Honest

hootowlTanor_FauxMashaSunny_the_skepticZonkeyBallsRoosterSynysterGates

Sexist

DWF

Other

PhilboydStudgePiper2LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundredSofiaJerryHendrickson

Piper2AdaMashaZonkeyBallsRoosterSynysterGates
“Most Men prefer gifts that are useful.. Most Women prefer gifts that are pretty”. Is this statement “Sexist” or simply Honest?

Let's see, I'm good friends with 3 girls from my university class and for our birthdays we skipped all the surprise stuff so we just say what we want, it's more practical instead of getting something that one might not like so much and having to pretend you love it. One of the girls chose a dress, the other a teapot and the third chose a handbag, I chose a gaming computer mouse.

Why bother labeling things like this and looking for a reason to take offense.
There's nothing wrong with saying women like pretty things, women care about their appearance far more than men on average, perhaps for them pretty is practical? Not to say that this is universal, but so what if this could be true for a large part of people?

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

And perhaps more glaringly it's incredibly boring. Why anyone finds collapsing the infinite variety found in humanity into bad sitcom stereotypes appealing is beyond me

DWF DWF

In response to “And perhaps more glaringly it's incredibly...

It's not a stereotype.

Although there are a lot of women, who find - let's say a screwdriver - a handy present (my sister would)... Still most women fancy something with a bit more glare. It's a fact. I need a new set of screwdrivers, so either give it to me as a late birthday present or **** off.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

haha One year I asked for a fishing rod and reel for my birthday....best gift ever.

But I also love perfume, and jewelry as gifts.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

I don't know if it's an "honest" statement. Most women I know appreciate both kinds of things as gifts. Most men I know also do.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “I don't know if it's an "honest"...

True. I like a nice watch. But is that two birds with one stone? :)

DW2 DW2 OP

In response to “True. I like a nice watch. But is that two...

Me too. Yeah...kind of. :)

Piper2 Piper2

Let's just say that most people would find it honest and overly sensitive feminist would find it sexist.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “Let's just say that most people would find it...

What do they not find sexist? Anything? Nope, according to them anything that you could ever possibly say is sexist unless you chant the liberal mantra.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “What do they not find sexist? Anything?...

and even then your sexist, not only are they attacking others, but they are tearing themselves apart as well its hilarious

deusvult

I would say it's just a generalization.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “I would say it's just a generalization.

What praytell in your opinion is the difference between a Stereotype and a generalization? :)

DW2 DW2 OP

In response to “What praytell in your opinion is the...

All stereotypes are generalizations.
Not all generalizations are stereotypes.

Perhaps I should have chosen "Sexist". I guess it didn't seem sexist to me because the generalizations, while based on ****, didn't seem nasty.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

This statement is not "sexist" nor is it "simply Honest"...because we all as individuals have our own likes when it comes to gifts we receive no matter our gender........
As the Financial Planner/CEO of my family, I personally as a female like when I receive a USEFUL gift or a gift certificate ..whereas my husband who as no interest or clue about our family's finances, is more sentimental, therefore he likes to give gifts with meaning behind his gift giving, therefore buying me an early Christmas present one year when our 3 kids were little (a Mothers ring) NOT realizing that by him doing so, that he in fact had spent the MAJORITY of our Christmas budget that year on his "sentimental" gift/early Christmas present on me, to let me know how much he loved and appreciated me being a stay at home mom.....but oh man, that was a tough Christmas season for me...on one hand I loved the THOUGHT behind his gift to me, but being secretly pissed off at him for having no interest at all in our family's finances, thus him actually STRESSING ME OUT making an expensive purchase for ME (who's not even into jewelry) because someone must have told him that ALL women love jewelry.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “This statement is not "sexist" nor is...

My wife and I are just like you in that regard. We don't waste money on ridiculously expensive decorations. Practicality rules.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “My wife and I are just like you in that...

I agree 100% :)

I do not want material THINGS/gifts from my husband, my children, my siblings or my friends feeling they have to BUY me THINGS as "proof" as to how much they love me, because I know how much they love me.....for me, a heartfelt homemade card or a heartfelt Hallmark card that they read KNOWING the words in those cards would resonate with me, means so much MORE to me than any THING they could ever buy for me.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “I agree 100% :) I do not want material...

Still though, if anyone wants to buy me a 2018 Corvette Z06, they can have at it.https://youtu.be/9BgA5kMSsDM

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “Still though, if anyone wants to buy me a...

Lol :)

Now that I'm older, I do regret selling my 1988 Firebird(that I bought brand new in 1988 when I was 25) selling it in the late 90's when I CHOSE to become a later in life stay at home mom....my 4 kids know all about my 1988 Firebird(lol), but most importantly they all know that I bought MY dream car brand new WHILE I was a hard working PRODUCTIVE single working mom of their older brother...thus they all know that THEY have to WORK HARD for the material THINGS that they WANT.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “Lol :) Now that I'm older, I do regret...

I'm pretty sure that I'll never own a car that costs more than a house. A nice Stingray from the early 70's should eventually happen though. You gave away your age. You're my age or a year older. I was far too wild to have money for a hot car by then. A year later, I met my wife and that changed me completely.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “I'm pretty sure that I'll never own a car...

erry the person could have bought the car used?

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

Of course we have a double standard. That's because there are two sexes.

that_guy that_guy

It's just dumb, actually. Useful, pretty and comfy are my main points when getting stuff. It's all depends what I'm buying. It's normally a mix.

Sofia Sofia

Buying myself a 350Z on Tuesday. Useful? Maybe a little. But it’s pretty. And really fast. :)

DW2 DW2 OP

I prefer useful gifts, ‘nuff said.

Masha Masha

I cI can only answer for myself - I am a practical woman so even if flowers are nice sometimes a long lasting useful gift is better. and will last longer. When I was married my husband knew to give me things I could use and I still have many of that set of cookware, until someone took a frying pan and moved out with it. Never let anyone stay in your home - they are hard to get rid of and think they have the right to steal because in my case I scrimp and save so it appears I have a lot, but if I spent my money on butts beer or eating out I wouldn't have anything.