-542

Smoking; Yes it will kill you but so will being fat, skinny, healthy, sick, black, white, or anything else. We all die so who are we to tell people to change their lives when they are perfectly happy? amirite?

boomboomchas avatar
4 83
The voters have decided that boomboomcha is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Everyone does die at some point, but smokers who submit, not only themselves, but strangers to a much more painful death of lung cancer, emphysema, heart disease, etc. isn't nearly the same thing as living a long life and dying naturally. Sure, shit happens and you can have a painful death otherwise. But, by smoking, you're decreasing your lifespan and the lives of others by a large enough amount of time that we should be worried and be trying to stop people from smoking. People who haven't smoked a cigarette a day in their life die from a smoking related death every day. How is that fair? Other people dying from painful lung cancer or having lifelong complications from somebody else having an extremely harmful habit is more what people are worried about, not necessarily the smokers themselves because, hey, they are choosing to kill themselves a decade or so earlier than they should die.

@EXACTLY! Every cigartte lowers your life span 12 minutes...

actually it's like 12 seconds. but still a pack a day is a lot of seconds off your life.

@kodabear911 Everyone does die at some point, but smokers who submit, not only themselves, but strangers to a much more painful...

actually second hand smoke make no significant change in one's health. And if someone chooses to smoke, who the fuck are you to tell them they can't? Maybe they don't care if they get cancer when they are 80. You have no right to impose your wants on another person.

One of the first things Hitler did when he gained power was ban smoking.

@Griffin17 actually second hand smoke make no significant change in one's health. And if someone chooses to smoke, who the...

second hand smoke is just as bad as actually smoking because, with smoking, you have that filter at the end. don't kill me because you want to feed you unhealthy addiction, please.

@Bigblue second hand smoke is just as bad as actually smoking because, with smoking, you have that filter at the end. don't...

did you watch the video in the link i posted above? it clearly states that second hand smoke is NO THREAT to one's health.

@Griffin17 did you watch the video in the link i posted above? it clearly states that second hand smoke is NO THREAT to one's...

the hell is that crap. you expect me to believe something such immature people tell me. that video is bull shit.

@Bigblue the hell is that crap. you expect me to believe something such immature people tell me. that video is bull shit.

Really? Is the President of the American Counsel of Science and Health bullshit? I don't think so.

@Griffin17 Really? Is the President of the American Counsel of Science and Health bullshit? I don't think so.

I mean the people telling the story. if you give me a link to a legitimate site that says so, fine, I'll apologize for my rudeness.

Your comment that second hand smoke isnt a harm to anyone is a crock of shit seeing as I know 3 people who have died from second hand smoke.

Did you not listen to your health teacher at all? Second hand smoking is WORSE then just smoking so, by smoking, your doing more damage to others then your are to yourself. I watched someone die of lung cancer after being exposed to second hand smoking. He was only 46. I will never foget that and I'm only 14 years old. I hope never to see anyone suffer the way he did.

Being human is deadly, we are all going to die lol.

@Grilled_Cheesus But smoking will make you dye QUICKER

And? You may get hit by a bus tomorrow, enjoy life now.

@And? You may get hit by a bus tomorrow, enjoy life now.

and if nothing happens to you and you get lung cancer you will die a slow and painful death.

@Bigblue and if nothing happens to you and you get lung cancer you will die a slow and painful death.

On average, it takes 30-40 years to get lung cancer smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. If you start smoking a pack a day at the age of 18, you will not get cancer until you are 48-58 years old. A lot of people never live to see that age, they die in violent crime, accidents, from other conditions, etc. Why shouldn't they smoke?

@On average, it takes 30-40 years to get lung cancer smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. If you start smoking a pack...

because a lot more people live longer than that. also, you assume they smoke a pack a day. I know people who smoke 2-3 packs.

@Bigblue because a lot more people live longer than that. also, you assume they smoke a pack a day. I know people who smoke...

Well, I know I don't want to live too long. If I reach 68 then it's over, and that's my choice. There is nothing I want to do in life that I can still can if I haven't by that age.

