+214

If in the United States the most popular sport was soccer, they'd have a great team and they'd win the World Cup every 8 or 12 years, amirite?

Spains avatar Sports
0 47
The voters have decided that Spain is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

We'd win at least 1-2 but you're over-hyping their ability.

CatMans avatar CatMan No Way +2Reply
@CatMan We'd win at least 1-2 but you're over-hyping their ability.

Well the US is so big that if all of the best athletes played soccer I think they would be really good

Dannies avatar Dannie Yeah You Are +2Reply

Dannies avatar Dannie Yeah You Are +1Reply

You don't think if these 11 guys had played soccer from the day they could walk, the US wouldn't be a dominant soccer power?

Goalie-LeBron James

Defense-Kevin Garnett, Andre Johnson, Matt Kemp, Amare Stoudemire

Midfield-Deron Williams, Derek Jeter, Derrick Rose

Attack-Chris Paul, Chris Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald

That team would be ridiculous, no denying it.

CapedCrusaders avatar CapedCrusader Yeah You Are +1Reply
@CapedCrusader You don't think if these 11 guys had played soccer from the day they could walk, the US wouldn't be a dominant...

They would suck. What the fuck lol.

None of those guys have any foot coordination. Just cause you're good at basketball, football or baseball doesn't mean you'd be good at soccer.

@CatMan They would suck. What the fuck lol. None of those guys have any foot coordination. Just cause you're good at...

Are you fucking serious? You're saying the best athletes in the world couldn't learn a simple sport like soccer? You clearly don't know very much about sports and athletes if you think the best athletes in one sport couldn't be great in another sport.

I just find it funny you're saying guys like Chris Paul and Larry Fitzgerald wouldn't be great at soccer.

CapedCrusaders avatar CapedCrusader Yeah You Are -3Reply
@CapedCrusader Are you fucking serious? You're saying the best athletes in the world couldn't learn a simple sport like soccer?...

Soccer isn't a fucking simple sport.

I'm not saying all of them would be bad.
Soccer is a simple sport. Ehh not at all.
Soccer is much harder than Basketball. You aim and shoot. Our hands were made for that. You've probably never played soccer higher than beginner level. It's pretty challenging.

Larry Fitzgerald might and they are definitely not the best athletes in the world. Soccer players have a hell of a lot more endurance than almost any other type of athlete.

Just cause you're good at one sport doesn't mean you'll be good at another. Get that through your head.

I know a lot about sports. You must not know much about soccer at a professional level. You think some of the best offensive and defensive linemen would be amazing ballers? HELL NO.

The players you listed above could never be as good as players such as;

Leo Messi, Christian Ronaldo, Arjen Robben, Wayne Rooney, Didier Drogba, Frank Lampard, Carlos Tevez, Kaka and Totti.

Soccer is about skill most of all not athleticism.

CatMans avatar CatMan No Way +4Reply
@CatMan Soccer isn't a fucking simple sport. I'm not saying all of them would be bad. Soccer is a simple sport. Ehh not...

A few things:

What's harder? Shooting a ball into a a goal with an area of less than 2 square feet or shooting a ball into a goal with an area of 192 feet?

I quite soccer in 6th grade after the "A" team got too serious and competitive, so no, I haven't played it past that, but I do understand how the ball and players move on the field. I've never played football either and I know more about the sport in general than a lot of the football players at my high school.

I never said offensive or defensive linemen would be good "ballers". You know why they wouldn't be? They're not amazing athletes, they're strong and big and that's about it. (With the exception of a few like Julius Peppers, who could play any sport and dominate)

Your last line just confuses me. Isn't skill just athleticism that has been refined through practice? You can't deny the American players are extremely, extremely athletic. If they had been played since they could walk, like I said, that athleticism would be turned to skill.

Also, what makes you say the Americans could never have been as good the ones you listed? Do you have any logic behind that?

CapedCrusaders avatar CapedCrusader Yeah You Are -1Reply
@CapedCrusader A few things: What's harder? Shooting a ball into a a goal with an area of less than 2 square feet or shooting a...

Well I play football, soccer and I wrestle.

Football players are great Athletes but they aren't all that skilled. Skill isn't always something one can acquire, most are born with some level of natural talent.
The only type of football players that I can image that would also be great soccer players are running backs because of their agility, speed and their foot coordination.

Basketball players aren't that great of Athletes. They don't cover that much area and they have a lot more breaks than soccer players. Basketball dribbling is far easier. Soccer pro level dribbling requires much more intense speed.

Also your other argument is invalid. A basketball court is far smaller than a soccer field. 50% of the time someone is dunking....you can't really miss a dunk. The other 50 they shoot 3's and 2's which doesn't go farther than 30 feet away arched from the hoop. They have 1-2 people guarding them most of the time and on rare occasions the whole team....5 people.

A soccer field is like 120x80 yd and the penalty line is 12 yd or 36 feet away. Most goals happen from farther away than that and there usually 2-4 defenders guarding plus a goalie. It's much easier to ste...

CatMans avatar CatMan No Way +1Reply
@CatMan Well I play football, soccer and I wrestle. Football players are great Athletes but they aren't all that skilled...

There are major flaws in your argument. If that's your definition of "skill", then what is athleticism? Almost everyone would agree that athleticism is something is born with and cannot be taught.

And running backs and wide receivers both have generally equal amounts of agility, speed and foot coordination. The only reason some are put at RB and others are put at WR is basically their body type and how soft their hands are. AJ and Fitz could easily be RBs if they were a little smaller and CJ could be a wideout if was taller. And I only named RBs and WRs so those are the only ones that matter.

