“Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech.” ― Noam Chomsky

MazeVicZincTanor_FauxDandyDonPhilboydStudgePiper2Neanderthal_MomdoerMashaThinkerbell

Nobody :)

PhilboydStudgeVicZincDandyDonThinkerbell

Explained by Maze...

That's why I promote posts I disagree with to the HomePage.

VicZinc VicZinc

So i take it that you're against all the stuff trump has said about Kaepernick then?

DWF DWF

In response to “So i take it that you're against all the...

Trump is entitled to express his opinion, just as Kaepernick is entitled to express his opinion.

Complaining that the NFL shouldn't allow players to kneel during the national anthem isn't the same as going out and silencing those players by having them banned from social media.

I haven't heard anyone on the right suggest that Kaepernick should be prevented from speaking his mind on social media.

Maze Maze OP

VicZinc VicZinc

I've always been an advocate for free speech, but it is a slippery slope. Take the **** industry, they have a right to say and act any way they want, that's freedom of speech, but has it been beneficial to the country on a whole? Just one example, I'm sure there are many more people can come up with.

Flrdsgns Flrdsgns

I have an unpopular view about that, because I agree with the Noam Chomsky quote.
There are varying shades of what people can freely say with impunity of course...always has been.

Piper2 Piper2

it's why I don't Block anyone

say what you want
because I damn sure will

one is Free to listen and agree or get Offended
their choice

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

You do lnow that potus has deemed all but obvious conservative media as the enemy of the people...right?
Same concept of stalin and goebbels.
If he was still just a businessman voicing an opinion, that would be just that...an opinion. But as potus, it is an administrative stance. And those are usually acted upon.
Free speech for trump is only valid if it agrees with his views and ignores his actions.

Carla Carla

In response to “You do lnow that potus has deemed all but...

So a president doesn't have the right to call out the media when he believes they're being untruthful? Or is it only okay when the left does it?

Headline: Obama rails against fake news
http://thehill.com/policy/techn...inst-fake-news

Headline: Obama Calls His Critics "Enemies"
https://www.thenewamerican.com/...ritics-enemies

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service apologized Friday for subjecting Tea Party groups to additional scrutiny during the 2012 election, but denied any political motive.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/...ction/2149939/

Maze Maze OP

I'd fight hardest to protect the offensive speech, it's informative. I like to know who I'm dealing with.

What I don't support is the absurd notion that free speech is consequence free. Just as one has the right to say something, another has the right to challenge it. Furthermore, we also have the right to disassociate ourselves from those spewing offensive horse-crap.

No one, and I mean no one has the right to a platform from which to speak.

ForkNdaRoad ForkNdaRoad

Wait what Stalin?! Mr. Joseph "I will put you and your family in a gulag" Stalin was pro free speech?

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Wait what Stalin?! Mr. Joseph "I will put...

Of course he was!   Just look at these young Pioneers, freely speaking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8LnlzQyVJg

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “Of course he was//!//   Just look at...

Oh my history teacher would love this. She's an avid "lover" of communism as in she'd rip them to pieces. She's the nerd who read "forbidden books" during the communism regime in Bulgaria, these little pioneers as you call them were called "Комсомолци" Komsomols in English, basically the brainwashing organization that dealt with the growing new generations.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “I'm sure she would like this one too...

Ah, the "APPROVED" works of art.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Ah, the "APPROVED" works of art.

I had a co-worker who went to college in Communist Poland. Naturally, courses in Marxism were mandatory.

He told me that about 10% of the students were true believers, and another 10% went along with the content because they thought their prospects for a cushy government job would be better. The rest of the students regarded it as nonsense, but of course wrote what they were supposed to write on exams and essays in order to pass the courses.

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “I had a co-worker who went to college in...

I'm glad that the fanatics weren't many. Of course people would tolerate the nonsense, it's wise to tolerate it enough to get a cozy life, "live to fight another day is a good motto in this case. Luckily the USSR didn't last very long.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “I'm glad that the fanatics weren't many. Of...

Yeah, well unfortunately, the 75 years that it did last was too long for its tens of millions of victims.

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “Yeah, well unfortunately, the 75 years that...

Stalin.... never cared for his countrymen. Not even his own son. But enough seriousness here's some comic relief https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT2z0nrsQ8o

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

I can assure you that in Stalinist Russia you were completely free to say anything Stalin agreed with.

Maze Maze OP