@boomboomcha Being human is deadly, we are all going to die lol.

@251503 (boomboomcha): You can't prevent being human. You can stop smoking. Your logic sucks.

@2Infinity @251503 (boomboomcha): You can't prevent being human. You can stop smoking. Your logic sucks.

What if they don't want to stop? What gives you the right to make choices for other people? Do you think yourself a God? That you have the right to make choices for other people and that they should bend to your will?

@What if they don't want to stop? What gives you the right to make choices for other people? Do you think yourself a...

I have the right to allow myself to live longer, and the second hand smoke is killing me, and what gives you the right to control the length of my life. when you can smoke without second hand smoke, go ahead, kill yourself.

@Bigblue I have the right to allow myself to live longer, and the second hand smoke is killing me, and what gives you the...

Don't hang out with smokers then. Second hand smoke is easy to avoid. Maybe it should be against the law for parents to smoke around their children, or to smoke around public schools, but that is the line.
If people want to smoke they should have the right, if a business owner wants to let it's patrons smoke their, that should be the owners choice. If non-smokers don't like it they don't have to go to those place, or hang out with those people.
If as an adult you hang out in places with second hand smoke enough for it to damage you, you are making a conscious choice to do so. No one is forcing you.

@Don't hang out with smokers then. Second hand smoke is easy to avoid. Maybe it should be against the law for...

That doesnt work. To not encounter smokers you would have to not leave the house. They smoke in the streets and its killing our children.

Its not about telling somebody what to do. If you love someone why would you want them to die faster. Obviously you want to keep them around for as long as possible and smoking is gross.

@Its not about telling somebody what to do. If you love someone why would you want them to die faster. Obviously you...

So for 'you' it is about telling someone what to do. Whether 'you' realize it or not 'you' consider loved ones to be possessions. 'You' wish to extend their life for selfish reasons. So 'you' can have them there because 'you' want them there, not because they want to be there. If they don't mind dieing a few years earlier, it's none of 'your' business. If they feel compelled to take 'your' desires into account that is their choice, but it should remain their choice, not yours.

@So for 'you' it is about telling someone what to do. Whether 'you' realize it or not 'you' consider loved ones to...

your clearly a smoker well have fun dying before all your friends and future children!

@your clearly a smoker well have fun dying before all your friends and future children!

Hi again, actually your wrong, I don't smoke, not really. I used too, for just short of a year in highschool, but I quit. The rush is good but cigarettes just taste bad. I always preferred flavored tobacco, the good stuff, it's not meant for everyday smoking.

Honestly, I do still smoke hookah with certain friends twice a year, and maybe 3-4 cigars over the course of a year, but only when I have some really good scotch to go with it.

People aren't telling smokers to stop smoking to save the smokers' lives; they are telling them to stop to help save lives of the people whose lives are being put at risk because of the smokers...that's why your logic doesn't make sense.

@Griffin17 second hand smoke doesn't have any effect on your health

Except that it does. The scientific community has come to a consensus that, yes, second hand smoke offers many of the same health risks that smoking does. Please show me your facts to back your statement up.

@kodabear911 Except that it does. The scientific community has come to a consensus that, yes, second hand smoke offers many of...

here is a video for you to watch, just under 10 minutes.

you will hear it straight from the President of the American Councel of Science and Health, that second hand smoke causes NO threat to one's health.

the good stuff starts at about the 6 minute mark. Enjoy

@Griffin17 there is a link on the side to watch the second part as well

I watched both, and it definitely gave me a new perspective. You definitely showed me your facts. Now, I know that the scientific reports are slightly bullshit, but I'm still going to stand by them, at least somewhat. All that that show did was choose their side of the argument and then relentlessly make fun of the other side. Isn't that just as biased as the reports that smudge their findings to cater to the "WOW!" factor? Next time, I'd suggest finding a more reliable source for your facts, because that was absolutely no better than the bullshit seen in the reports. The lady said that the best way to lose an argument is to overstate the argument? Wow, how weird is it that we now have two overstated arguments instead of just the one?