And you've clearly never played basketball and are biased against the sport. I'm not saying soccer dribbling is easy, but generally, when you're dribbling in soccer, there's only a guy a few yards away and then when he closes the gap you pass it off. It's much, much more common for basketball players to take on the another player one on one. Whenever a point guard is dribbling past halfcourt in the NBA, the defense is within a foot or two of him. Any time he's in the 3 point arc, there's contact.

And I'll give you the argument that soccer players are in better shape than a lot of other ...

CapedCrusaders avatar CapedCrusader Yeah You Are 0Reply
@CapedCrusader There are major flaws in your argument. If that's your definition of "skill", then what is athleticism? Almost...

I've played Basketball, I don't find it that challenging but I guess it's safe to say:

Everyone is good at their own particular sport but just because they give enough time to it. Each player could be good at something else if they give the dedication.

Maybe Drogba could have been another Kobe Bryant.
Maybe Usain Bolt could have been an amazing running back or striker.
Maybe Lebron could have been one hell of a defender.
Who knows.

@CatMan I've played Basketball, I don't find it that challenging but I guess it's safe to say: Everyone is good at their...

I'm sure Drogba could be great at other sports, not so sure about Bolt because there are tons of guys who are fast but not necessarily athletic. And yeah, Lebron would be a lockdown defender.

But given the dedication, I'll put the US's top 11 against any other country's 11 any day of the week.

@CapedCrusader I'm sure Drogba could be great at other sports, not so sure about Bolt because there are tons of guys who are fast...

Idk I think they'd be good but Brazil, Spain, Netherlands and Germany would still be better. USA would be on par with Uruguay.

CatMans avatar CatMan No Way +1Reply
@CapedCrusader What makes you say that?

Those countries produce the highest amount of soccer talent normally.

@CatMan Those countries produce the highest amount of soccer talent normally.

Considering the US dominates every sport that is popular in the country from basketball to football to swimming to track and field and the list goes on, I can confidently say the United States has the best combination of a large population with many, many talented people and developing that talent through leagues, camps, etc. Because of this, if soccer was the only sport in the world, the US would then produce the highest amount of soccer talent annually.

puts on his american flag speedo and steps onto my harley davidson chopper with my big chuh full of beer AAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMEEEEEEEERRRRRRIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCAAAAAAA MOTHER FUCKKAAAAS. We'll play your weird foreign sports and regain the full glory of the name FOOTBALL by taling it away from your quier ass hacksack type games...

Jonesys avatar Jonesy Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1409042

Eh I didnt agree with you. And I didnt down vote the one above... So your welcome. On the house

Jonesys avatar Jonesy Yeah You Are +4Reply

All I can say is, I'm glad it's not :D

brunetterox915s avatar brunetterox915 Yeah You Are +1Reply

Does that mean I could finally run onto the field butt ass naked waving an american flag?

TheSexyWaffles avatar TheSexyWaffle Yeah You Are +1Reply

What the hell? This is a hypothetical question and no way anyone could accurately predict it. If you are asking whether I believe this would happen, well no. Sorry, I just think this is a really arrogant post.

dan94s avatar dan94 No Way -3Reply

if soccer where a good enough sport we would actually care about it. too bad we have baseball, basketball,and football

gkouls avatar gkoul Yeah You Are -4Reply
@1408978

Because of third world countries. Its a very cheap sport to play, as opposed to basketball, football, etc.

pantherfanatics avatar pantherfanatic Yeah You Are +5Reply
@1409025

I must've missed the part where I said it was a lesser sport. I was merely explaining its popularity.

pantherfanatics avatar pantherfanatic Yeah You Are 0Reply
@LinksLegionaire Dodgerock is cheap, but not very popular.

1. In order to be popular, a sport must be cheap.
2. Soccer is popular.
3. Therefore, Soccer is cheap.
You're trying to commit a logical fallacy.
1. All fish die.
2. Socrates died.
3. Therefore, Socrates is a fish.

See? Doesn't work.

pantherfanatics avatar pantherfanatic Yeah You Are +1Reply
@LinksLegionaire Yeah...it was a joke.

Ah. Well I've certainly seen people on this website who would use a straw man like that as an argument :p

@1409938

Okay, so you don't know what a logical fallacy is. I committed no logical fallacies. My argument was logically air tight, which is to say if you grant the premises, the conclusion follows inevitably, regardless of whether or not you like the conclusion. You can refute my 1st premise, but that does nothing to refute the logical validity of the argument. Besides, hockey is not popular like soccer is. By popular, I meant soccer popular, not basketball popular. I suppose I should've worded that better.

pantherfanatics avatar pantherfanatic Yeah You Are -1Reply
@1410316

No no, you are still not seeing how my argument is logically airtight.
1. All flamingos have razor sharp teeth.
2. Jerry is a flamingo.
3. Therefore, Jerry has razor sharp teeth.
That argument is logically airtight. It's certainly not a good argument, because the 1st premise is easily refuted, but the argument is still logically valid.

That argument was meant to show that you can have cheap, non-popular sports, not that soccer was popular because it was cheap.

Hockey is popular, but not popular enough for 3rd world countries to play it.

@1408978

Because every country is wrong and filled with a bunch of stupid pansies, except America.

Duh. Dun't u no ur heritage me boy?

@1409016

As long as you fought in a war, totally kicking everyone else's ass, because WE'RE AMERICANS!!!, it's okay.

@1409026

Yup. Yer on yer way to bein' a troo Amurican.

I really don't care much for soccer, but it does seem like a hard sport to play, what with all the running. Goodness is a matter of opinion.

@1408978

because that and cricket are mostly the two only sports many other countries have

gkouls avatar gkoul Yeah You Are 0Reply

soccer is shit in this country and no one cares about soccer here, except those who moved here or shit.