Do you side with the plaintiff or defendant in this lawsuit?

DandyDonWill_JanitorRoosterSynysterGates

Explained by Mutt...

As much as I like music, I must admit that I don't even know who Ed Sheeran is. Regardless, I'm not taking sides here...Just curious as to the opinion of others on the site.

I think I side with the defendant on this one. There are just a few minor differences in the two songs and probably just enough to get the case thrown out.
I can't think of how many songs have been copied and played by other groups or individuals.
I suppose that it would have been best for Sheeran to have contacted Gaye's agents for permission if there were any rights to the song but I don't know if there was or not!
Seems like it's not the first time either.

Rooster Rooster

I think suits proving that artists copied other artists are difficult to win. Unless the music appears to be a note-for-note quote, there's no proving that it wasn't simply a coincidence, or at most a subconscious influence. In general, I don't sympathize with suits from money-hungry "estates" of dead artists looking for any song that might bear a slight resemblance to another. It's a product of sue-happy America and something I look down on with little apology.

There are only so many beats and chord progressions in the world to build your song around. Some of them are bound to be similar.

Logan Logan

Rooster Rooster

They don't sound much alike to me. I'd have to go with Sheeran.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

I love Marvin's music, but I'm with the defendant on this one. It's a completely different melody with completely different lyrics. Tempos and chords are interchangeable in music.

JanHaskell JanHaskell

Ed is too famous over here to copy someone's music' ....it's similar but not enough to lose the case....I go with Ed....

JD JD

I have a horrible ear for music... but I usually side with the defendants as of course music sounds like other music... if you keep saving it all as all successful things sorta do versions or copy cats, something that sounds good in 1970s might still sound good in the 2020, with some tweeking.

Zolfie Zolfie

Well TBH, they don't sound a like but I am 100% behind copyrights. If Marvin didn't give his blessing, then I'm for the law suit. JMO

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “Well TBH, they don't sound a like but I am...

I don't think Marvin has an opinion on this one, but I understand your point.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

I'll have to side with Ed here, those songs are pretty different. Though if you think about it, many artists "copy" off another, due to the fact there's a finite amount of chords and styles. GOing to sound similar in many ways. There's many songs i've heard that sound similar, but if Ed used the same lyrics and actually stole more than a few samples (many artists do sampling, which is a few seconds of another song implanted into a mix, which is legal), then it's on Ed's fault.

Tanor_Faux Tanor_Faux

My ears say it sounds like a ripoff.

What the courts have to say,...I have no idea.

DandyDon DandyDon

The Supremes vs The Beatles. 3 notes. The Beatles had 3 notes that were also used in a Supreme's song, and it cost the Beatles millions, and NOW they call it "sampling".

https://youtu.be/uwIGZLjugKA

trooper trooper

Is that even allowed

KaliMint12 KaliMint12