@kodabear911 I watched both, and it definitely gave me a new perspective. You definitely showed me your facts. Now, I know that...

so you are going to stand by a study that the federal court threw out because it was FAKED??? that shows me that you are not being open-minded about this. If you don't like smokers, that's fine, just stay away from them. You have no right whatsoever to tell somebody that they cannot smoke because you don't like it.

@Griffin17 so you are going to stand by a study that the federal court threw out because it was FAKED??? that shows me that...

I'm sorry if I'm not being open-minded enough about it for you. I'm sticking with the scientific and medical community because there are more studies done about it, and even a couple that were done after that episode aired. While I may be following them a bit blindly, I'd much rather listen to the surgeon general and the WHO than Penn and Teller, who wouldn't even listen to the anti-smoking activist. They didn't give him even a bit of a chance. Both arguments are way overstated and too biased to make a comfortable decision on, so I'll have to deal with following the doctors blindly. If you would like to follow Penn and Teller blindly as well, all the power to you. Somewhere between both sides is the truth, and until that truth is revealed I'll stick with the doctors, thank you very much.

@kodabear911 I'm sorry if I'm not being open-minded enough about it for you. I'm sticking with the scientific and medical...

Can you show me any of those studies? If you watched the clips, the WHO is mentioned, they based their results on the EPA study which was faked. The anti-smoking activist had plenty of chance to prove his point, but had no evidence to back it up.

@Griffin17 Can you show me any of those studies? If you watched the clips, the WHO is mentioned, they based their results on...

Episode Aired: 2003
2007: http://surgeongeneral.gov/libra...ure/index.html
2006: http://surgeongeneral.gov/libra...oke/index.html
2004: http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/M...ol83/index.php

There, here are some of those studies. To be blunt, I could care less about what Penn and Teller has to say about second hand smoke, and even if the studies aren't real I'd rather follow them blindly than follow two comedians just as blindly. Believing that SHS is dangerous (whether true or not) won't pose any harm to me or other people, while believing that SHS isn't dangerous and not be cautious about people smoking around me could end up giving me lung cancer. I'm not exactly comfortable ignoring all that I've been taught on your say-so, which I really don't think is that outrageous.

I get what you were trying to portray but the sentence was worded horribly. It made you sound like an idiot.

If someone decides to smoke then we shouldn't tell them to stop just because it'll kill them. And what exactly does my Logic suck? I was stating my opinion.

@boomboomcha If someone decides to smoke then we shouldn't tell them to stop just because it'll kill them. And what exactly does...

your logic sucks because being healthy, black or white does not kill you. You cannot die naturally from being a skin color.

@your logic sucks because being healthy, black or white does not kill you. You cannot die naturally from being a...

But just by existing you're going to die... That's the point... Everyone is going to die sooner or later, regardless of age, habits, beliefs, or race.

It kills other people too. Second hand smoke is dangerous as well as smoking yourself. The difference is that the smokers are choosing to take that risk while the bystanders are being subjected to it without an option. I'm against people smoking more because of the health of myself and the other non-smokers being affected, not because of the people who (stupidly, IMO) continue to smoke even after knowing all the health risks to them and their loved ones.

@kodabear911 It kills other people too. Second hand smoke is dangerous as well as smoking yourself. The difference is that the...

Don't hang out with smokers, God knows they don't want you there. Problem solved, that was surprisingly easy.

@Don't hang out with smokers, God knows they don't want you there. Problem solved, that was surprisingly easy.

I have smoker friends, and they don't mind my excessive nagging. some smokers are good people with bad addictions. ban cigarettes and the entire problem is solved. that was surprisingly easy.

@Bigblue I have smoker friends, and they don't mind my excessive nagging. some smokers are good people with bad addictions...

They mind, they just put up with it. Maybe you have some other qualities that compensate for it, but no one likes being nagged.

After smoking in 40 years you have spent about $166666, on just buying cigarettes.

