• Topics:Thoughts and IdeasBias
  • Featured on the home page on Sep 16th 2018
  • Post Of The Day on Sep 16th 2018

VicZincTrishLorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundredKB_soberlikekesha

SynysterGatesRoosterDandyDonMazeWill_Janitorhootowl

Will_JanitorZonkeyBallsRoosterSynysterGates
Walking downtown I nod and smile at almost everyone in this diverse city, blacks, Hispanics, those wearing hajibs, turbans, yarmulkes, but I am prejudiced, I fear and avoid those wearing red hats especially those with confederate flag teeshirts. I know this is intolerance on my part and I am trying to accept them in my heart, but it is hard. I associate that style of dress with hatred and right-wing terrorism.

What about Dimebag Derrell's guitar?

or

Lynyrd Skynyrd huge confederate flag “Heritage, Not Hate” during concerts.

or

The General Lee

Accept it or not, it's history and it won't go away.

JMO of course. Remember "every opinion matters".

SynysterGates SynysterGates

What about Dimebag Derrell's guitar?

or

or

The General Lee

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “What about Dimebag Derrell's guitar?...

It does, thanks for yours.

I missed that music, but I don't listen to it (or watch those shows) because I don't approve of the real meaning behind those symbols, that is the belief that skin color determines worth. Like it or not. A swastika has history too, but a guy with one tattooed on his arm is making a statement about his belief in white supremacy. Sorry.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “It does, thanks for yours. I missed that...

There's definitely some truth to that, especially the tattoo's.

People could feel the same way about Turbans and Hajibs, it reminds them of Islamist terrorism or radical Islamic terrorism. I know it's only groups, but many people see it differently.

NOTE: This isn't how I feel or reflects in any way my thoughts and beliefs.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

If you take time to notice, the Stars and Bars wasn't the only flag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__kQX12S9YI

Rooster Rooster

In response to “If you take time to notice, the Stars and...

And racism is a real belief, but I don't support it.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “And racism is a real belief, but I don't...

Nor do I but I do study the tactics of both sides and the battles. Part of my gaming work.

Rooster Rooster

In response to “Nor do I but I do study the tactics of both...

I am admitting my bias, I think that is healthy and helps me see my own faults.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “I am admitting my bias, I think that is...

That's OK Vic. I understand quite well.

Rooster Rooster

This is good post Vic and I hope it get's a lot of comments and not turn into a political debate.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

I don't nod and smile at very many people, and that includes those wearing confederate flag teeshirts,.... if that's what they want to wear, so be it. Matters not to me one way or another.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I don't nod and smile at very many people...

They say that all it takes is a few good people to do nothing.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “They say that all it takes is a few good...

What do you suggest we do?

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “What do you suggest we do?

You are among those already doing it.

We say it, loudly. We post, we protest, we make it known that we find evil unacceptable.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “You are among those already doing it. We...

I've posted my feelings many times on here, I think everyone knows how I feel. and all it got me was a lot of hateful comments and personal attacks. It's been very exhausting.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I've posted my feelings many times on here, I...

They hate it when we use their method against them.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “They hate it when we use their method against...

You're right. I always know when I've hit a nerve, out comes the personal attacks. lol

StarzAbove StarzAbove

Walking down the street, I smile at everyone.
Unless they just simply look like a mad ****, that wouldn't crack a smile, no matter what.

Doesn't matter to me what their skin color is or if they're wearing a Malcom X, Black Lives Matter or whatever else kind of hat they choose to wear..

There is one significant difference in the subject of hat wearing, you brought up.
You can wear your hat, whatever you choose to wear and feel safe about it.

But if someone might choose to wear a simple red hat, saying "Make America Great Again".
They have to think about it twice because they could be beaten by a group of people that claim to be the most tolerant people on Earth.

Don't give up...coming out of the closet can't be easy for you.
Admitting you're a racist... is a start to the path of your possible cure..

Maybe you can start off slowly... by nodding and smiling at the blacks, hispanics etc.. that don't agree with your politics, even though they're not white.

Yea there's plenty of blacks, hispanics and other people that agree with those hats.

Don't fool yourself, they just chose not to wear them because they know there's those very tolerant people like yourself out there.

DandyDon DandyDon

In response to “Walking down the street, I smile at...

Sure. And lots of people would like to wear swastikas and are afraid to.

And lots of people will never admit, even to themselves that they have prejudice, glad I am not one of them. I have faults.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “Sure. And lots of people would like to wear...

Well, if you decide to wear your swatstika, you don't have to worry about me..unless you physically try to do me something.

DandyDon DandyDon

In response to “Well, if you decide to wear your swatstika...

