Property taxes are EXTORTION!  <strong>Amirite?</strong>

ChetB71379

VicZincBudwickDWFPhilboydStudge

Nobody :(
Property taxes are EXTORTION! Amirite?

If you refuse to pay, they threaten to seize your property , that belongs to YOU, and sell it at auction. If you resist, they will send a SWAT team to kill you. Why is this not extortion?

Property tax on a home valued at 400k is $3,106.00 @ year in my area,

SynysterGates SynysterGates

How much are they

JD JD

I think having to pay a fee to go outside is extortion. What are we paying for? To keep the local city councils from granting building permits to subdivisions?

Diego Diego

SynysterGates SynysterGates

Stop paying your taxes, I'm fine with that, but then don't use the public roads paid for with tax dollars. Never call the police or fire department, also paid for with tax dollars.

Flrdsgns Flrdsgns

In response to “Stop paying your taxes, I'm fine with that...

I gave extra to the fire co when we had a small fire. There should be extra fees related to some of their services. You do know that we all pay approximately $2.00 a month, among other fees, for 911 services on our phone bills. We also pay extra fees so "rural" people can have phones. Look up all the fees that are tacked on to the phone and that is in addition to property taxes.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

In some states / jurisdictions property taxes are ridiculously high. I don't live there as a result.

I live in a jurisdiction in which property taxes are reasonable to cover expenses of local government.

Live in conservative community!

Budwick Budwick

Property taxes are rent.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Property taxes are rent.

We don't pay a property tax, we have council tax about £1300 per year which covers police, fire and ambulance..waste disposal, roads, parks ...

JD JD

In response to “We don't pay a property tax, we have council...

If, as is done here, you lose your house for non-payment...it is rent.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “If, as is done here, you //lose// your house...

You can only lose your home if you don't keep up payments on your mortgage...that's if you have a mortgage

JD JD

In response to “You can only lose your home if you don't keep...

Wrong. If you are two years behind on your property taxes here...you lose your house...end of story. Even if you have paid off your mortgage. You can buy a house and still lose it over a couple of bad years.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Wrong. If you are two years behind on your...

How am I wrong, I'm referring to England .".that sucks that you own your house and can lose it...here it can't happen

JD JD

In response to “How am I wrong, I'm referring to England...

I specified "here".

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I specified "here".

I know you are talking about the USA but it's obvious I can only talk about England ...sorry it seemed to annoy you

JD JD

In response to “I know you are talking about the USA but it's...

No problem, I can only speak to here.

Bozette Bozette

I just paid mine. now I can live in my shack another year.

ChetB71379

I have no problem with you not paying property taxes so long as you aren't using govt. services.

Don't come crying when the fire dept watches your house to burn down while putting out your neighbor's though.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

Taxes are what you pay to live in civilization

DWF DWF

Property taxes here are causing people to leave PA and move to FL, NC and even MD. They had an article about raising taxes in the local rag and about a week later the county employees got a "much needed" raise. Connect the dots.
What is really interesting is that they run articles all the time about the rents being too high or the paychecks aren't enough but I have never found anyone who investigates the cause - high taxes. I have a rental property (that was trashed and is still off the market) and it would take 5 to 6 months just to pay the property taxes on the place.

ozzyboy ozzyboy