Eh, wow. I guess I am going to die soon since I am white...

God, these posts are so stupid. XD

It's the way you die. I'd rather to live to be old age, and have children and grandchildren. And I really don't want to subject them to secondhand smoke either. I want to die peacefully, not when I'm 50 years old in a hospital with lung cancer.

When I put up this post, I was stating my own opinion. Not a fact or anything like that. My entire family smokes, I don't so I know how that goes. I've had people I care for die of lung cancer and yes I have asthma due to second hand smoke. But I will not go up to someone and say STOP SMOKING just because of those reasons. Don't like their smoking, ask them to leave or you can leave the room. It's their choice. I'll encourage them to stop like I do with my parents but that's it. But this debate thing made me laugh, it even made home page.

You know what he/she meant, no matter what it is you do,smoke or not, you will die. I am against smokers but just dont hang around them when they are smoking and problem solved.

My aunt just got cancer smoking, so stop posting these things

Whatever happened to the simple fact. Smoking is bad for you. No one should try to argue that it's not a big deal and all the non smokers just shouldn't hang around smokers, like that's an easy thing to do. It's a stupid and pointless habit and obviously you have bigger problems if you're trying so hard to defend smoking.

Studies show that 100% of people who use shampoo will eventually die.

i know you want to try to persuade the smokers on here that it is really bad for u to smoke but if they dont have enough selfworth to care whether they live or die then theres no use trying to argue with them.

@253939

Becuase it's a drug. Next you'll be trying to get cocaine to be legal. Smoking doesn't just hurt you, it hurts others. So now I'm a selfish prick to value my life over someone's buzz? What you're saying is like saying, "Murder should be allowed. If someone gets joy from killing other people, those selfish pricks should let them." You wouldn't say that, would you? But it's just the same.

I don't care if someone smokes, that is their choice if they want to die sooner. But I do care that they are killing others because of a dirty habbit. Second hand smoke kills many people, and I would really enjoy it if I could live as long as possible, from old age, not because I got cancer in my lungs without having smoked a day in my life.

@I don't care if someone smokes, that is their choice if they want to die sooner. But I do care that they are...

second hand smoke does not kill anybody, watch this video

there is a link on the side to the second part which breaks down the numbers for you

Okay my parents smoked, and i have both minor asthma and odd allergies due to second hand smoke. You can't say that second hand smoke has no effect. Luckily my parents quit smoking, and they both say they wish they had never started. You want to defend you're right to smoke, i get it, but like many others have said, it affects more than you. I don't want smokers affecting little kids and causing them to check everything they eat because it might have an allergen in it. it's not fair to society for smokers to smoke wherever they want. That's why we have smoking areas. As long as you stick to the areas and the wind doesn't blow all the smoke at me or other people, i guess that's your decision. But i still hope and pray that you can get free of your addiction. You'll see the world is a better place without it.

My boyfriend is trying to quit smoking, not because I asked him to or told him he had to, but because he wants to. He never wanted to get hooked on the stuff in the first place, and now it's hard to quit. I have no problem with anything if it remains a choice, but when it's a need, something needs to happen. I'm just glad for his decision.

Can someone please remind me how being healthy will kill you?

Second hand smoke is the same smoke that comes from cigarettes so it's as harmful as smoking itself. Also, smoking is stupid and there is no point to it. It's not healthy, it destroys your lungs, brain, and body slowly and it has no positive benefit. If people want to smoke, fine. So be it. I'm not telling anyone what to do or to quite smoking. I'm just saying that obviously smoking is bad for you and it actually is a big deal. Now a days, alot of people smoke. Even if you're just walking around in the city or even in a park or something people are smoking. You can't get away from it and it harms innocent people everyday. People who smoke should not act innocent like its no big deal and they can't do anything about it, because they can. I realize it is hard to quite smoking and i understand that. Obviously, everyone dies at some point, its the circle of life. But this natural circle is being corrupted by smoking and other harmful activities, and you can either choose to stop it or not.

i dont know who your health teacher was but being healthy WON'T kill you (neither will being black or white)
just clearing that up

@i dont know who your health teacher was but being healthy WON'T kill you (neither will being black or white) just...

