heard any such "old saying"...

I didn't choose it, it happens more times than not. Just because you didn't hear it, doesn't make it false.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

In response to “I didn't choose it, it happens more times...

Well! I'm glad we got that cleared up!

that_guy that_guy

Yup. Two good friends and My Stepdad all in one year.

DW2 DW2

In response to “Yup. Two good friends and My Stepdad all in...

So sorry for your loss.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

Ridiculous ... Death comes in 105 per minute

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun