Did banning Alex Jones from social media violate his human rights? Let's see what the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights has to say...

Yes

MazeRooster

No

TrishWalt_OReagunFlrdsgns

Other

Nobody :(

Rooster

Explained by Maze...

United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Article 19: Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

From what I've heard ... Alex Jones regularly violates Article 1 of that same document.

"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are
endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a
spirit of brotherhood."

And Article 7: "All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination. "

As to your theory that he has a Right to use other people's media for his message, that is contrary to Article 12: "1. Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as in association with others.
2. No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property."
You can not deprive me of my property, by requiring me to let somebody else use it.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

Really? I cannot go to the newspaper and demand a column to speak my mind. And...if i choose to buy ad space, the purchase of that space would be subject to the newspapers discretion.

Carla Carla

In response to “Really? I cannot go to the newspaper and...

You're attempting to create false equivalence: news organizations have their own writing staff, social media companies exist for the purpose of giving members of the public their own "columns" to speak their minds. Clearly those companies are violating both the spirit and the letter of Article 19 by denying Alex Jones the right to air his opinions.

Maze Maze OP

In response to “You're attempting to create false...

Alex jones is a self described preformamce artist. His shtick is not opinion. It's often times wild and unsubstantiated conspiracy, used to create fear and doubt.
But, your quote said any media. I dont believe that means he can use anyones outlet he chooses. I believe it means he can create his own.

Carla Carla

In response to “Alex jones is a self described preformamce...

This is a great illustration of the paper thin virtue of the left. You're all about human rights, unless it's mildly inconvenient for your political goals, then it's a triviality that can be wiped away in a moment.

You can sit there with the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights in front of you and deny that it applies to someone you disagree with, when we both know you'd be crying bloody murder (and rightly so) if they did that to someone you agree with.

Maze Maze OP

In response to “This is a great illustration of the paper...

I am indeed "all about" human rights, maze. And you generalize. I really dont have a problem with a business taking issue with blabber that insults it's intellegence and compass. If the owners, of whatever site that kicked him off, were nutjobs that believe his blather, and kicked off a conspiracy spewing liberal, i would feel the same.
And....what walt said.

Carla Carla

In response to “I am indeed "all about" human rights...

Jones is a liberal actually. And you've just proven in triplicate that you don't give one single f**k about the right to free speech. If you don't see the danger in what they're doing to Jones, you're blind. He's the canary in the coal mine. If they can silence him they can silence anyone, for any reason, including you.

Maze Maze OP

In response to “Jones //is// a liberal actually. And you've...

The government has nothing to do with this. The "they" you speak of is a company.
Jones has every right to say what he pleases. But it is up to him to find an outlet that will carry his "show", or create his own. Facebook and youtube havent been around that long. What did people do before?
And...you are wrong. I do care about the freedom of speech. But if i relied on social media and was not welcome on certain sites, because of my message, i wouldnt have a leg to stand on. I would find a different outlet.

Carla Carla

In response to “The government has nothing to do with this...

Are you going to stand with these corporations when they silence voices on the left?

Maze Maze OP

In response to “Yep.

Duly noted.

Maze Maze OP

This isn't about a newspaper.
[Who reads newspapers anymore?]

It's about social media, open to everyone, .... except Alex, and others that don't think the way the media site does.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “This isn't about a newspaper. [Who reads...

Amirite is a social media site, yet you break the TOS rules and you may well be banned. So much for your argument bud

Flrdsgns Flrdsgns

In response to “Amirite is a social media site, yet you break...

Does Apple, YouTube, TOS etc, include ideologies that are allowed / not allowed?

THAT I would like to see!

Budwick Budwick

Oh, boo hoo, stop whining bud

Flrdsgns Flrdsgns

There are other sites.

Carla Carla

In response to “There are other sites.

You just remember what you've said here when they're silencing people you support.

Maze Maze OP

In response to “There are other sites.

There were other bakeries!

Budwick Budwick

In response to “There were other bakeries!

I did not comment on that.
But be aware....i know you cannot decriminate based on ****, religion, race. You can descriminate if someone comes in, riles your customers, and insults your sensibilities. Oh, yes...if the customers lifestyle is against your religion. If those decisions bankrupt you, that is the path you took.

Carla Carla

In response to “I did not comment on that. But be aware....i...

Alex was suspended for inciting violence.
Of course, there's nothing to support that.
Did they suspend Maxine Waters too?

And only for seven days.
What's up with that?
Is that the attention span of the left?

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Alex was suspended for inciting violence. Of...

Seems to be the average suspension here.
Is that the average attention span of the general social media population?

Carla Carla

In response to “Seems to be the average suspension here. Is...

Here?
Where is here?
Amirite?
I don't think Alex was ever here.