Yes it will. Because everyone is going to die so it doesn't matter who you are or anything, you will die.

yes, but its natural. it doesnt KILL you like smoking does.

Lol, being black is deadly.

You don't want to inhale second-hand smoke in bars and restaurants? Have you considered opening your own non-smoking place to go? No? You say you're too lazy and you'd rather impose your own will on others? What's that? You want to hide behind a veneer of self-righteousness while you do it? You know that the majority of people don't do fact checking on things they hear and will believe you what you tell them as long as you make it sound like your doing the right thing? Oh, well I guess it's a solid plan then... your an asshole but it's a solid plan...

@You don't want to inhale second-hand smoke in bars and restaurants? Have you considered opening your own...

What do you want me to do? Hole myself up into my house? Instead of creating a non-smoking public area, let's create a smoking public area. Instead of non-smoker having to go to specific places, how about smoking in public not be aloud unless in specific smoking areas? A person choosing to smoke should have to go to certain areas, not a person choosing not to.

@What do you want me to do? Hole myself up into my house? Instead of creating a non-smoking public area, let's...

A non-smoker walks into a smoky bar, he coughs and asks everyone to put out there cigarettes, as they are bad for his health and he doesn't care for them. Everyone laughs at him. "Who does this guy think he is" they all say. The man becomes upset and leaves.
The non-smoking man goes home and stews in his discontent. "I should be able to go to a bar without coughing on smoke" he says to his to his to the person who just happens to be there.
"Why don't you open one?" they reply.
"I have no money too," he says, "and why should I? They shouldn't be smoking anyway, it's bad for them."
"It's their bar," the the other person responds, "should they not be allowed to do as they please?"
"It is a public bar" he says indignantly, "and I am a customer, I should not be put in danger."
"Then do not be a customer, find another place and you will be in no danger" says the other as they try to reason with him.
"I will not, I will have my way and I will go that bar." to be cont.

@A non-smoker walks into a smoky bar, he coughs and asks everyone to put out there cigarettes, as they are bad for...

cont. from above.
"I will go to speak with the mayor, the city council, my congressman. I will see a smoking ban put in place, and I will have my way" the non-smoking man declares, "I shall repeat myself, they should not be smoking anyway, they should thank me. I do them a service they will not do for themselves."
"It is a service they do not want." the other says in vain, "and it is their bar. You would be doing them an injustice, denying them their own will. In all the annals of history that has never gone well."
"It will go well this time, and it will be done." he says with an indignant resolve. "In this I am right, and I a have the strength of numbers on my side. This is my goal, and I will see it carried out."

And the man did carry out his goal. The people could no longer smoke in their bar, that they built for their own ends. As unfair as it truly was it came to be, the numbers were not on their side.

@cont. from above. "I will go to speak with the mayor, the city council, my congressman. I will see a smoking ban...

I made quite a few typos didn't I? Well whatever, it's some simple prose in a comment thread.

I went to check out this site for the first time, and was truly disappointed.It seems that the only people active on this site are adults and mormons. Smokers, just stop trying to persuade these people to stop complaining about smoking and what not.. Smokers have the right to choose the way to live their life, just as people who go tanning. There's a simple solution to your problem: step away from the smokers! If you don't like the smoke, move aside. Fumb Ducks.

Non-smokers annoy me... Much like vegetarians and christians. eyeroll

@Non-smokers annoy me... Much like vegetarians and christians. eyeroll

:

Excuse me? I annoy you becuase I don't smoke and have a religious opinion? Okay, it's one thing to say that someone smoking around you is annoying becuase you are inhaling smoke when you have made a choice not too, and it's another to say someone annoys you becuase they have an opinion on not eating animals, not smoking, or worshiping who they believe it. I'm against saying this, but I seriously think that you are the selfish one.

I'm a smoker..... and vegetarian. Not a christian though! I believe we can still be friends =)