+510

I really don't care what religious denomination you are. You can be Athiest, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or even Buddhist for all i care, but if you're going to try to press your views on me, I'm going to be offended. Guaranteed. amirite?

Trish93s avatar
10 20
The voters have decided that Trish93 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

It's 'atheist'. It's fucking spelt 'atheist'

@1117690

They still an opinion though. You can try to convince someone to be an athiest, I think that's what op meant.

@1117690

Its a religious belief though

AshleyKunkles avatar AshleyKunkle Yeah You Are -5Reply
@1117729

The fact that they have no religious belief is belief they believe there is no God.

AshleyKunkles avatar AshleyKunkle Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1117741

Never said it was a religion I said it was a religious belief

@AshleyKunkle Never said it was a religion I said it was a religious belief

Religious beliefs are based IN a religion. What I think he's trying to say is it would sound better if you said they have beliefs ON religion

@1117764

Not all religions have deities.

Since when do religious beliefs have to include a deity? Buddhism doesn't include a deity, does that mean it is not a religion?
@1117759 (Double_hawk): Atheism is a religious belief because it is an organized, intellectual standpoint on religion. It does not entail scientific, political, or social beliefs, regardless of the social stigma a good majority of them have earned. The concept of atheism is purely related to religion, and so it can be seen as a religious belief, even if it is a denial of religion itself.

@heysoulsister Since when do religious beliefs have to include a deity? Buddhism doesn't include a deity, does that mean it is not...

False. You can't say you have a car when in reality you have none, even though having a car and not having a car are both about transportation. Saying atheism is a religious view is putting it in the same vein as theism, which it's not, it's just in the same PART of the body. The part where God is the topic of discussion

@Double_hawk False. You can't say you have a car when in reality you have none, even though having a car and not having a car...

Atheism is a stance on religion, is it not? If it serves any other purpose than to state one's stance on God/religion, do tell.

@heysoulsister Atheism is a stance on religion, is it not? If it serves any other purpose than to state one's stance on...

Atheism has one main purpose, and that is to justify in our own minds actions unpleasing to God, which in turn draws you away from religion and makes you more vulnerable to the enticings of satan. From a secular stand point, yes, it serves the purpose of delivering a stance.

@1118229

Doesn't really matter. Buddhism is considered a religion by most people, especially Buddhists themselves. Religion doesn't have to have a God, it just has to have a focal point of power, which in atheism is the individual. An individual person controls their fate, their destiny, their life. In theistic religion, some kind of higher power controls our lives to some extent. Buddhism also revolves around the individual.

@Atheism isn't organized nor does a religion have to be intellectual

"Atheism" is a collective name, hence organized. Yes, there are many different belief structures and branches within it, but in general the term "atheist" is the title of a collective group of people who deny the existence of a God.

The only time I ever start spouting my beliefs (I'm an Atheist, btw) is either when I'm having an open minded totally non judgemental debate with a theist in which we both agree to not be assholes, or if someone tells me that by being an Atheist, I'm wrong and I will go to (insert bad place you go after you die if you are not part of opposing force's religion.) Then I just go ape shit on them for being assholes to me.

I can see why youd be annoyed, but why offended? Thats stupid.

Ok. Good luck with that.

That's all fine and dandy, as long as you don't push your belief on them either.

lol I believe in god, but one of my friends thought I was atheist. So one day, out of NO WHERE, I get an angry series of texts from them telling me that I'm offending god and being a jerk to god for not believing. He sent me like 7 messages all about how I'm going to hell. I laughed at his ignorance and stupidity and didn't bother to correct him. I'm pretty sure he still thinks I'm atheist.

I'm a Christian, and I want you to know that we don't share our beliefs just to be irritating. We share what we believe because it is the truth. This doesn't apply to each and every situation, of course, and I don't know much about the other religions you listed, but don't think we do it because it makes us feel superior.
We share the gospel because it is, like I said, the truth. And it is a matter of who and what you live for and where you spend eternity. Disagree with me all you like, but I can assure you there will come a day when you wish you would have appreciated someone willing to talk to you about faith and religion. At the very least, don't be upset that someone's trying to be honest with you.