I 'll let you know

VicZinc VicZinc OP

I don't nod and smile at everyone on the street. If they do it first, I'll do it back, but that's it. But if they're wearing certain propagandas clothes, chances are I'll walk by without even a nod.

I have plenty of bias. I don't like racists, sexists, xenophobes, homophobes, religious fanatics, and all sorts of the kind. Any group of people that their belief is focused on pushing someone else below them because "we're better/superior/righteous", newsflash: I won't be okay with it. And if someone wears clothes depicting such things, I will not be smiling at them. In fact, I will be prone to dislike them right off the bat.

Sofia Sofia

I don't believe that Vic , you only smile at those wearing " I love Trump " badges...

JD JD

It sounds like you have a case of Trump Derangement Syndrome. There aren't individuals or gangs of people in MAGA hats terrorizing people, you literally have nothing to fear from them, so your fear is not based in reality, it's based in fantasy. Who put that fantasy in your head? Probably the "mainstream media", the same organizations that have lied America into every war in your lifetime. If you're going to fear something, fear lies, fear yellow journalism and the hysteria it creates, THAT is genuinely dangerous.

Maze Maze

In response to “It sounds like you have a case of Trump...

He does like whipped up drama....that's for sure.

DandyDon DandyDon

Yes, media does have a way of making us fear people based on the actions of a few members. So does POTUS- making some think that all Mexicans are rapist or all Syrians are ISIS.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “Yes, media does have a way of making us fear...

Vic, was it POTUS saying that, or was that just the way yellow journalists characterized what he said? Because I've heard both what Trump said and what was reported by the press, and it seemed to me that Trump made valid points and the media mischaracterized what he said due to their political bias and willingness to mislead their audience.

Maze Maze

Why put red hats, Confederate flags, and swastikas in the same category? Believe it or not, a MAGA hat does not equate to racism.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “Why put red hats, Confederate flags, and...

There's no drama in the truth..

DandyDon DandyDon

In response to “There's no drama in the truth..

To them,if it's done by a conservative, it must be racist, sexist, or homophobic. Nothing is farther from the truth.

I see Liberals purposely dividing the country as Conservatives try to bring it together, constantly.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “To them,if it's done by a conservative, it...

I can't do anything about the way they chose to think.

Main Stream Media can make people that follow it, believe in ridiculous things.

It's their goal to keep blind followers foaming at the mouth with hate.

I don't have hate in me, like that.

DandyDon DandyDon

guns
are you tolerant of guns?

check these babes from NEW YORK CITY

New York City’s Women’s Machine Gun Squad Police Reserves, July 26, 1918. Photo shows Captain Elise Reigner practicing the Lewis Machine Gun which is to be sent to the front. Miss Helen M. Striffler in the side car/rear seat, and Mrs. Ivan Earasoff driving the motorcycle. The killing range of this gun is 2 miles, and it fires 600 to 800 shots per minute

me?
I got no problem with bears
only about 14,000 located in this state
Raccons
I hate their guts with a passion

I'll never like the raccoon
never ever

Soon..... How soon?
very sooon

as far as Islam liking on me
I cannot see that happening

Muslims Beat British Boy, Force Him to Kneel, and Try to Convert Him to Islam…
https://triggerreset.net/2018/0...-him-to-islam/

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

Comparing red maga hats with swastikas and Confederate flags is hysterics at their liberal worst.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “Comparing red maga hats with swastikas and...

The same as comparing mothers with their babies to MS16, or Syrian refugees to the Saudis who committed 9/11. Too many people give the president a pass for doing the things that they would call me to the carpet over.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “The same as comparing mothers with their...

I must have missed those comparisons, but have at it.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “I must have missed those comparisons, but...

I just thought I'd throw that in. Just to see if the "hysterics" label only applied to "liberal" folks or if the equivalent comparison we see and hear daily also count as "hysterics".

As a side note: the root of Hysterics (of the womb) implies that woman with active wombs (i.e., of child-bearing age) have wildly emotional and exaggerated reactions. I always found that an interesting factoid. I prefer the term "irrational" - which is how I view my bias in this matter.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “I just thought I'd throw that in. Just to...

In that case, perhaps some of the more hysterical liberals of whatever gender should seek to have an emotional hysterectomy. (hehe)

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

Vic why would you not smile at every person? If they are old ladies in a group they could be the red hat club. That exists and it has nothing to do with politics

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

Every one of us is biased. Whether that bias rises to the level of any of the various "isms" and/or "phobias" depends on the individual. Regardless, bias does not preclude tolerance. Provided one is not imposing their bias upon others, it does not rise to the level of intolerance.

Can't say as the first thing I notice about people is what their hat or shirt says or depicts unless it really stands out. (Red hats do not particularly stand out here, as people do/have always worn baseball caps of all colors.) I am generally first drawn to the person - their face, expression, and demeanor rather than their clothing.

