Will_JanitorZonkeyBalls
Is it irrational to say that god created the universe?

There are not many other answers....mere mortals cannot create universes , they can only be created by a higher being...one day we will know for certain...

JD JD

Depends on what you believe in. At this day and age religion still has influence.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

The Universe is part of what GOD is.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

JD JD

I don't know about irrational, but it seems to be unprovable.

Linnster Linnster

To some people it is, but to others it is a very strong belief.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

I find it a strange question
not unlike the face expression I got from a school teaching NUN
when I told the story of Kitchi-Manitou needing help from Sky Woman

Different people have different ways of telling the story of how this world was created...sort of how the Protestants and the Catholics put a spin on their versions of Bible stories.

maybe I should retell the tale
I was told when I was very young

I do like my sky at night

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

Well, it's not just ONE verse - which the prefix "uni" refers to.

I have no idea, what or who caused the Multiverse to pop up. May have been the Christian God, some other god or perhaps we're just living in a bubble of some tiny hyper-non-dimensional goblin's pee pond. Who the hell knows...

I'm agnostic and although I have some answers, there will always be more questions - that is the nature of our being.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

I suppose that depends on your definition of God...

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

The whole creates parts of the whole? Why would that be irrational?

DW2 DW2

Be more specific what god? Zeus?

Fizzyoid Fizzyoid

Do you know what "irrational" means? How exactly does your definition apply to the rest of the question?

A ratio is the relationship between two quantities. "Irrational" means without any such relationship, or in practical terms, without logic. There is no connection to the rest of your question.

that_guy that_guy

Given this definition of irrational (https://www.merriam-webster.com...y/irrational):
: not rational: such as a (1) : not endowed with reason or understanding
I would say yes. It's a belief independent of evidence.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “Given this definition of irrational...

There is no connection with belief or evidence. In this topic we have only one item: Genesis 1:1. Two items are required before you can discuss the relationship between them.

And it doesn't matter if you believe it or don't. God said it, that settles it. Those who reject God are on their own, not even Genesis 1:1 going for them.

that_guy that_guy

In response to “There is no connection with belief or...

Okay. Let me try this again..

A belief is a conviction based on personal faith. They cannot be disproved or even contested in a rational or logical manner.

Your remark that it doesn't matter if you believe it or don't. God said it, that settles it. is an example of a belief.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “Okay. Let me try this again.. A belief is a...

You don't seem to make any distinction between principles and beliefs. I know a lot of people who think anything they have decided to believe is a law of the universe. But we need to keep track of what the words mean so we know what we are saying.

Example: "A belief is a conviction based on personal faith." "Faith", "conviction" and "belief" are the same word, so that is a circular definition. (Faith has some other meanings in English, but they are of uncertain reliability.)

that_guy that_guy

It's no less rational than attributing misfortune to black cats.

urwutuis urwutuis