Budwick Budwick

And there were other bakeries. That likely would have been my path. But i would have let the community know.

Carla Carla

I know nothing of the story, yet he can say his opiion to anyone he wants, maybe not onasny media he wants.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

What did he do to get banned? I've only seen one video from him.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “What did he do to get banned? I've only seen...

Alex Jones' Infowars is considered one of the main factors that got Trump elected, so they want to silence him before the midterms. That, and he's got this habit of giving people the unvarnished truth, the establishment would prefer if the public only had access to media organizations they control.

[Slate] The 9/11 conspiracy theories predate 9/11. On July 25, 2001, in a two-and-a-half-hour broadcast of his Infowars TV program on a local public-access channel, Alex Jones laid out what he saw as the history of government-manufactured false-flag attacks, from the Gulf of Tonkin incident that Lyndon Johnson used to draw the United States deeper into the Vietnam War to the first attack on the World Trade Center in 1993 and the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995, which Jones claimed was government-manufactured terrorism orchestrated to help Bill Clinton boost his poll numbers and suppress civil liberties. As he compared Oklahoma City to the Reichstag fire, Jones flashed the numbers for the congressional and White House switchboards onscreen. "Call the White House and tell them we know the government is planning terrorism," he said. " 'Bin Laden' "—he used air quotes—"is the boogeyman they need in this Orwellian phony system."

Six weeks later, on the day the Twin Towers fell, Jones began his broadcast by declaring that, as he had predicted, the Bush administration had taken part in a staged terror attack. "I'll tell you the bottom line," Jones said. "98 percent chance this was a government-orchestrated controlled bombing."

http://www.slate.com/articles/n...come_from.html

Maze Maze OP

spirit of brotherhood."

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “From what I've heard ... Alex Jones regularly...

Oh really? So everyone who fails to "act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood" should be banned from social media? That's about 90% of the people on social media at one time or another. Does CNN's reporting about the president exemplify a "spirit of brotherhood"? Kick 'em off. How about Stephen Colbert? LOL! Kick that piece of crap off the air. Oh, better kick me off too, I just called Colbert a piece of crap.

In terms of Article 7, if Jones is guilty of incitement to discrimination, better kick off everyone on the left who promotes discrimination against conservatives. That's most of them.

Social media companies are not being deprived of their property when they allow people to use their platforms, that argument is stupid. They profit from people's participation in their platforms.

Maze Maze OP

In response to “Oh really? So everyone who fails to "act...

My point was: If you're going by the UN document to quote his "Rights", you have to use the whole document.

It's like those who quote Leviticus against homosexuality - but conveniently leave out the rest of the Bible prohibitions mentioned (like mixing fabrics or eating seafood).

And yes - it IS "depriving" someone of the use of their property, when you force them to use it a certain way. Including forcing them to allow specific individuals on. That goes along with "Freedom of Association", which American courts have recognized as an individual Right (and yes, conferred to private organizations).

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “My point was: If you're going by the UN...

Hmm, so if the phone company doesn't like the content of your conversations, they should be able to kick you off?

Maze Maze OP

In response to “Hmm, so if the phone company doesn't like the...

Red Herring.

But yes ... the phone company CAN disconnect your service, if you violate their "terms of service".

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “Red Herring. But yes ... the phone company...

So if you express political opinions over the phone which the phone company disagrees with, they can disconnect your service? That's news to me.

Maze Maze OP

In response to “So if you express political opinions over the...

I'm sure it is.
I'm also sure you know what a "Red Herring" is.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “I'm sure it is. I'm also sure you know what a...

I don't think it's a red herring at all, in fact I think it's a perfect analogy. Nobody has to watch any channel on YT or FB, you can even block them so you'll never see any of their content. So when I go to a FB page or watch a YT video it's voluntary, like picking up the phone and calling someone. As such, when FB or YT blocks a channel because they disagree with the content, it's exactly like the phone company listening in to your calls and shutting your phone off if they don't agree with the political views you're expressing.

Maze Maze OP

Twitter, Facebook, etc...are privately held companies. As such they can set their own rules with regards to who is allowed and who is not.

TV and radio are different. They are regulated by federal laws, ie the FCC.

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

There is no point in discussing "rights" because nobody here actually knows what a right is.

Right means straight up, square, correct, the strong arm, a legal privilege. The common meaning to all those things is strength. You have a right to life, but only if you are strong enough to cling to it. You have a right to the space you occupy, but only if you are strong enough to defend it. You have a right to own property, but only if you can guard it from all attackers. You may obtain the services of a champion to defend your rights, or create a government for that purpose, but of course the champion's loyalty might become a concern, and governments always eventually renege on the contract.

Discussing "rights" in any other context is simply nonsense.

that_guy that_guy