I also know that many things people take offense to have very different meanings to different people. You are offended by a MAGA cap, others see it as a move away from the establishment and status quo, and thus a good thing for America. You are offended by the Confederate Battle Flag, to many it is a symbol of their heritage, while yet others view it as a symbol of state's rights. To automatically associate either with "right-wing terrorism" is disingenuous.

Many who are offended and intolerant of MAGA caps and CBFs are precisely those who call out others for their intolerance of Muslim clothing. Even folks who have no problem with hajibs, only niqabs and burkas, which hide the face and prevent identification. Ironically, I never hear them call out Muslims for intolerance of all things Jewish, or Jews intolerant of Muslims.

That an unsavory group has adopted a symbol does not mean we must allow them to own it, despite what many think. Yes, many symbols have become associated with a particular group, but symbols should always be taken in context, and if no context is apparent, one should not be assumed. The swastika has a history spanning many cultures, continents, and religions for thousands of years. The Celtic Cross, and several Anglo-Saxon and Nordic runes have also been co-opted, as have other symbols. That doesn't mean we have to cede them. They are a part of our history and heritage. They are inscribed on our ancient architecture and represented in historical artwork. They are passed down in belief systems and have great meaning to many peoples worldwide.

The "okay" hand sign has gained a reputation over the past year and a half as representing white supremacy. That came about due to a provable hoax by 4chan autists. Yet its use long predates that not only in general use simply meaning "okay", but in sign language for the deaf, and scuba diving for safety as well. More recently, and also predating the hoax, it has been used by III %ers and Trump supporters who, contrary to what some believe, are not all white supremacists. Yet a woman working for Kavanagh was recently accused of displaying this "white power" sign at his confirmation hearing despite the fact that she is of Mexican and Jewish heritage, and a young man was just removed from his position with the coast guard for making the sign, whether intentionally or not, all due to outrage prompted by a hoax.

Too many of us make broad assumptions that have no basis in reality. It's really not surprising that we do so, as many organizations, special interest groups, and institutions do as well, and the media parrots those assumptions as factual.

"Nationalist", "white supremacist", "separatist", "Nazi", and "alt-right" are neither interchangeable nor do any have a single, all-encompassing definition today. Each of those terms can and will be construed to always be horrible by many, but a bit of study and interaction with people who sport such labels (by choice or imposition) proves otherwise. As an example, Abraham Lincoln was indeed a nationalist, white supremacist, and a separatist. Yet he is credited with holding this country together, as well as bringing the institution of slavery to an end in America. He was also known to show respect for blacks and he never wished them harm. Still, he thought whites superior to blacks, and advocated for their return to Africa upon emancipation.

Israel is a Jewish state, and while they have a significant minority of Arabs, they tightly control immigration. As does Saudi Arabia, Japan, China, and other ethno states. It is only in the west that such policies are vilified, primarily by western leftists, but also by Jews, Arabs, Asians, and Muslims...who practice exactly the opposite of what they demand of us.

Perhaps it would behoove us all to try and look past the surface and symbolism to the real people. Sure, a few will be beneath contempt, but shouldn't we prove the truth of that before condemning? Everything is not always as we are told, and while we may not agree with the beliefs of others, should not we at least examine them before jumping to conclusions? Sometimes people hold opinions we could never agree with, yet simply understanding why they think the way they do is enlightening. Or we could just accept that there will always be people with which we disagree, some of whom we will dislike, but we can choose to mind our own business as long as they aren't infringing upon our rights.

As always...JMHO

Bozette Bozette

In response to “//Every one// of us is biased. Whether that...

Works for me. Too bad you didn't also point out that: Democrat , Liberal, Marxist, Socialist, Progressive, Communist, etc. are not interchangeable and do not have single all encompassing meaning.

I was carefully, I thought, to make it clear that this post was about me and not others.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “Works for me. Too bad you didn't also point...

I may have done so, had it been relevant, it was not.

Yes, you did. Correct me if I am mistaken, though...is this not an opinion site? An OP makes a statement/states an opinion/asks a question, which prompts people to weigh in with their opinions, which sparks discussion...which leads to those bigger numbers so near and dear to your heart.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I may have done so, had it been relevant, it...

Indeed, and thank you. But you might remember I play for "votes" because the site doesn't count them toward the HoF. You seldom vote. So be it.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “Indeed, and thank you. But you might...

I have seldom voted because either there is no clear "Amirite?" opinion to agree or disagree with, or because I find myself partially agreeing, but not fully. For the most part, I just don't bother anymore.

Bozette Bozette

Wow! You are my hero!

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “Wow! You are my hero!

😙

Bozette Bozette

The least you have to fear.Is the ones with the red hats.

hootowl hootowl