How Much Of Your At-Home Music Collection Is On Vinyl? Do You Still Own A Turntable To Spin Them On?

I Love Listening To My Tunes On Vinyl....

BlewynanifailFredrik

I Have LPs But They're Packed Away Somewhere...

VicZincFyrefoxxather

Turntable? I Still Listen To 8-Track Tapes...

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

8-Track Tapes? I Still Spin My Tunes On A Hand-Crank Victrola

Nobody :(

Other.....

JanHaskellTanor_FauxJustJimColo

Other

DWFPiper2ZonkeyBalls

Piper2primeiroZonkeyBalls

I have a decent collection of vinyl. I'm a newcomer to it, since I'm 19 and obviously didn't grow up with it, but I love the sound, and it's become a hobby of mine :)

TheobaldHospitaller TheobaldHospitaller

TheobaldHospitaller TheobaldHospitaller

In response to “I have a decent collection of vinyl. I'm a...

I've heard some older, die-hards say on several occasions over the years that vinyl still produces the best replay sound quality as opposed to other mediums.

You're a younger person-- what say you? Is it even possible that vinyl reproduces a recording better than say, an MP3 player or some other digital medium?

Sir_Whatz Sir_Whatz OP

In response to “I've heard some older, die-hards say on...

With the right equipment and a good recording, yes, I do think there is more detail in a vinyl recording than a digital recording. It has a lot more room for imperfections, like cracks and pops, distortion...a worn record won't sound as good as a new record, cartridge has to be aligned properly, record has to be clean...but there is something magical about a vinyl recording that just isn't there in a digital one. :)

TheobaldHospitaller TheobaldHospitaller

Don't have vinyl sadly nor a turntable! But one of these days I'll get one, there's some great USB turntables to look into. Lots of 80s/90s Trance is great on vinyl as well. Discogs.com is the place to go for vinyls as well.

Tanor_Faux Tanor_Faux

In response to “Don't have vinyl sadly nor a turntable! But...

I have a small collection on vinyl, too. I still love listening to the hissing and popping on every song.

Sir_Whatz Sir_Whatz OP

I still have about 50 old albums. I transered all the muic to digital though. Sometime I should probably pass the vinal off to someone who would apprieciate them more than I ever will again.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

I'm a godless Millenial who listens to everything on either iTunes or Spotify

DWF DWF

All the vinyl I bought before 1986 I still have and I bought a new turntable to play it

Blewynanifail Blewynanifail

I have about 500 GB of stuff, some of which are converted from vinyls. Mostly MP3/FLAC on my external drive.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “I have about 500 GB of stuff, some of which...

That's a LOT of music. I checked and I have 211 gig and its 48,000 songs. Hell, I only know all the words to 5 songs. They were available for DL in Iraq so I just filled up some USB drives. Don't even know 90% of what I have. I do have 3 terabytes of movies though. <s>

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In my Music Folder, I have 22.7 Gigs, but I wonder how much I have saved in Spotify... gunna be well over that if I downloaded all the songs in my playlists or songs I saved there hehe. XP

Tanor_Faux Tanor_Faux

I still have a turntable, but my wonderful old records all went missing during a move many years ago. I really miss my collection, especially the 45's!

JanHaskell JanHaskell

I was given a large sorta hard folder of really old '78's some years ago of Big Band music. This prompts me to go buy a turntable....

Freeranger Freeranger

In response to “I was given a large sorta hard folder of...

Do they even make a turntable that will play 78s?

Sir_Whatz Sir_Whatz OP

In response to “Do they even make a turntable that will play 78s?

Actually, they do. Little harder to find but they're out there.

Freeranger Freeranger

In response to “https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4a/10/99/4a10993...

an old Victrola would be even better

Freeranger Freeranger

I still have most of my vinyl albums, and even the little book with sleeves, that holds the 45's I acquired when I was very young. I have a turntable also, but the sound quality of it is not great....and I've wondered if getting a different needle for it would help that. The turntable is nothing close to the ones I've had in the past.

I do still play them sometimes though, the old records.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “I still have most of my vinyl albums, and...

Are we talking Elvis Presley old or Bing Crosby old? lol

Sir_Whatz Sir_Whatz OP

In response to “Are we talking Elvis Presley old or Bing...

No...can't that I've ever owned an Elvis Presley or Bing Crosby album, myself. Just for you though...I'll share a song on one of the 45's I still have in that little book with sleeves... :)
https://youtu.be/E3meEmDpaDU

Piper2 Piper2